The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+3
bordonbert
Gweil
billgwx
7 posters

Preset list?

billgwx
    billgwx

Preset list? Empty Preset list?

Post by billgwx Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:30 pm

Does a text, CSV, or spreadsheet version of the GM40 factory preset list exist anywhere yet? Would save a lot of time and take a lot of guesswork out of going thru them one-by-one sans iPad app.
    Gweil
    Gweil

Preset list? Empty Re: Preset list?

Post by Gweil Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:57 am

Is it possible that someone with the IPAD app could send the screen with the list of presets ? Thank you!
    billgwx
    billgwx

Post by billgwx Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:50 pm

HK had a Web page with essentially just that for the GM36. I requested one for the GM40 via the HK Facebook page so let's see where that goes...
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:51 am

And here it is....

GM36 Factory Presets

Good luck getting the GM40 version!  I did an Excel spreadsheet of all of the settings a while back and posted it in the GM36 forum.  You could try searching for that as a starting point for a GM40 version.

Rock On Humble Pie
    billgwx
    billgwx

Post by billgwx Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:43 am

spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks for that!!!
    Mr powers
    Mr powers

Post by Mr powers Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:09 pm

Banks 24 to 32 are empty so that we can create and save our own presets?
    billgwx
    billgwx

Post by billgwx Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Without overwriting the factory presets I guess so. But then you'd have to set up your HK FSM 432 or whatever MIDI controller you use to have easier access to them.

I'm in the middle of redoing some of my presets, and reset the amp back to its factory settings. Will probably just overwrite the factory settings and move those I intend to overwrite to those unused banks.
    Mr powers
    Mr powers

Post by Mr powers Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:47 pm

I have the fsm 432.
    24 to 32 empty for you?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:42 am

It hasn't been mentioned yet so do you guys have the control & management app and a MIDI interface?  With them you can talk to your GM40D from a PC, laptop or iPad and download your current presets from the amp to your copmputer.  Then it is very easy to rearrange them out of the amp and just upload them back to it once you have them as you want.

It's worth pointing out to people, the FSM432 is only a dumb controller.  It does not store your presets in itself.  They are all stored in the amp and the controller just tells the amp which to select.

EDIT:  Just checked in the official list on the H&K GM40D page and it shows all of the presets up to 90 were used in the factory set including 24-32.

Last edited by bordonbert on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:49 am

...and here is a link to the latest version:  GM40D Factory Preset List

Don't understand those two last presets!

Rock On Humble Pie
    Mr powers
    Mr powers

Post by Mr powers Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:24 am

So the presets are stored in the amp but are only accessible with the ipad or foot pedal?
    Also...the preset list goes up to 23 and not beyond. Are presets 23 - 32 accessible through an ipad but not the foot pedal? Like I said...mine are empty.
    Thanks...btw
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:22 am

Mr Powers wrote:So the presets are stored in the amp but are only accessible with the ipad or foot pedal?
    Effectively.  As far as I know there is no way to access the presets on the amp direct.  It's a MIDI based system and requires a MIDI controller/interface to - well - control it.

Mr Powers wrote:Also...the preset list goes up to 23 and not beyond. Are presets 23 - 32 accessible through an ipad but not the foot pedal? Like I said...mine are empty.
    No, something is wrong there.  Have a look at the link I posted and pull in the PDF.  It has the settings for all of the factory presets.  They go from 1 to 90 on the GM40D and there are 128 preset slots in all.  There is no gap in them from 23 - 32 nor are the slots above 32 all empty.  They should all be accessible via any controller.  If you have a problem and some are missing then a factory reset should put them all back in place again but you would lose any you have created yourself.  That's where the free app comes in.  The H&K official one is only for iPad but there is an equally good (some of us say better) one created by a freelance programmer called Fredo for Windows and Mac.  It's a superb bit of programming and is very comprehensive and intuitive if you know the amp controls.  That has not only the interface to control the amp in real time, but also a manager for manipulating your libraries of presets even when not connected to the amp.  With that it is possible to create, edit, delete, reorder presets within a list, and to load from disc, save to disc, merge, append existing full libraries or preset blocks.  You can easily create say a library of presets for a band playing a rock set and another for a different band playing a country set then swap them onto the amp as you need them.

You can get a copy here:  Windows/Mac Control App  You will need a MIDI interface to convert your computer's USB port output to MIDI and back again the other way but that isn't too exorbitant these days.

Mr Powers wrote:Thanks...btw
    You're welcome, that's what we're here for.  Wink

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:36 am

I can point you at a MIDI interface to start off your list. If you decide to go for this setup it's also worth scanning the readers' responses at the foot of the app download page I posted. You will come across a few users' interface types there. A lot of people seem to be using the Roland Um-One which is currently about £25-£30 in the UK. Whatever you choose it MUST be able to support SYSEX transfer. That is why the really cheap Chinese ones do not work. Sysex is an aspect of MIDI which allows the programmer to create and handle custom sized data packets for application specific requirements. They can and usually will be larger than the standard MIDI packet size. The hardware buffers on the interface input and output must be able to handle that packet size and for the most part the cheap ones don't.

For any decent interface the ability to handle Sysex data is usually stated in the spec.

Rock On Humble Pie
    swgutto
    swgutto

Post by swgutto Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Please use the SHOW VALUES feature when posting pictures of the graphic interface.
    jimmybond
    jimmybond

Post by jimmybond Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Has anyone ever posted an 'interpretation' of what the various presets are supposed to sound like? For example, the Paradise ones I imagine are Guns N Roses Paradise City, Running on the Moon is like Run Like Hell from Pink Floyd, etc. But I can't place all of them.

Are some others to sound like certain artists, certain albums, or certain songs? Your help is appreciated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:47 am