The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Line out on gm40

j200george
    j200george

Line out on gm40 Empty Line out on gm40

Post by j200george Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:58 pm

So I connect my gm40 line out to my fender Princeton 68 reverb to work as a stereo pair. Is this ok?

Also is it normal for the line out still to be heard when the gm40 is in standby?
    spikey
    spikey

Line out on gm40 Empty Re: Line out on gm40

Post by spikey Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:52 am

In the manual Line out says "The Line Out offers you the chance to patch the preamp signal to another power amp or to a tuner."

Says it's -10dbv out clean with all pots centered. So If you are putting this signal into the front of the Princeton 68 Reverb it may too hot I'm thinking, IF it's indeed Line level.

The question I have is, this line out is "preamp only" and before the Redbox AE out, and just before the power amp in?

In other words it's path uses all 3 12ax7 tubes and then outputs at a line level signal, correct?

Why be so anal? Ive assumed before and was wrong... lol!

j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Should the signal from the line out switch off when the amp goes into standby? Can someone possibly check their own amp?

I think the signal is ok for the Princeton 68, that said it is unfeaibly loud at even volume levels at 2-3.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:56 am

Again apologies for not talking about the GM40D but there is no info on it yet. It has to be repeated that in terms of its general layout and the way things are done it is very likely almost identical. The voicing may be different, that is what they are constantly talking about on their FB page, but they are not designing a completely new amp, just subtly tweaking the existing one.

The Standby on the GM36 works by closing off the current in only the EL84 output valves via the TSC control in their cathodes. This is totally different to the way it is normally done and far superior in many ways. Most amps couldn't do it this way as they have no form of TSC of course. That means that the whole of the preamp section, alll of the 12AX7s, are left on and working. The Line Out comes after them of course so the LO will stay active even in Standby. It is also before the Master Volume so is unaffected by that too, (unless they've changed it of course).

It would be very easy to put a couple of resistors in the signal line between the amps to just drop the signal level into the Fender to any value you want. You could even do that invisibly inside the plug.

Rock On Humble Pie
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Excellent thank you for confirming, don't think I'll mod the cable though. I'll take the feed from output 2/R on my es-8. Unfortunately this only allows a signal boost from 0db up but the H9 output can be tamed a fair way. It's all just not as plug and play in some ways as my last rig but I'm sure once I understand the basics it'll be a keeper.
    spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:34 pm

bordonbert wrote:The Line Out comes after them of course so the LO will stay active even in Standby. It is also before the Master Volume so is unaffected by that too, (unless they've changed it of course).

Thanks for that info-!
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:41 pm

I am probably going to make myself a little more stupid but hey ho, I'm not familiar with line levels etc. Can I take the red box out and feed my second amp? There's a line/ mic switch...

I guess I've already got it sorted by coming off of output 2/r on my boss es-8 in wet/dry mode but I've not played at performance volumes yet.

Every days a school day.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 4:59 pm