The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

GM 36 parts needed

tinearjones
    tinearjones

GM 36 parts needed Empty GM 36 parts needed

Post by tinearjones Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:06 pm

So I replaced tubes in my GM 36 and managed to misplace the screws in the endcaps that hold the top cover in place as well as a couple of the screws that hold the handles in place on the endcaps.  GM 36 parts needed 1f615  GM 36 parts needed 1f615  

Anyone know of a source? I've had no luck locating replacements.

Thanks!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

GM 36 parts needed Empty Re: GM 36 parts needed

Post by bordonbert Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:09 pm

There isn't anything special about them.

They are plain old black pan head Pozi/Phillips/crosshead screws.

No need to look for stainless steel types but a lot will be.

They are all M4, that's a bugger if you are American and anything metric blows a fuse.  Wink

5 of them are 25mm long and one is only 20mm.  The short one goes in the middle level front position.  That's holding the chrome handle on at the front of the amp.  I'm not absolutely sure of this but it's probably important to get that shorter because I think it may damage the plexi screen if it is too long.  My own original are certainly 20mm.  And the two holding the chrome handle on originally have M4 lock washers under them.

Here is a link to something that would do.  Anything like that will be fine, just remember they need to be M4.  Black M4 Screw These are so standard that ebay is your friend, (in this case).

By the way, just for future reference and for anyone else who comes across this, the correct procedure to take the cover off is as follows:  Remove the top two screws completely.  Remove the middle rear screw completely but ignore the middle front as it only holds the handle to the end cap.  Loosen the bottom two screws by only a couple of turns to allow the end cap to flop outwards.  There is an "anti-tamper" device on those bottom screws which shows anyone working on the amp officially that it has been opened.  It is destroyed when the screw is removed but is fine if it is only loosened.  On refitting make sure to fit the LED PCB on top of the plexi screen correctly so as not to damage it.  Also dress the wires to the PCB so they aren't nipped either.

Rock On Humble Pie

tinearjones likes this post

tinearjones
    tinearjones

Post by tinearjones Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:18 pm

Thank you for the swift reply and useful info! Will be sourcing these over the weekend, hopefully here in the US to minimize delivery time.

I concur wholeheartedly with the disassembly notes and had read something similar sometime back when looking into tube replacement. I'm well out of warranty now but recall that the process was to hopefully prevent voiding an in-force warranty. Regardless, I managed to misplace the removed screws [that will no doubt show up as soon a the order has been received ].

EDIT: Ebay was indeed my friend, have screws and washers ordered and to be delivered by next week's end. I typically don't leave projects undone and this is one reason why. Again, thanks!

EDIT_2: SS M4 Screws in various length/quantities

bordonbert wrote:There isn't anything special about them.

They are plain old black pan head Pozi/Phillips/crosshead screws.

No need to look for stainless steel types but a lot will be.

They are all M4, that's a bugger if you are American and anything metric blows a fuse.  Wink

5 of them are 25mm long and one is only 20mm.  The short one goes in the middle level front position.  That's holding the chrome handle on at the front of the amp.  I'm not absolutely sure of this but it's probably important to get that shorter because I think it may damage the plexi screen if it is too long.  My own original are certainly 20mm.  And the two holding the chrome handle on originally have M4 lock washers under them.

Here is a link to something that would do.  Anything like that will be fine, just remember they need to be M4.  Black M4 Screw  These are so standard that ebay is your friend, (in this case).

By the way, just for future reference and for anyone else who comes across this, the correct procedure to take the cover off is as follows:  Remove the top two screws completely.  Remove the middle rear screw completely but ignore the middle front as it only holds the handle to the end cap.  Loosen the bottom two screws by only a couple of turns to allow the end cap to flop outwards.  There is an "anti-tamper" device on those bottom screws which shows anyone working on the amp officially that it has been opened.  It is destroyed when the screw is removed but is fine if it is only loosened.  On refitting make sure to fit the LED PCB on top of the plexi screen correctly so as not to damage it.  Also dress the wires to the PCB so they aren't nipped either.

bordonbert likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:44 pm