The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+2
VoodooJeff
HwyStar
6 posters

Share/Attach GM 36 Presets here!

HwyStar
    HwyStar
    Admin

Share/Attach GM 36 Presets here! Empty Share/Attach GM 36 Presets here!

Post by HwyStar Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Attach .gm36 files (rename the file extension to .txt (sample.gm36 -> sample.txt) as .txt files in the posts here so that we can send presets to each other.

Let me know how this works. I am in Virginia right now and do not have access to any .gm36 files. I don't think that this forum will complain about text files being sent with binary data in them. I don;t think they parse the data.

As with any forum or internet presence, be careful of any file you ever download!

I will update this post after we determine this can work. I will put the procedures in place on how to attach the files (with pictures), when I get home.

VoodooJeff

Share/Attach GM 36 Presets here! Empty Re: Share/Attach GM 36 Presets here!

Post by VoodooJeff Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 pm

This is super cool. I will see some of the people from H&K again at the end of April and I will ask if they have any interest in at least doing what they can to make some potential forum features like this more accessible to the people (person) running the forum (ie; footing the bill for the means to insure it runs as it should). As I`ve said, I make no claims to any guarantee of compliance on their part, but I will ask.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:04 am

Ok, so I tried to give the first offering.  It was nothing original I'm afraid, I just thought it might be useful to have the original factory settings on file somewhere.  I was using the factory.gm36 file edited to 'factory.txt', the .gm36 format is just textual anyway.  But I can't find a way to get that file uploaded.  If I choose the "Host An Image" button above, I can navigate to it, select it, then when I upload it I see the progress bar complete but I get an Error message saying "An Error Occurred. Your uploaded file is too large or corrupted".  Now this might be a full 128 patches but it is still only shows as 35.67kB which is smaller than the pics we post.

I know Hwystar posted a small text file, I downloaded and read it (some hope Hwy!), so I also tried it with a single voice and that was successful.  The process is obviously there and working so then I tried to upload parts of the settings.  Just sending 1/4 of the patches was still too big, that's 32 which made a file of just under 9kB.  I eventually got away with 16 patches at just under 5kB.  Are we restricted in size to that much?

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:42 pm

I'm going to try to get the factory settings up here for reference.  You can see from my previous post that I had trouble with the size of the files it would accept so I thought I would have had to split them out into 8 files which each hold 16 patches. It looks as though the file is now being accepted as it is. In fact it isn't big at all but there seemed to be a glitch with the upload system originally. Seems to have gone up now though.

If someone could try a download and rename it to factory.gm36 then open it in Notepad and confirm it came through unscathed I would appreciate it.

If that works we have a reference version of the factory settings as a starting point.

Rock On Humble Pie
    stargazer747
    stargazer747

Share/Attach GM 36 Presets here! Empty file test

Post by stargazer747 Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:12 am

I saved it, renamed ext to .gm36 and it opened up with notepad on my win 10 pro 64 laptop fine.

Is there any other place where new factory presets from H&K or custom ones created by others owners with tone settings of famous guitarist or particular songs? If anyone here is familiar with Blackstar they have a software package called Insider that works with their ID Series amps which connect thru a USB port to PC, Fender also has very similar called Fuse that works with their Mustang line of amps. They have a community where an owner of one of these amps registers online into their community and search to download other factory presets designed by the company's product technicians or ones that registered members upload to share. I have used both and find that its a great way of sharing and finding new tones to use.

I guess H&K never went as far to providing a platform for users of this amp to do the same? I know of no other place where we can get more presets other than these 68 factory ones, whether H&K developers created newer ones since the advent of this model amp or other users have.

Anyone?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:02 am

I had a Blackstar IDCore40 for a while and was impressed with the way that Blackstar users grasped the idea of swapping patches.  (Neat little amp but had to go back with problems in the headphone section).  We've tried to get the same system up and running here, the GM36 is ripe for this as it has the apps to spit out the whole shebang, and my little manager program eats up selecting and organising random collections of patches into new sets, but none of us seem to be keen to dive in yet.  H&K have promised for a while that they will set something up to allow users to share but nothing from them yet.  Their Facebook site is a good one to follow for issues like this.  That's why we had the idea here.

One problem is that the original app was written for Mac and spits out 'plist' format files which used to be human readable but now are binary so look like gobbledygook in a text editor, whereas the other Windows based app written by Frodo puts out the same data in a simple text list.  The two are naturally incompatible!  Personally I'm with Frodo but I leave you to make your mind up which is the best approach.  I am looking into the plist situation, (just a subset of XML I think but the binary thing complicates it), to be able to write a converter program which will swap between the two.

