The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Comparing TM36,TM Delux 40, GM Delux 40

70cm3ofyourchest
    70cm3ofyourchest

Comparing TM36,TM Delux 40, GM Delux 40 Empty Comparing TM36,TM Delux 40, GM Delux 40

Post by 70cm3ofyourchest Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:28 am

Hello guys! I am writing here because I didnt find any good comparing videos or information out in the internet for these 3 amp heads. I would really appreciate if you could help me which of those amp heads I need and why would I need one than another or another. If you have any comparing info please post it here, thank you!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Comparing TM36,TM Delux 40, GM Delux 40 Empty Re: Comparing TM36,TM Delux 40, GM Delux 40

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:36 am

Hi 70cm3ofyourchest. (Can't we just call you Chesty? Wink )

I have no hands on experience of either the TM40D or GM40D but others will be able to comment on them. I have owned a TM36 and GM36 at the same time and I think the GM36 is an amp you could consider as they go for more sensible money nowadays with the GM40D being out there to soak up all the big bucks spent on brand new amps.

Soundwise I found that both amps can be lacking in bottom end, nasally in the middle and rough at the top end if you partner them with the wrong speakers. All H&K amps seem to be very fussy about that aspect. Forget "which valves", that makes so little difference it is silly, always go for speaker choice as that is crucial for getting these amps to play ball. H&K uses Vintage 30s in their own speakers but they say that these are specially voiced for them by Celestion. That would tie in with my own view that V30s are the last speaker you should use with them unless you want to deafen all of the dogs and bats in your neighbourhood.

The TMs do not have the MIDI capability of the GMs with the GMs' digipots in every useful slot and that can be a huge benefit for a gigging musician. I do remember that the GM also has a slight degree of refinement in its overall sound than the TM though that is so slight in my own opinion as to not be of much consequence in a real band situation.

That's all that I can say without knowing what your own preferences are and what your target musical type is. H&K's TMs and GMs are, in my opinion, aimed at being high gain metal amps and for that they are great. For older classic 60s/70s rock which I play they were not so successful. The GM40D may be a step in the right direction to address that but I haven't heard anything absolutely convincing in YouTube reviews yet myself.

Rock On Humble Pie

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:46 pm