The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Download GrandMeister Windows App

yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

Download GrandMeister Windows App Empty Download GrandMeister Windows App

Post by yoMuzicMan Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:17 pm

Hi.

I just had to rebuild my Windows 11 computer and forgot to backup the H&K remote app for Windows. I've been using this for a while to control my GrandMeister Deluxe 40 via MIDI, and it works great.

Here was the link I originally downloaded it from:

https://ctrlr.org/hughes-kettner-remote/

But the download link no longer works. Does anyone have this they could send to me or upload somewhere?

Thanks,
    Ron
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Download GrandMeister Windows App Empty Re: Download GrandMeister Windows App

Post by bordonbert Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:22 am

Hi Ron.  Curious!  I had trouble with the download link too.  Eventually I found it was reported as a Google Drive issue, (I wasn't even aware I was using Drive to be honest as I refuse to use Cloud facilities).  Anyway I finally got my hands on what I think is it and I have put it in a Zip folder for transport.

I could email you via your profile though it is a 11Meg file and emailing may complain about the size of attachment.  I have posted it first of all into my Box account, hopefully you can download it from there.

H&K App Installer

Try that and let me know if it works.  Then you had better check that it is the correct installer.  I have checked it out with my AV software (Eset Smart Security, highly recommended!) and that reports no issues.

EDIT:  I've replaced the zip file with a new one also containing the 32bit MS Redistributable installer.  Anyone who has problems with the missing .dll mentioned below now has the installer which should take care of it.  If there are any problems please post at the end and let me know.

Last edited by bordonbert on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:11 am; edited 3 times in total

Rock On Humble Pie
    yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

Post by yoMuzicMan Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:01 am

Beautiful, thanks! I was able to download it and have it back. Much appreciated!!!!

bordonbert likes this post

moooooooo
    moooooooo

Post by moooooooo Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:57 am

that link still works. I've had to rebuild win10 both physical install and in a VirtualBox VM and downloaded it successfully from there. I got the dreaded DLL not found error but that's easily fixed. Ensure you install the x86 version of the DLL stuff as well as the 64 bit version.
    cheers
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:01 pm

Thanks for the update Moooooooo.glad it's still accessible. Can you let me know which .dll you are talking about? If this is a common problem then maybe it might be useful if we could put that in the zip file as well.

Rock On Humble Pie
    moooooooo
    moooooooo

Post by moooooooo Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:44 pm

it was MSVCP140.dll
    and specifically, for the H&K app, the x86 version (aka 32bit version). You need to get the installer from Microsoft. It's called the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio.

You get it from here:
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

EDIT: orig i posted this link below. The above is newer.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/download/details.aspx?id=48145

which includes both the x64 and x86 installers. It doesn't hurt to install both.
    DLLs are usually installed in System32 but i'd have to double check where the installers installed them.

I'm on my Linux PC at th moment (it's a dual boot into Windows) but i can check the Windows install i have under VirtualBox i have in Linuxmaybe this evening ?

I'm just in the middle of something, although i suppose you could do a search for the DLL yourself if you're on Windows.

I'm actually, albeit slowly, converting the H&K "panel" over from macOS/Windows to Linux. It basically uses Ctrlr and is Lua based.
    cheers
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:00 pm

Linux? Aha, we have a lot in common! (I was an electronics design engineer all my life but it include software development roles alongside. Last day job was programming for HP, command line of course, no Windows allowed. Wink ) I now have Vis Studio in my home setup and use it regularly for my own little apps. Used to use it exclusively when I worked in the Seismic Surveying field. "Triggerfish" survey manager hardware was all my own and I helped with the programming side as well. It's still in use nowadays so must have been half decent.

I'm fairly well up on all of the stuff you mentioned so don't worry. I'll see what I can do with adding the DLL installer to my own package and maybe instructions in words of one syllable. Thanks for all the info. Good luck with porting the app, I did look into the Ctrlr side at one point long ago but figured it wasn't going to help me to spend the time. Make sure to keep us up to date with progress, it really is always interesting to hear of what other tech savvy types are achieving in the field.

Rock On Humble Pie

moooooooo likes this post

moooooooo
    moooooooo

Post by moooooooo Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:37 am

i've also got a Positive Grid Spark 40 i bought during the CV19 lockdowns. Well i have 2 actually - first one died, and i was thinking it was cables or dodgy guitar switches, coz an amp wouldn't die right ?

Then i found the forums......people had DOA Spark 40s...

Anyway they sent a replacement and it's been rock solid.

My point on this is that there's a Linux program for it called Soundshed
    https://soundshed.com/

I'm considering contacting the guy(s) behind it to maybe try and do something similar but in the About popup it says:
    "Credits
    Spark communications code based on https://github.com/paulhamsh/Spark-Parser

Some preset information adapted from https://github.com/richtamblyn/PGSparkLite"

So i'm sure there'll be great midi info in there for Linux.
    The panel i got that i'm attempting to port was from the developer of the macOS version and he said it's based on a "yet to be released version of Crtlr"....and sadly that project hasn't had a release for a while.

