The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+2
bordonbert
CSG
6 posters

Tone Caps for TMeister18

bdw
    bdw

Tone Caps for TMeister18 - Page 2 Empty Re: Tone Caps for TMeister18

Post by bdw Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:04 pm

bordonbert wrote:

more difficult than traditional open build amps unless you are used to working on tightly packed circuitry.

So, almost impossible, LOL!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:30 pm

Now less of that defeatist attitude Brad! Very Happy (I knew we were going to have trouble with you Razz )

We-e-e-ell, ok,  scratch it's virtually impossible for most users then.  But we can all learn can't we?  cheers

(All the usual high voltage disclaimers apply there in amongst that banter!!!!!!  Not for you to fiddle if you don't know what you are doing or have very strict insurance policies.)

Rock On Humble Pie
    bdw
    bdw

Post by bdw Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:40 pm

I failed the 2M Technician test way back when I was still young, because I couldn't hold my hand steady enough to solder tiny components. I don't imagine that has improved with age.
    ignantios
    ignantios

Post by ignantios Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:10 am

Something went wrong and my profile appears with a picture(avatar) that is not mine!
    If someone from the moderators reads it please let me know.

Anyway I have stated before that I bought this amp(grandmeister) specially for its compact design power soak and some digital convenience (presets ,effects etc) .Apart from that I am the opinion that the sound is grainy and very hi-fi not so creamy.So I had the impression that this situation can be altered via modifications. I could have been wrong.My bad.
    bdw
    bdw

Post by bdw Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:16 am

That's the default avatar. If you don't like it, you'll have to change it.
    ignantios
    ignantios

Post by ignantios Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:20 am

Very Happy

didn't know my friend .Thanks much better now. Prettier ,better Guitar player ,more stylish !
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:38 am

You're not wrong Ignantios, you COULD change the tone with modifications, it's just not as easy to do that as with some amps of a more traditional design. But it has honestly been my experience that the usual criticisms can be cleared up with attention to the outside elements. You don't need to get in and pull the guts out then weld "better quality" components in place to get to sound great.

The GM definitely can sound grainy when it first comes. Valves can sort most of that out. The hardness in the top end is cured with thoughtful speaker selection. As for hifi sound, mine certainly doesn't sound like that. It can be laid back and clean when I want it to but it can give a beautiful roar if I push it, and the creaminess is in there, you just have to find the way to get it out. That said, if creaminess is what you want there are amps out there that offer that up straight out of the box. But they don't have the overall flexibility and all round skills that the GM has.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 11:40 pm