The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Grandmeister 36's red box out , help!

buddyguitarist
    buddyguitarist

Grandmeister 36's red box out , help! Empty Grandmeister 36's red box out , help!

Post by buddyguitarist Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:51 am

Hi, guys. Are you using the GM36 's Red box out into the mixer ?
    I have a cable of microphone, but one side is XLR, other side is TRS, and you know GM36 have a speaker cabinet type -- classic and modern , but when change the type, I got the same sounds, completely same sounds. Is my cable cause this( I mean it must be ueing two sides are XLR cable ?) or is the head had an issue ? I just brought it a few week...thanks...
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Grandmeister 36's red box out , help! Empty Re: Grandmeister 36's red box out , help!

Post by bordonbert Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:18 am

I've never used my Redbox out but my guess would be you're just not hearing any difference in the environment you're using it in. I would guess the two cabinets would not be very much apart in their sound anyway and would have been surprised if there had been a massive change. If you are getting sound out of your system then there is nothing wrong with the cable. Let's see what some of the others who actually do this say. Guys?

Rock On Humble Pie
    buddyguitarist
    buddyguitarist

Grandmeister 36's red box out , help! Empty Re: Grandmeister 36's red box out , help!

Post by buddyguitarist Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:30 am

bordonbert wrote:I've never used my Redbox out but my guess would be you're just not hearing any difference in the environment you're using it in.  I would guess the two cabinets would not be very much apart in their sound anyway and would have been surprised if there had been a massive change.  If you are getting sound out of your system then there is nothing wrong with the cable.  Let's see what some of the others who actually do this say.  Guys?
    Thanks, Guys, I just not easy to get a cable with all are XLR , I send a message as what's I said before to H & K on Facebook, but the HK team gave me a surprised and stupid answer : ' do you mean the Grandmeister dulexe 40?  ' and they told me about what's GM40 had ......
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:57 am

O-o-o-o-oh yes! The Deluxe 40 is the "Where you 'bin lately, there's a New Kid In Town" and the GM36 is now "They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along". My honest guess is that the time and money they have had available to redevelop the GM concept in to the D40 will have been put into a couple of areas of new tech of which "hai know notheeng" and the revoicing towards Triamp spec, and it won't have changed stuff like the Redbox much, if at all, as that is a done deal and no one complains about it. So what would be the case for the GM40 will apply to the GM36 in that area.

Rock On Humble Pie
    buddyguitarist
    buddyguitarist

Post by buddyguitarist Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:49 am

bordonbert wrote:O-o-o-o-oh yes!  The Deluxe 40 is the "Where you 'bin lately, there's a New Kid In Town" and the GM36 is now "They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along".  My honest guess is that the time and money they have had available to redevelop the GM concept in to the D40 will have been put into a couple of areas of new tech of which "hai know notheeng" and the revoicing towards Triamp spec, and it won't have changed stuff like the Redbox much, if at all, as that is a done deal and no one complains about it.  So what would be the case for the GM40 will apply to the GM36 in that area.
    Yeah,you're right. I am in a not big city of Canada, and I didn't find the D40 in here, only TM18 and GM36 in the store, I remebered if I need D40, they need order one and I need wait for 3 weeks...... so also I think our local shop is selling the out of production...... pale antique things.....
    John_M
    John_M

Post by John_M Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 am

They probably answered that way because the GM36 technically doesn't have a RED BOX - only the GM40 does. The 36 just has a generic direct out with 2 voicings. You should probably get a real XLR cable, but since there is sound then it's fine. And the "modern" has a more scooped sound than the classic to my ears.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:08 am

You're absolutely right John_M, I shouldn't really call it a "Red Box" as it isn't the same circuit at all nowadays, (at least it doesn't match the schematics I can find). However, both on the amp and in the GM36 manual H&K themselves do label it as "Red Box Out".
    H&K GM36 Manual Page 7 wrote:4 Red Box Out: Invented by Hughes & Kettner, the Red Box has for years set the industry standard for analog guitar DI boxes with built-in speaker emulation. Built into the GrandMeister’s output section, it converts the amp’s speaker out signal, which is tapped post power amp and pre Power Soak, into a balanced, frequency-compensated signal that you can patch directly to a mixing console.
    I think they just use the name to be able to give their own circuitry, whatever the model it turns up in, a little different "class" to others. Note they make a big play of them "inventing" it. Whatever you call it it is a pretty good system, though others do seem to be appearing which are as good nowadays.

Rock On Humble Pie
    buddyguitarist
    buddyguitarist

Post by buddyguitarist Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:14 am

John_M wrote:They probably answered that way because the GM36 technically doesn't have a RED BOX - only the GM40 does. The 36 just has a generic direct out with 2 voicings. You should probably get a real XLR cable, but since there is sound then it's fine. And the "modern" has a more scooped sound than the classic to my ears.

Thanks man!
    buddyguitarist
    buddyguitarist

Post by buddyguitarist Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:16 am

bordonbert wrote:You're absolutely right John_M, I shouldn't really call it a "Red Box" as it isn't the same circuit at all nowadays, (at least it doesn't match the schematics I can find).  However, both on the amp and in the GM36 manual H&K themselves do label it as "Red Box Out".
    H&K GM36 Manual Page 7 wrote:4 Red Box Out: Invented by Hughes & Kettner, the Red Box has for years set the industry standard for analog guitar DI boxes with built-in speaker emulation. Built into the GrandMeister’s output section, it converts the amp’s speaker out signal, which is tapped post power amp and pre Power Soak, into a balanced, frequency-compensated signal that you can patch directly to a mixing console.
    I think they just use the name to be able to give their own circuitry, whatever the model it turns up in, a little different "class" to others.  Note they make a big play of them "inventing" it.  Whatever you call it it is a pretty good system, though others do seem to be appearing which are as good nowadays.

sunny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 9:43 pm