I'll continue my debugging etc, but do you have any midi Linux resources that you've discovered that i can use for the GM40 ?
    Please share if you can and i'll continue plodding along.

I don't know Lua, but i've a long history of programming including.....wait for it.....porting Linux programs to BeOS 1999-2002.
    I was "moooooooo" in the Beos community back then :-)
    cheers
    Peter
    EDIT 1: typos
    EDIT 2: whilst i don't know Lua, it's familiar enough to other languages i know so debugging the functions is gonna be pretty easy. Getting the to work is a separate beast :-)
    EDIT 3: The current macOS and Windows program doesn't save "state" and will always revert to the 200 sadly. My initial port, should it be successful may be exclusive to the 40 coz that's what i own and i can only test on that.
    I may then release a 36 and a 200 version as separate panels until i get familiar enough with Lua to manage "state" which is basically reading from the settings file which it would appear the macOS and Windows versions (same codebase) fail to do. Anyone with knowledge on that ? Please let me know here and maybe we should start a separate thread on that.

speaking of which, one of my valves died recently and the GM40 only lasts about an hour before shutting off. I can't afford new valves/tube so i setup a Go Fund ME a while back and sent it to a lot of ppl with no success. Having replacement valves will help me help you get a program on Linux working. Link is here https://gofund.me/74a78686
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:17 pm

I have to admit I'm not an expert on MIDI, there are guys who float around here who know a lot more of the MIDI protocol than I do.  While I do have a Linux PC for some programming, it was set up as a home unit to help me gain background for the programming I was doing at work.   So I'm afraid I haven't had the need to delve into Linux MIDI at all.  If I do happen to come across anything in passing I will give you a heads up.

I do know the MIDI hardware well however and that gives me an in to the other side.  I have hacked MIDI style systems before for my own benefit.  I have a Marshall JVM205H in my 'wifeproof' music store.  That uses a bespoke signalling system based on Marshall's own hardware setup.  Looking at the signals being passed for each footswitch selection on a 'scope and doing a bit of logical thinking, they turned out to be a simple MIDI clone switching protocol.  The hardware side was definitely Marshall's own and was really well done, kind of RS232 serial rather than MIDI.  I made my own extended footswitch unit for the amp based on that.

I've also done the same thing to a point with an old Vox Valvetronix amp.  This is NOT one of the rough as a dead bear's bum metal face models that were the later production releases, it is one of the original Bluefaces which sounded and played as smooth as silk.  They were genre leading modellers originally designed as a Korg/Vox no holds barred collaboration project to show just what could be achieved with a digital/analogue hybrid.  It did have a very bespoke messaging system as the footswitch was a complex active unit with its own advanced processing and storage to complement the amp's.  That was fun but didn't lead to anything as it was such a complex system there was no point in building something to replace their own footswitch and I couldn't improve it in functionality anyway.

The line that I have always taken here is that, despite what "internet common knowledge" tells you, the truth is always in the Physics/engineering.  You show me on a bench that Nakayama "Red Pheasant" resistors hand made from volcanic ore by Zen Buddhist monks on the slopes of an isolated volcano in Japan actually make a difference to your signal then I'll believe it.  You tell me that active circuitry with 0.01% distortion lends an "air of blandness" to a signal and I'll call you out as a fool or a charlatan, and I'll argue the point with evidence.  No one should be allowed to proliferate rubbish theories about patently simple engineering facts without a spotlight being shone on their gullibility.  There is far too much "my guitar guru told me it is better and, do you know what, I can hear it plainly and my ears are never wrong" in guitar work.  Guitarists are a marketing man's dream.  You tell them that something is DEFINITELY so and you only have to try it to hear it and they will hear it for sure, and then pay well over the odds to achieve it for themselves.  Even when it is patently not there! The Emperor really does have New Clothes.

Ho hum, forgive me, I do go into these rambles from time to time, (rants maybe?).  Not too many people here over the years have liked having someone around who won't let the myths and legends go by without calling them out I'm afraid.

Rock On Humble Pie

moooooooo likes this post

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:56 pm

Moooo, I've reposted the zip file in my first reply with a new one which also contains the Visual C++ Redistributable 32bit installer. I hope that is enough to give people everything they need to get the app up and running if they are in trouble with the .dll. The link in the first post has also been updated with the new file on 'Box'.

Rock On Humble Pie
    gucio
    gucio

Post by gucio Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:42 am

Link doesn't work

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:15 am

Thanks for the heads up Gucio. Try it now. It's down to user stupidity I'm afraid. geek I pasted the full address into a url which already had "https://" slotted in so it doubled up. Should be ok now. Can someone confirm if it is or not?

Rock On Humble Pie

gucio likes this post

gucio
    gucio

Post by gucio Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 am

Link OK. Thank you.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:09 am