The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+10
VoodooJeff
j200george
ignantios
namklak
gravydb
Irocdave12
winky
Syn666
bordonbert
HwyStar
14 posters

The Grandmeister 40 Deluxe is here!

Irocdave12
    Irocdave12

The Grandmeister 40 Deluxe is here! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Grandmeister 40 Deluxe is here!

Post by Irocdave12 Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:04 pm

The WM-1 is its own wifi network and you don't need the venue to offer wifi through a router so it is a little more than just a dongle and that's probably why it's so expensive but I do agree it doesn't seem like it should cost so much. Maybe $99 but not the same as the footswitch which gives you the feeling that you actually got something for your money
    Ravensha
    Ravensha

The Grandmeister 40 Deluxe is here! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Grandmeister 40 Deluxe is here!

Post by Ravensha Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:08 am

bordonbert wrote:I've got to say I think the WM-1 shows huge opportunism on H&K's part.  The price is basically for a wifi dongle which deals with the transfer of piddling little amounts of data between two specific devices so needs to be the lowest throughput spec possible.  It should have been a lot cheaper.

Totally agree.
    This essentially prices the app feature at $199.
    I spend that on a Linksys router for my home, and there is a world of difference in engineering between those two devices.
    The WMI-1 is a $15 in manufacturing cost accessory.

I would imagine they decided not to build it in because plopping a radio device onto the circuit board just complicates the board design.

My take on it - it's a "nice to have", but for that price I can probably gig just fine without it.

Still really interested in this amp, and I am considering it for my next gigging rig.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:29 am

Ok, I had a reply from the Thomann tech support team on this.  Have a look here.  It looks as though there may be some alternatives out there at a much more reasonable price.

Yamaha MD-BT01

Sure it's a bluetooth device and not a true network one but if it connects securely and passes the data through in the correct manner I could forgive that.  According to Thomann this is a direct substitute for the WM-1.  That was the way I phrased the question to them as they stock both devices.

Anyone have one of these devices to try it out?

Rock On Humble Pie
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:01 am

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IK-Multimedia-Universal-Interface-iPhone/dp/B00LFN72KW

So if I am to buy a GM40, I am going to want to hook in my iPad. I think the wifi dongle is too expensive for what it is so I don't mind a hard cable. Will the attached do or are there better options?

Ipad (lightning connector) -> Midi convertor -> midi out -> GM40 Midi in?

and in my case where I am going to have my Boss ES-8 select the presents then the midi out of the boss es-8 has to connect to the IK dongle together with the IPAD to pass through midi signals to the GM40? Does that sound about right?
    spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:16 am

II too want this app for my iPad 2 and will also wifi it. As far as the WMI-1 being expensive, yes it is IMHO but  OTOH you get what you pay for in general,  so maybe others will work (but work as well and without any side issues)? No real facts yet, Just thinking out loud here. Smile It does say on the H&K site that the app works with any iPad midi compatible interface...
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:01 pm

The old days of that philosophy are sadly long gone Spikey.  Nowadays I'd have to say "you get what you can be made to pay for". Wink  H&K are NOT cheap, and that isn't always down to the quality of their gear, (which, granted, is good but that good?)

As regards work as well?  They have to pick up or transmit a minute smidgeon of control data every time we want to make a change and they probably have to poll regularly to check they're still in touch.  It's hardly asking them to stream high def video.  And Yamaha is at least as good a name as H&K so that device should really be pretty reliable.  That bluetooth comms item is made to interface with their own midi compatible gear like keyboards.  Smile

The music field has always been a realm where too many prices are simply outrageous because of the high number of people in the market who simply do not know how simple it really is and who think that is what you have to pay to get something good.  Look at pedals.  They're toys in electronics terms, in fact most modern toys are more complex!  And the numpties who are out there charging the great unwashed £200 for something which takes no expertise to design and you can knock up on your kitchen table is unbelievable.  This is the same sort of area I'm afraid.  Until we all say "no" it will continue.  If we did say no you would be amazed at how cheap some of these esoteric items would suddenly become, and the companies would still survive and make money.

Rock On Humble Pie
    spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:28 am

The old days of that philosophy are sadly long gone Spikey.

Yea that is a shame. Well I like the looks of the WMI-1 and so probably will go that route. BTW- the GM40 Remote app for iPad does NOT show up for me when I go directly to the app store and search. What I had to do was open up iTunes, then open up the App store and search from there. That was the only way I could find it.
    Ravensha
    Ravensha

Post by Ravensha Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:56 pm

bordonbert wrote:Look at pedals.  They're toys in electronics terms, in fact most modern toys are more complex!  And the numpties who are out there charging the great unwashed £200 for something which takes no expertise to design and you can knock up on your kitchen table is unbelievable.

So true!
    spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:06 pm

Just pre-Ordered mine. Hope to see it before Christmas 2016!!!

