The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

5 posters

Test Recording

yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

Test Recording Empty Test Recording

Post by yoMuzicMan Wed May 28, 2014 5:46 pm

I've created a test recording of my GM36 using JJ tubes.  I recorded via the Redbox output into Reaper and put some EQ on the guitar tracks to cut 100Hz and boost 3500Hz a little.  No other effects were added from Reaper.  The delay is coming from the GM36.

Guitar backing track is the crunch channel while the lead track is the Ultra with boost enabled.  Not the cleanest solo, but I like the tone so far.

https://soundcloud.com/ron-lucas-vivid-fiction/idea-051
    Teddis
    Teddis

Test Recording Empty Re: Test Recording

Post by Teddis Wed May 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Nice man !!!! Sounded great RED BOX ROCKS !!!
    HwyStar
    HwyStar
    Admin

Post by HwyStar Wed May 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Nice recording Ral! It sounded good through my all-in-one computer speakers. The true test of a good recording. If it sounds good through crap speakers it will sound great with mid and high-end gear!

yoMuzicMan

Post by yoMuzicMan Thu May 29, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks. I re-recorded the lead guitar a little cleaner and added a stereo guitar track...the link original link has been updated with the new track. When I listened to the previous upload in headphones, everything was muddy with it all centered. Hopefully the clarity will be better with the guitars around you. Not sure if I should try to use an impulse for the redbox tracks. I may do that next and see which I like better. But man, I do love the sound of this amp so far. I didn't think I'd like the Ultra channel as it has way too much gain for me, but at low gain with the boost enabled, it's my kind of lead sound.
    HwyStar
    HwyStar
    Admin

Post by HwyStar Sat May 31, 2014 9:01 am

That sounds really good Ron!

I drank the purple kool aid for about six months using an Axe FX II and your recording sounds just as good as anything I ever heard using the Axe. Everyone on that forum was raving so much about that processor's sound and many of the recordings posted there did sound really, really good, but playing it live using FRFR didn't do a thing for me.

It is nice to have a great 4 channel amp, that sounds good on every channel, with a built in foot pedal and effects that records really well! What's not to like?

Good Job Mate!

XploZiveToyz

Post by XploZiveToyz Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:34 am

Nice! It's good to see a fellow Reaper user here. It proves you're an intelligent man! I can't for the life of me understand why people want to spend hard-earned money on expensive DAW's when Reaper can do anything and everything any of the high-priced DAW's can do. And all it cost is $60.00. LOL! Very nice tones!
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:16 am

I'm late to the party here but your recording sounds great!!! I haven't done any recording with my GM36 yet but I did some recording with my prior TM18... I was able to get usable tones but not without hours and hours of trial and error... granted I'm not a studio engineer...

The first issue I dealt with was, the signal coming from the Red Box seemed really hot, harsh. Eventually I realized it is a line level signal and my recording interface (Presonus USB Audiobox) only has mic/instr level inputs. So, I got a -40dB attenuator and that helped a lot, dropping the level down. But I still had a signal/tone that seemed a bit sterile... some strategic EQ'ing (like you did) pretty much fixed that.

Just recently I came across this YT video of a H&K Recording Clinic that seems to offer some good tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCWscNz8HGQ In particular, I'm interested in trying that IR plug-in.

Long story short, I've made some decent progress on my own but I feel like I could use some more pointers... anyone feel like sharing their secrets?

yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

Post by yoMuzicMan Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks for the feedback on the recording.  Funny you saw the YT video as well.  I pretty much used his EQ settings on my recording but didn't use an impulse.  I just used the Redbox out into my DAW (Reaper) via Scarlet Solo interface and then some EQ.  The delay was coming from the GM36.

I'm still going in circles trying to nail down a setup which gives me portability and the same configuration home and live.  I was using the GM36 with a 2x12 cabinet live.  At home, as you noticed, I began using the GM36 Redbox for recording.  But then I found S-Gear software and fell in love with it.  So I've been playing around with S-Gear and considered getting a new laptop for live use using S-Gear.  Still not sure this is the right solution just yet, but many people claim it works great.

It's been a while since I used by GM36 direct into my computer...probably months.  But I hooked it up again yesterday and can still think I can make it work for both home and live.  Where I struggle is getting a great tone through the cabinet and the Redbox out at the same time.  I can dial in a nice tone for the cabinet, but then the Redbox isn't quite what I like.  And if I dial in the Redbox first, then the cabinet isn't quite right.  So......, I may end up ditching the cabinet and trying just the GM36 head for home and live.  This way I can dial in the Redbox and not have to worry about how the cabinet sounds.  Plus this makes my live setup more portable.

I plan on comparing Redbox recordings with a cabinet plugged in and with no cabinet. With a cabinet plugged in and the back switches all of (thus having the amp in 36 watt mode), the Redbox out contains the sound of all 4 power tubes. With the cabinet disconnected, the GM36 shuts down 2 of the power amp tubes. Hopefully the sound doesn't change much.

More to come...

Ron

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 9:20 am