The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

WMI-1 MIDI Thru Problem!!

andrehughes
    andrehughes

WMI-1 MIDI Thru Problem!! Empty WMI-1 MIDI Thru Problem!!

Post by andrehughes Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi The MIDI thru function of the WMI-1 interface only passes program changes from the Hughes and Kettner MIDI footswitch.  I want to switch my Grandmeister head from my sequencer.  Which works fine when I plug the Midi cable directly from the sequencer into the MIDI In on the Grandmeister.  But if I have the WMI-1 plugged into the head, and the sequencer plugged into the WMI-1, the MIDI messages are not passed thru.  

Plugging the Hughes & Kettner MIDI footswitch into the WMI-1 there is no such problem.  The program changes are passed right through.  Any ideas please, this is maddening.  I am going to have to buy MIDI Solutions interfaces to merge data to get around this problem, which is ridiculous.  Why is the WMI-1 not passing MIDI program changes from other devices besides the Hughes & Kettner footswitch?

CapedSam likes this post

bordonbert
    bordonbert

WMI-1 MIDI Thru Problem!! Empty Re: WMI-1 MIDI Thru Problem!!

Post by bordonbert Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:57 am

I'm not a WM-1 user but that seems odd to me Andre. If the FSM432 works when plugged into both the amp and the WM-1 then the WM-1 would seem to be fine along with the amp and controller. If the sequencer works direct into the amp then the sequencer should be fine. The only other thing I can think of then would be cables. The FSM432 needs to be powered so it has a 7pin feed from the amp hence the specific H&K cable. The top 5 pins are the usual MIDI pinout and the extra 2 lower pins take care of the DC power.

What is the sequencer you are using? Have you tried with different cables?

Rock On Humble Pie
    CapedSam
    CapedSam

Post by CapedSam Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:22 am

andrehughes wrote:Hi The MIDI thru function of the WMI-1 interface only passes program changes from the Hughes and Kettner MIDI footswitch.  I want to switch my Grandmeister head from my sequencer.  Which works fine when I plug the Midi cable directly from the sequencer into the MIDI In on the Grandmeister.  But if I have the WMI-1 plugged into the head, and the sequencer plugged into the WMI-1, the MIDI messages are not passed thru.  

Plugging the Hughes & Kettner MIDI footswitch into the WMI-1 there is no such problem.  The program changes are passed right through.  Any ideas please, this is maddening.  I am going to have to buy MIDI Solutions interfaces to merge data to get around this problem, which is ridiculous.  Why is the WMI-1 not passing MIDI program changes from other devices besides the Hughes & Kettner footswitch?

Hi andrehughes - have you tried this:

Plug the sequencer into the WMI-1 before powering on the amp, or WMI-1.

I just fought for an hour to get a midi thru signal to pass from my Behringer FCB1010 through the WMI-1 and into the head.
    When I simply turned it all off and reconnected, it worked.

bordonbert likes this post

CapedSam
    CapedSam

Post by CapedSam Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:51 pm

CapedSam wrote:
    andrehughes wrote:Hi The MIDI thru function of the WMI-1 interface only passes program changes from the Hughes and Kettner MIDI footswitch.  I want to switch my Grandmeister head from my sequencer.  Which works fine when I plug the Midi cable directly from the sequencer into the MIDI In on the Grandmeister.  But if I have the WMI-1 plugged into the head, and the sequencer plugged into the WMI-1, the MIDI messages are not passed thru.  

Hi andrehughes - have you tried this:

Plug the sequencer into the WMI-1 before powering on the amp, or WMI-1.  

I just fought for an hour to get a midi thru signal to pass from my Behringer FCB1010 through the WMI-1 and into the head.  
    When I simply turned it all off and reconnected, it worked.  

For what it's worth, I can't get the seemingly same thing to work today! Something is definitely picky in this setup. I cannot for the life of me get the WMI-1 to reliably pass midi through either.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:35 pm

I'm looking for just simple things from scanning the manual. Are you using MIDI Input 2 to connect the controller MIDI Output to the WM-1?

If things work as you suggest then it looks to me as though there may well be something wrong in the settings of the controller. The amp and WM-1 talk together. The FSM432 talks to the amp through the WM-1. The odd man out is the controller which is the only aspect that does not do as it should. I would check out everything that you can in there.

What sequencer are you using?

Rock On Humble Pie
    CapedSam
    CapedSam

WMI-1 MIDI Thru Problem!! Empty I blame WMI-1's MIDI-2 input

Post by CapedSam Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:57 pm

I'm on Day 3 of trying to get something similar to work, to no avail.

Here's my current experiment.

Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller.
    When connected directly to the HKGM40D MIDI In, the foot controller changes the amp's settings as expected.
    When the Behringer is connected to the WMI-1 MIDI In2 first, the foot controller does NOT change anything about the amp.  The WMI-1, however, can change the amp's settings with the iPad app.

It seems to me that the WMI-1's MIDI IN2 is not a pure midi in?  I tried using midi ox to see if the Behringer's signal goes through by looking at the amp's MIDI out, and the signal does not pass through both the amp and the WMI-1.

I seem to agree: there are issues with the MIDI in 2.  Perhaps it works with the HK 432 footswitch (I don't own one to test), but it doesn't seem to behave with the Behringer.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:18 pm

Well done for having the stamina to stick with this Sam.  Looking into the Behringer manual I confirmed that it does deal with SysEx messages, (never really in doubt but good to confirm).  However I found something which I wasn't sure of as I am not a user...

FCB1010 Manual wrote:2.2 GLOBAL CONFIGURATION
    In the GLOBAL CONFIGURATION menu you can set the parameters that apply to both the PRESETS and FUNCTIONS of your FCB1010 (e.g. MIDI channel selection, SysEx SEND & RCV, DIRECT SELECT etc.). Keep the DOWN switch pressed during power-up for about 2.5 sec to enter GLOBAL CONFIGURATION mode.

I know the Behringer works when connected directly with the amp so this should be a done deal but has SysEx been set up in your Global Configuration?

Should have added that the MIDI Thru seems to work with other controller setups. I have always assumed from other people's experiences that it was simple and strict MIDI. (Got to admit that I'm one of the Luddites who never uses this wirelessly on stage. I much prefer to have simple reliable cables connecting everything. At least you can see or simply test when a cable is suspect and replace cheaply, though I grant you MIDI cables are notoriously short lived and flaky).

Rock On Humble Pie

CapedSam likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:32 pm