The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Switchblade TSC vs the original non TSC version.

damnedinblack
    damnedinblack

Switchblade TSC vs the original non TSC version. Empty Switchblade TSC vs the original non TSC version.

Post by damnedinblack Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:42 am

Is there much difference soundwise between the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade original and the TSC version?

I have the original 2x12 combo non TSC version, and was thinking of going with the TSC head.

How does The switchblade compare to the newer Grandmiester amps? I found a really good Power tube/ Preamp tube/ Speaker/ guitar mix I'm really liking with the Switchblad lately but I do like the TSC on my Coreblade and kind of want to get away from combo's which seem to kill power tubes faster.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Switchblade TSC vs the original non TSC version. Empty Re: Switchblade TSC vs the original non TSC version.

Post by bordonbert Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:00 am

Can't help you with your tonal request I'm afraid, I have never played one but just a technical thought here.

If you are going through valves quickly, and I do mean output valves here, it is worth asking do you use the Standby a lot?  If so then I really advise - don't!  Standbys of the type in your non TSC Switchblade head actually kill valves.  It takes a while but they do irreversibly alter the cathodes to prevent the valve from passing current.  You don't have to believe me, just look up "cathode poisoning" or "interface resistance".  Here is a good link to a guy who is an expert: The Valve Wizard on Standby but do look for other info to check it out.  (Even Sweetwater has an entry on this nowadays and they usually know FA.)

When you have a TSC amp it takes over the job of controlling the amp's Standby and does it by a totally different method than the usual "remove the HT from the output valves" which 95% of all amps still do.  It goes against what every guitarist "just knows" but, why not just turn your Master Volume down when you aren't playing?  It kills all sound and it hurts nothing.  The valves are not being "worn out" by being left active.  They are idling and will do that happily for much longer than if the Standby is engaged.

Rock On Humble Pie

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am