The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

MIDI connection to TC Electronics G system

Clay101
    Clay101

MIDI connection to TC Electronics G system  Empty MIDI connection to TC Electronics G system

Post by Clay101 Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:15 am

Black Spirit Floor.
    I have been using my G System with a H&K Triamp MKIi successfully for 9 years. I run it 4 cable and use the MIDI to switch channels on the Triamp.

I am trying to connect my new Black Spirit Floor using the same Gsystem in the same way and want to change from preset to preset (e.g. clean to crunch) in the same way as I do with the Triamp. I am finding the midi connection info in the Spirit Manual very limited.
    I contacted H & K and explained the issue and he sent me a copy of the manual and pointed me to the same place. I explained the issue in more detail and he sent me to the same place again.
    It shows me how to connect the midi channel but not how to identify the preset for selection.
    I'm not a midi expert but had no problem connecting the Triamp. What am I missing?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

MIDI connection to TC Electronics G system  Empty Re: MIDI connection to TC Electronics G system

Post by bordonbert Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:57 am

Hi there Clay.  Is anything happening at all on the BSF when you make changes on the G System?

I'm no BSF expert in any way, (or Triamp) for that matter, I've never had one under my fingers, but the usual modern way to set up the H&K amps' MIDI section is to start with matching the comms channel.  Does this match on both your GSystem and BSF?

Just in case, check your GSystem with [Edit -> Menu -> Page -> Enter] and the display will show the channel currently selected.  For the BSF use [Hold Fx Access + Fx Loop for 3secs -> Store button lights up] and the 4 Channel leds will show which channel that is set to communicate on.  The leds display the channel number in binary form + 1.  Be clear on this, all binary representations must have "1" added to them to get the channel number.  By that I mean that, for example, 11 = 8 + 2 + 1 which is 1011 in binary.  This is represented by Clean 8 + Lead 2 + 1 for the common fixed value, to get 11.  If you expect Clean + Lead + Ultra, (1011), and set it up for that you will get the channel wrong as both Crunch and Ultra must be off for channel 11.  In reality that is represented by 1010 + 1.

Also, on the H&K, if the Omni option is set up the Boost light will be on when you enter MIDI setup mode with Fx Access + Fx Loop. How is that showing?

Can you just confirm that the two units are on the same channel? If the binary thing is not clear just tell us which leds are lit up and we can confirm what they represent.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Clay101
    Clay101

MIDI connection to TC Electronics G system  Empty Re: MIDI connection to TC Electronics G system

Post by Clay101 Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:33 pm

Hi Guys

There is no response from the BSF. Analog signals pass through the effect loop OK using the 4 cable connection.

MIDI channel for G system is Channel 1 (see linked photo)
    Prg.Chng.Out: On Map
    OMNI only functions on G System for incoming MIDI and Laird Williams says to leave it off for sending MIDI

BSF also set to channel 1 (see linked photo) and currently set to OMNI (I can also see these settings via the App on my ipad)

The goal is to change Presets using this process

e.g.
    PrgMap: 00-1 to 1 (to acheive H+K Factory Presets 1 Clean)
    PrgMap: 00-1 to 2 (to acheive H+K Factory Presets 2 Crunch)
    PrgMap: 00-1 to 3 (to acheive H+K Factory Presets 3 Lead)

So the G System still provides the effects and the Floor replaces the Triamp

Thanks

Clay

bordonbert wrote:Hi there Clay.  Is anything happening at all on the BSF when you make changes on the G System?

I'm no BSF expert in any way, (or Triamp) for that matter, I've never had one under my fingers, but the usual modern way to set up the H&K amps' MIDI section is to start with matching the comms channel.  Does this match on both your GSystem and BSF?

Just in case, check your GSystem with [Edit -> Menu -> Page -> Enter] and the display will show the channel currently selected.  For the BSF use [Hold Fx Access + Fx Loop for 3secs -> Store button lights up] and the 4 Channel leds will show which channel that is set to communicate on.  The leds display the channel number in binary form + 1.  Be clear on this, all binary representations must have "1" added to them to get the channel number.  By that I mean that, for example, 11 = 8 + 2 + 1 which is 1011 in binary.  This is represented by Clean 8 + Lead 2 + 1 for the common fixed value, to get 11.  If you expect Clean + Lead + Ultra, (1011), and set it up for that you will get the channel wrong as both Crunch and Ultra must be off for channel 11.  In reality that is represented by 1010 + 1.

Also, on the H&K, if the Omni option is set up the Boost light will be on when you enter MIDI setup mode with Fx Access + Fx Loop.  How is that showing?

Can you just confirm that the two units are on the same channel?  If the binary thing is not clear just tell us which leds are lit up and we can confirm what they represent.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:50 am

It looks like something went wrong with your photo attachment/link Clay.  Can you post it again please. If you attached it make sure you use [Choose File] first then also [Submit] when you have it selected. It should not be too big, there is a 1.172Mb limit you can't exceed. You can see that below. It actually says "1.172 Mb" (that is Megabit!) rather than MB (Megabyte). I've never worked out if that is an accurate size limit or a typo. You should see it listed as an attachment just below your reply editing section with a [Delete] button after it.

If you are linking to a file externally use the [Link Chain] button above. You need to put the site URL in the first box and any wording you want to use as your displayed text to activate the link in your post in the second.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Clay101
    Clay101

Post by Clay101 Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:58 am

MIDI connection to TC Electronics G system  H_and_11
    MIDI connection to TC Electronics G system  T_c_el11
    Clay101
    Clay101

Post by Clay101 Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:44 am

Hey Bordenbert!

When you've checked all your MIDI programming and nothing talks to each other, what should you check?
    The MIDI cable.

When you've checked all your MIDI programming and nothing talks to each other, nd you've replaced the MIDI cable what should you check then?

The replacement MIDI cable.

Who'd have thought they'd BOTH be broken!!

Many thanks for your support. I see you're a prolific contributor to this forum. I'll keep an eye out and hopefully I'll be able to pay it forward.

Many thanks.

Clay
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:21 am

Hahaha! Been there, done that!!!! Embarassed Laughing

Great it's such a simple fix Clay. I was posting about PC and CC messages and how things worked on the GS when your own post came in. Don't need any of that now, you've obviously got a handle on what is going on now. Hope the two units work well together.

Happy strumming! cheers

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:12 pm