Ok, so it occurred to me that there may be people out there who would like to start posting up patches but who aren't techy geeks so don't really know how to go about it.  I've attached here a small template file, 'Patch_Template.txt', which is like a simple form to fill in.  It contains the fields for two complete patches so you can see how they fit.  You can copy and paste additional patches in there from those two first then fill the values in by hand.  It's really easy once you have done a couple.

Recap:
    Each patch MUST start with a '[preset]' field including the square braces.
    The 'name' field is simple text based and speaks for itself.
    Everything else has a numeric value between 0-255.  This includes the logical switched items 'channelBoost', 'noiseGate' and 'fxLoop', as well as the multiple selectors like 'channelType' and 'powerSoak'.
    Logical switches are either Off or On, represented by '0' or '127'.
    The 'powerSoak' field is a five value field to represent each of the levels + silent.  Silent '0', 1W '32', 5W '64', 18W '96' and 36W '124'.  (Yes, I reckon that should be 128 as well but Frodo's app definitely throws that value out.)
    The 'channelType' values for this are Clean '0', Crunch '42', Lead '84' or Ultra '126'.

As I implied, I have checked these values by outputing them from the Windows app with each selection made to see first hand what value they all are in real life.

So anyone is now able to set up any of their patches in the template and save them into a small file with only one or up to 128 patches at a time.  They can validate the file to make sure it is all correct with the manager app.  Then they can load their current working list or a number of source lists in to the manager at the same time.  Patches can be selected as they are wanted from the overall list into a new set and put into any order.  Finally, the compiled list can be saved in .gm36 format, imported into the Windows app and pushed out to the amp.

You will need to make sure you deal with setting up your patch in the template in a simple text editor like Notepad.  If you use full word processors like M$ Word they can mess up the end of line characters and the file becomes corrupted.  I'm currently building this as more functionality into the little manager app to offer the ability to set up new patches within it but it will take a little time to get it done, it's festival season here and I'm off to Weyfest this weekend, (local Glastonbury for old codgers and coffin dodgers), then into a new band the week afterwards with long rehearsals in the pipeline.  I'll get to it as soon as I am able.

EDIT:  And if you want to convert from your control positions on the amp in 0-10 form as is usually the case in amp controls, to the internal app values 0-255, just guess the knob position to the nearest you can (should be about 0.1?) then multiply by 25.5.  So a position a little above 6 = 6.2 say.  6.2 x 25.5=158.  (There is no need to be too fussy about the exact amount, anything in a range of +-5 will be virtually inaudible.  Can you hear a Bass setting of 6.2 as different to 6.4?)
    Attachments
    Share/Attach GM 36 Presets here! AttachmentPatch_Template.txt
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (1 Kb) Downloaded 86 times

Last edited by bordonbert on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rock On Humble Pie
    stargazer747
    stargazer747

Share/Attach GM 36 Presets here! Empty software for amps

Post by stargazer747 Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:21 pm

bordonbert,

I also have a Blackstar IDCore40 head using it with the Blackstar HTV112 Celestion Seventy 80 that I've had for so long and for a short while I also had the ID 60TVP Head a phenomenal solid state amp which has "True Valve Power" tech they came up that along with their "ISF" knob (British to American tone shaping), TVP selector gives the amp the ability to choose from 6 different power tubes. I only sent it back because I wanted a true tube amp which I found with the GM36. Their whole ID Series works around the Insider app which essentially is the same as Fender Fuse with a community to upload and download factory and custom presets. I definitely am convinced that H&K would greatly benefit from getting something like that going for this amp.
    polo57
    polo57

Post by polo57 Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:56 am

Hello all. I am a novice 36W head Grandmeister. My settings are hopeless. Could any of you provide me with a file with all your preset settings. If you do not mind, of course. I would like to play and play at last. Currently, I'm just shooting and spinning with knobs and nothing comes out of playing. I'm tired of it already. Maybe someone will help me. I will be very grateful and happy about it. Thank you in advance and best regards.
    jimmybond
    jimmybond

Post by jimmybond Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Hi - I asked this question on the GM40 forum but as it is quieter there, I will ask it again here (relevant since the preset lists are very similar)

Has anyone ever posted an 'interpretation' of what the various presets are supposed to sound like? For example, the Paradise ones I imagine are Guns N Roses Paradise City, Running on the Moon is like Run Like Hell from Pink Floyd, etc. But I can't place all of them.

Are some others to sound like certain artists, certain albums, or certain songs? Your help is appreciated.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:26 am

I can't help you in general Jimmy as I have never used the factory set on my GM36. As you are a GM40 user I would seem to be even farther away from being helpful. But, Running on the Moon? Sounds more like it should be Walking On The Moon by The Police to me but that may not be what it sounds like at all.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:21 pm