The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

H&K Tube 100 Amp

hkt001
    hkt001

H&K Tube 100 Amp Empty H&K Tube 100 Amp

Post by hkt001 Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:12 pm

Hi, I seem not able to find any owners or much less any current post on this amp. No

I'm looking for info on the Tube 50 / 100 heads.
    they seem to be great amps but very few videos or forum post on other sites?
    I thought someone in the H&K community could provide some answers or links.

Thanks.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

H&K Tube 100 Amp Empty Re: H&K Tube 100 Amp

Post by bordonbert Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:36 pm

Hi HKT001.  Is it technical info or "user experience" that you are looking for?  I personally have no experience at all of these amps myself but I could help with technical info.

I would also have to say that you are a rare beast on the edge of extinction.  Finding the other Tube50/100 users who still exist is a bit like the Mammoth in Ice Age the Movie trekking across the tundra searching for his mate.  You can see here how much traffic there is on this site in your own area.

Rock On Humble Pie

hkt001 likes this post

hkt001
    hkt001

Post by hkt001 Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:36 pm

Thanks mate! Yes I know I found a hidden jem & very few seem talk about them?
    The amp is in prisitine condition, rescued from idle non use owner?

My only issue is the fx loop? did not work during audition. checked resistors for the loop all in normal range.
    Everything else checked out, original tubes very low millage Smile

Cleaned out and very happy.

Thank,s not sure about 12 ax7 choices stock H&K from 97 so just wanted to get more info.

Cheers.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:21 pm

Aha!  A second Fx Loop issue today.  That's a record.

Your most likely problem with a faulty Fx loop in an amp which has seen little use is simply dirty contacts on the socket switch wafers.  That has to be your starting point.  Just spray the Bejeesus out of them with a proper contact cleaner spray.  Definitely NOT WD40 or any equivalent, I mean something like Servisol Super 10.  WD = "W"ater "D"isplacement.  You could try a patch cable just bridging the Send and Return sockets to see if it is the switch contacts before even cleaning them.

Other than that I can tell you that the Fx Loop is fed directly from the main signal line where one of the opamps acts as a driver for the Loop Send.  The signal from the Return has its own opamp buffer which is an area of possibility.  It is then blended back into the main signal line immediately after.  So if the amp is working then the chances are you should have a signal at the Send socket.  The only other thing in that path is the -10dB switch and its resistors.  Does the problem occur with that both in and out?

Are you able to take the Loop Send signal and feed it into another amp.  That would confirm that everything is working fine up to the Send socket.  If you can then feed a signal back into the Return socket from a different source, guitar into another amp to use its Fx Loop Send signal or using just a boosting pedal for example, you can check the return side to see if that is the issue. Then bridge the Loop sockets with a patch cable to see if the issue is in the switching contacts of the sockets themselves, bridging with a cable takes them out of the picture, and your testing is complete. You should know where the problem lies then.

It can't be much I can tell you, and the chances are that it is down to the sockets being corroded after standing for a long time unused.  Here is a link to a useful site for you:  Tube 50 S-Manual  You should find the Tube 100 there too.  It will help to be able to have a look at what you are working on.

Do those simple tests and get back with the results and we can see where it leads us.

And if you hang around here you will find I'm not a huge advocate of things like valve rolling.  There is a lot less in it than people make out and it is a distraction from things which really do make a difference.  The engineering definition and categorisation of valves is not understood at all outside of the engineering profession.  Design engineers know the lengths taken in GOOD circuitry to make differences in components like valves irrelevant.  For example, the opamp was invented as a means to do away with the active gain element parameters.  In a decent circuit at audio frequencies and preamp levels there is absolutely no difference whatsoever between the major opamp types and this can be clearly displayed in microscopically accurate test equipment on the lab bench.  But people still believe there are "magical" types which just sound so much better.  Too many myths creep in and eventually a new industry is born, just like the after-market hype around getting the perfect valves for "your sound"!  Beware of becoming wrapped up in that spider's web.  Does your amp sound good with its current valves?  If that's a "yes" then don't waste your time trying to "gild the lily" and chase some aural perfection which you don't even know exists.  There is an old saying "perfection is the enemy of good".  It certainly applies in this case.

Rock On Humble Pie
    hkt001
    hkt001

Post by hkt001 Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:21 pm

Hi I read your other post about fx loop. Very helpful! Also about tube rolling.
    I agree with your assessment in regards to the engineering principles behind the preamp tubes.

That being said do you have the same opinions to amps without a power tube?
    When it comes to preamps, (rack mount; preamps).
    I have a number of them and I understand each piece of equipment is its own dynamic. My prefrences only 4 brands of tubes.
    NOS are very hard to find from reputable sources at a good price. So I’m left with only a few companies making the same tube rebranded.

I have noticed not dramatic but also very pleasing change in tone, dynamics, and saturation on a few of these preamps? I do have a sensitive ear so I can hear subtleties that some don’t hear.
    Having stopped chasing tone quite a very long time ago although I know what sound good to me.

Just wanted to get your thoughts?
    Thanks.

I’m sure you have all of them but for others.

I’ll update you on the results of your instructions next week

bordonbert likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:20 am