Bet I cant knock one of these out on the kitchen table Razz  What a Face

Edited: Canceled and then re pre ordered! lol!

Last edited by spikey on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:29 am

I would guess not Spikey. To put that in perspective, I came across the Wampler Triple Wreck the other day. £230, $300 ish? It's an absolutely bog standard nothing remarkable circuit which anyone could build up as I suggested. There are about $10 worth of components and a few unnecessary "super spec" opamps Rolling Eyes , (yes it's totally opamp!!! affraid ), in a pretty box. I rest my case! Laughing

But let's save the arguments about rip off effects for another thread. I'd be happy to step up to the podium there, (with evidence!)

Rock On Humble Pie
    spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:47 pm

bordonbert wrote:I would guess not Spikey.  To put that in perspective, I came across the Wampler Triple Wreck the other day.  £230, $300 ish?  It's an absolutely bog standard nothing remarkable circuit which anyone could build up as I suggested.  There are about $10 worth of components and a few unnecessary "super spec" opamps Rolling Eyes , (yes it's totally opamp!!! affraid ), in a pretty box.  I rest my case!  Laughing

But let's save the arguments about rip off effects for another thread.  I'd be happy to step up to the podium there, (with evidence!)

Parts are in general a dime a dozen. And Ive known some really really smart engineers in my 40+ years as a tech. The one thing that I could not ever make them ever understand, was that just because they understood a highly technical diagram/schematic they created and then wrote a manual on, didn't mean that everyone else could even read it, or understand it like they did. Believe me, Ive tried too. You see Troubleshooters don't necessarily need to know how the part works to fix it. Engineers do.  That said, I think the old adage applies here, and that is we pay them for what they know, not for what they do. The same go's for the engineered designs as well. It might take $100.00 worth of parts to make the thing, but the idea to make it all work may have cost thousands (or even millions). Don't believe me? Has the cost of having an MRI ever dropped even thou they paid for the machine years ago? Wink
    spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Irocdave12 wrote:I got one pre ordered today and got a great deal. H&K rep told my dealer early Dec. to put hands on it in the USA which I was a little surprised since initially thought they were slated to hit streets in Europe end of September. If anyone hears different please chime in on the USA release dates

Sweetwater told me early (7th or so) of December, just in time for Chirstmas cheers cheers cheers
    billgwx
    billgwx

Post by billgwx Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:12 pm

Differences between the GM40 and GM36:
    https://youtu.be/pXok1oHky6A

Not mentioned in the video, but did I read in this thread that the GM40 cleans are more Fender-ish? That and most of what is mentioned in the video, including more clean headroom on all channels, a smoother transition between channel switches which I hope goes also for its effects, and global power soak (also resonance and/or presence?) settings, are huge selling points for me! GM36 presets are also transferrable, though gain and EQ settings will have to be tweaked to account for the new amp voicing.
    spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Yea Bill I read the same thing abt the cleans, and more headroom with smoother transitions. I have the foot switch and WMI-1 (grabbed them before the Christmas rush). I have preordered mine and I hope to see it before Christmas. Last I was told it has a early Dec-2016 arrival date.
    ignantios
    ignantios

Post by ignantios Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:49 am

https://youtu.be/5F_-TQneRjo

At 5.54 he compares the 36 model with the deluxe....in my humble opinion not that much of a difference!!!! From what i hear so far.....i am afraid it doesn't meet my expectations!
    spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:29 pm

ignantios wrote:https://youtu.be/5F_-TQneRjo

At 5.54 he compares the 36 model with the deluxe....in my humble opinion not that much of a difference!!!! From what i hear so far.....i am afraid it doesn't meet my expectations!

And yet when you watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXok1oHky6A  there is a lot of new changes.

On the video you show/list, the lead channel on the GM-40 is fuller, more brutal and mean sounding to me. And theres more variety of sounds/tones with Redbox settings on the GM-40.
    bish0p34
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:43 pm

ignantios wrote:https://youtu.be/5F_-TQneRjo

It's not a huge difference, but I didn't expect it to be. It's definitely noticeable though. More full-sounding, especially in the low mids.

I want to try one out in person, but I'm already debating selling my TM36 when this is available and tested, buying this and keeping my gm36 as a backup.
    Irocdave12
    Irocdave12

Post by Irocdave12 Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:43 pm

The beast has arrived in the USA and my pre order was at my door yesterday. I was told by distributor in NY I have one of first delivered so you guys waiting on one it's literally in the mail!
    I'll post some additional pics and info once I get it un boxed and hooked up to the dual TM 112 it's gonna power. Have beautiful set of NOS tubes that will go in over the weekend after initial fire up with Chinese junkers powering things for test purposes
    The Grandmeister 40 Deluxe is here! - Page 2 Image10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:39 am