The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Bluguitar amp1 Mercury for grandmeister.

ignantios
    ignantios

Bluguitar amp1 Mercury for grandmeister.  Empty Bluguitar amp1 Mercury for grandmeister.

Post by ignantios Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi......
    So I am a little tired of that characteristic sound that all h&k amps have and I am thinking of swapping my deluxe 40 for the amp1 Mercury edition. The deluxe still got that hi-fi sound and harsh upper midrange which is far away from the old good cranked marshall sound which I am after.
    So the mercury Edition seems perfect and very portable. Also all the videos I have seen show that it can nail that marshall sound. From plexi and Jmp to jvm style. So has anyone of you tried one himself?
    I really like the JVM but it's too big, not portable, that's why I am after the amp1. Any thoughts?

P. S too bad they didn't improved enough the gain structure of the delyxe to resemble the sound of 80's and 90's cause its a great idea.

Here sounds fantastic...

https://youtu.be/ya-sGcHyPs4
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Bluguitar amp1 Mercury for grandmeister.  Empty Re: Bluguitar amp1 Mercury for grandmeister.

Post by bordonbert Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:59 am

Sorry to hear that Ignantios, another one goes down that route. If you were to go back over posts for the past 5 years you would find that I have always said that the one thing the H&K amps struggle to do is classic rock sounds! It always amazes me that people buy the amps, rave about their sound, then a little while later end up complaining that they can't dial in that Marshall mid range and roar. (I don't necessarily mean yourself but there are many people who end up doing that.) In fairness to H&K their amps are not set up for that sort of sound right from the design stage. They are Germans. They have their own taste and take on tone. They love high gain metal. Their amps are designed for that primarily and do it really well. But they just can't nail the older types of distortion convincingly.

That is, at least until the Black Spirit and, who knows, that might be the way forward H&Kwise. I don't know, I have never played the BS but others have and rave over it. Whether they end up in the same situation as yourself, hearing things which their ears tell them are just so then finding when they calm down that they can hear they are not so, (there is a LOT of that all over in the guitar world as we all know Wink ), we will have to wait and see. Anyway, I would really advise that you try the Amp 1 out AT REAL LENGTH before parting with even more money. A couple of YouTube reviews is not enough to know whether it will work for you in the real world. It really helps to be able to finally settle on your sound with gear you are happy to use and just play. There is far too much GAS in us all driven by our need to hype gear even just in our own mind and buy while in that excited state where it just SOUNDS AWESOME!!! Then sadly, once the gear ears are off, it doesn't.

Rock On Humble Pie
    ignantios
    ignantios

Bluguitar amp1 Mercury for grandmeister.  Empty Re: Bluguitar amp1 Mercury for grandmeister.

Post by ignantios Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:08 am

Look the main reason I bought the grandmeister deluxe was it's portability and it's size and features whix are killer. But never for it's great sound. My favourite amp is the JVM but even this amp has it's flaws. It is too heavy, too noisy and too big. So I ended up here. But as all relationships, there is always an end. I can't overlook anymore the compromise in tone. They are too modern sounding amps for me. Their mids to me sound to sterile and not so musical. But as far as I am concerned, this seems to be the trademark of all h&k amps, which for many people is welcomed. But this doesn't work for me anymore. If this will ever change in the future then count me in.... If not then I am afraid its over....
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:42 am

I'm not criticising you in any way Ignantios. I couldn't because, in fact, I have now gone down that same route myself to a different end point for all the same reasons. After a few years of struggling to get '70s classic rock sounds out of my GM36, (which I still have a lot of respect for), I swapped it out for a JVM205H which just fell into my lap at a silly price. That got me back into my Marshalls but it also wasn't the answer for me. Unlike yourself I find it too modern, hard and stiff sounding for my playing, but that is exactly what is was designed to be so again, that isn't a criticism just an observation. Since then I have taken on a wonderful '89 JCM800 Split Channel which is MUCH more in line with what I want so I've reached my own happy place. I only wanted to give you support and to really be sure that you make yourself check out the Amp 1 at length before jumping. I am the worst one for "buying on the wave". Sorry if that came over as a bit bossy, it wasn't meant to be, just as someone who was really hoping you would find your own right spot. Good luck with it.

Rock On Humble Pie
    ignantios
    ignantios

Post by ignantios Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks a lot mate. I'll keep you informed about the amp1 experience.... Keep in touch...
    jageya

Post by jageya Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:15 pm

hold off till the bluamp x comes out this year. you will be amazed

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:26 am