The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Mixing speaker impedance

Dangercow
    Dangercow

Mixing speaker impedance  Empty Mixing speaker impedance

Post by Dangercow Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:45 pm

I'm wondering if I can connect an 8ohm Celestion 8 inch speaker cab to the "out" of my 16ohm TM112 cab from a TM Deluxe 20?

I have the 8 inch cab laying around and would love some low-volume stereo sound from the two speakers connected to my amp. I haven't been able to Google up an answer that makes sense to me.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Mixing speaker impedance  Empty Re: Mixing speaker impedance

Post by bordonbert Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:51 pm

Not recommended I'm afraid Dangercow.  The out on your TM112 is a parallel connection to the speaker inside.  Hooking up an 8ohm impedance speaker to the 16ohms that you have inside it will give an overall 5.33ohms and that's too low to work with from your 8-16ohm H&K output.

And, not wishing to be too nitpicky but you won't get stereo sound out of that setup anyway.  You are sending the same signal from a single amp to both speakers, it's really binaural and won't give any sense of space or time delay, only a fixed central mono image (assuming the two speakers were balanced volume wise which these two wouldn't be anyway).  You would need to have separate amps driving each speaker with either different settings or a different effects selection to each before you got any sense of a true stereo effect.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Dangercow
    Dangercow

Post by Dangercow Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:36 pm

Gotcha, thank you for the explanation, that all makes sense now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:00 pm