The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

GM40 with Line 6 Powercab

Madtone
    Madtone

GM40 with Line 6 Powercab Empty GM40 with Line 6 Powercab

Post by Madtone Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:12 pm

I’ve looked all over the internet to see if there is any advice or reviews of anyone using an frfr speaker or an active cab such as the Line6 PC to no avail. So, What the heck I thought I’d try something different, what’s the point of having red box DI capability if you don’t use it. So I’ve taken the plunge and got one on order, should arrive Tuesday next week.
    We’re only a little three piece trio not too loud so can’t crank the GM up with a normal cab setup to get the sounds I like so when I gig at the moment use the red box DI, no cab and rely on monitored mix of whole band to hear my guitar. This isn’t perfect so hoping to use the PC for
    a) practice use at home as you would a normal cab
    b) monitor for guitar only sending PC out to pa for live gigs
    Anyone had any experience using frfr or PC with their H&K?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

GM40 with Line 6 Powercab Empty Re: GM40 with Line 6 Powercab

Post by bordonbert Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 am

This is something I've always wondered about and really wanted to try but never got round to it Madtone.  I'll be interested to hear what you think.

The idea of taking out the LOUD power amp section and replacing it with a quiet one while keeping the entire driven tone of the amp through the emulator is very appealing.  It's done very successfully in a handful of good modelling amps such as my old trusty original Valvetronix AD120VT (here he goes with that bloody Vox again  Rolling Eyes ) and the principle really works in my opinion.  As long as the Redbox does its part and the active speaker is very neutral then I would hope you have a winner.

I will say that you can't expect the guitar to feel the same under your hands. That Valvetronix is one of the project original bluefaces before the accountants ruined them by trying to cut corners. It is awesome played loud and keeps its tone at lower volumes too of course. It's basically set up pretty much just as you envisage using your GM. It has a digital modelled preamp section driving a miniature MOSFET/12AX7 valve power amp complete with output transformer and simulated load to give it its tone. The valve amp, transformer and load are then actually worked into the feedback loop of the ultra clean high power amp. Sounds great at all levels but you can feel the physical response of a guitar damp down as you drop the amp volume below a certain level and it isn't then physically driven through the air. If you can cope with that then you should be fine.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Madtone
    Madtone

Post by Madtone Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:08 am

Bordonbert, that’s exactly what I hope to achieve. I want to be able to push the amp hard, but manage volume out accordingly (I will still have the ability to crank it up at home). That would appear to be the unique ability of H&K with redbox out. My view is if it’s there why not use it. Our keyboard player is a little hard of hearing and has just got a small monitor for his keyboards which gave me the idea. I like the sound I’m getting FOH with power amp past 12oclock, so hopefully the powercab lives up to the line 6 claim that it’s like an “amp in the room”. It does have a frfr mode, but also has 6 different speaker simulations which can be used to emulate different speaker styles. Hope it works, I’ve just got rid of my ‘87 Silver Jubilee cabs to fund this 😨

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am