The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

BS200 floor firmware version

NickwithaK
    NickwithaK

BS200 floor firmware version Empty BS200 floor firmware version

Post by NickwithaK Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:15 am

Trying to update the firmware on my BS200 floor but cannot find the update button on the app. Wondering if it’s because it’s already at the latest version? Mine says version 1.0.1 (build 19091903).
    Can anyone confirm if this is the latest version? Tried emailing H&K but got no reply after over a week.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

BS200 floor firmware version Empty Re: BS200 floor firmware version

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:07 am

Hi Nick. Let me first say that H&K support via email is always very hit and miss.  They say that, as their support team is out on the road travelling around events so much, emails are not always convenient on mobile devices and they seem to sometimes leave them for weeks until they are back in the office.  I can tell you from my own experience that you will get a much quicker response from a Facebook post on their page than via email.  Facebook seems to be more convenient when you are out on the road. Look for "Hughes & Kettner Product Service".

I had a hard time finding anything related to the BS200 software update procedure which surprised me so much i was beginning to doubt whether you could do it at all.  There seems to be nothing in the manual or on H&K's website.  Then I came across this:  Sweetwater BS200 Update. Have a look at that and see if it helps.

Make sure to back up your presets first!
    Make sure to allow the process to complete before unplugging or switching anything off. Amps have been 'bricked' by getting that wrong.

Finally, please let us know how you get on with this. We can maybe help further if it isn't going to work, and you never know when it will help someone else in the future if it does.

Rock On Humble Pie
    NickwithaK
    NickwithaK

Post by NickwithaK Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:16 am

That is my issue though, I’ve give through this article and tried updating the firmware on my amp but I can’t find the “update firmware” button anywhere. Which is why I thought maybe it’s already at the latest version. BS200 floor firmware version Img_6910
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:27 pm

Ahhh, gotcha!!!  Yes, I see what you are saying now, sorry.  That is odd isn't it?  It's a very genuine query, and one that I have come across myself with other software, (not related).  What host is your app running in, iOS or Android?

EDIT: Just occurred to me. It says that you MUST be connected to a WiFi network with internet connection and connected to the amp via Bluetooth before it will allow the process to start. Are you internet connected here, and is the amp talking to the app? It may be that the option doesn't appear unless you have both and the download is completely setup to go ahead.

Rock On Humble Pie
    NickwithaK
    NickwithaK

Post by NickwithaK Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:05 pm

Using an iPad and yes it’s connected to the internet.
    Still no firmware update button :/
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:36 pm

The original app was written for iPad so it should be ok.  You have internet, presumably you have bluetooth connecting your amp and app.  I can't think of anything else.  Time to talk to the H&K support staff.  I'll ask them on their Facebook page and keep you updated with anything they can suggest. Maybe it is simply that you are already on the most up to date version?

Rock On Humble Pie
    NickwithaK
    NickwithaK

Post by NickwithaK Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:45 pm

Yes that’s what I was thinking. I can ask on the Facebook page myself it should be easier that way. Which page is it?
    Also I was posting here hoping someone with a floor model could confirm which version they had.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:51 pm

Yes, it would help for someone else to come in on this but BS200F users are thin on the ground. I've asked them in a message on FB now. The site you want is here: H&K FB Page. There are a lot of H&K groups out there and they tend to get in the way. The legit one will have a reference to "Page . Product/Service" in the Intro. You used to be able to post queries as public messages so they were answered pretty quickly. Now it's not so open and you can only private message them so it isn't seen by everyone.

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:13 pm

This might be useful or it might be nothing.  Here is a link to the app on its page on the Google Play Store:  App Page on Play Store. Scroll across to picture 5 and voila, they are listing the version as 1.0.2 build 19101101. Picture 13 even shows the Update option. Now take note that this is the app for the BS200 Floor.

Now click on the link to the "Black Spirit 200 Remote, Stamer Group" on the right. Look at the same pictures there and you will see that they show a different version number with the Update option now missing, just as you show in your pic.

Is it possible you have the wrong app installed? It should be labelled BS200F in small print in the top centre. I'm not sure if they would both work in their control modes and only differ in some details.

Rock On Humble Pie
    NickwithaK
    NickwithaK

Post by NickwithaK Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:28 pm

That is interesting. I definitely have the floor model app hmm 🤔
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:05 am

H&K came back to me on Facebook. They asked me to send them details through their support email address! I'm not so confident of an immediate response now. Guess we will have to wait and see what comes back. Hopefully, if they are now steering us away from Facebook as a support tool, they will pick up on their email support times. If you want to talk to them as well that is fine though you say you have already done that via email. It helps that the forum is a known entity to them and I have spoken to the support staff about technical stuff before so they know me a little. I'll keep you up to date with anything they send back of course.

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:43 am

In the meantime...

Have you considered uninstalling and reinstalling the app? Logic tells us it won't make any difference but it may just kick something into place and it is always recommended as a potential fix for odd problems like this. There maybe could be a setting somewhere which would be corrected. Mind you, I'm beginning to think it may be that you are already on the latest version and the update option only becomes visible when a new version is detected.

If you do try it, of course make sure to back up your presets first, then take a note of the current version to check if the new installation is the same.

Rock On Humble Pie
    NickwithaK
    NickwithaK

Post by NickwithaK Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:57 am

Yes I’ve tried reinstalling the app and factory reset to be the amp but none of those helped unfortunately.
    Thanks for all your help, I truly appreciate. Guess now we just have to wait on H&Ks email. 🤞

bordonbert likes this post

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:12 am

H&K have replied to me. Not a bad response time I think. This is what they say:

H&K Support wrote:With the current version 1.01 the “Update firmware” button disappeared. It´s as simple as that. So, you´re on the latest Version – no changes needed.

I replied asking if that means the Update option is completely removed or if it only appears when there is an update available. They came back with:

H&K Support wrote:As you have the latest Version it is as it is. In case we are launching a new firmware - the app will be updated as well . . . with the Button.

So H&K now consider their firmware to be fully functional and stable and do not think they will release any new updates. The need for the update button has ceased so it has gone. This ties in with their other amps, like my GM36 for example. They don't work with an attitude of constantly fiddling and repurposing their software unless there is a major bug discovered. (There never has been in their other products.) The button has been permanently removed from the software in this latest version. If there is ever a new release of the firmware it will be matched with a new version of the app with the update procedure built back in. (As an ex-software developer I can say the functionality is most likely still there in the code, access to see and use it has just been written out.)

Hope that sets your mind at ease Nick.

Rock On Humble Pie
    NickwithaK
    NickwithaK

Post by NickwithaK Wed Jul 03, 2024 7:47 am

Thanks for your help and for going through all of that my friend. I truly appreciate!
    Now I wonder what that version 1.0.2 we saw in the android app is 🤔
    Oh well haha
    Thanks again

bordonbert likes this post

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:59 am

Laughing Well spotted you, I missed that! Yeah, I guess the versions could be a bit confused if we compare them with their advertising bumph. It's always full of "jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, never jam today" type promises! Although it isn't beyond belief that a 1.0.2 version would be developed then ditched after testing on the basis of not being significantly better, or even flawed, in comparison to the previous one. I have known that myself.

Anyway, you're welcome for what help I could give. At least you can sleep at nights now knowing there is nothing lacking in your setup. Wouldn't it be nice if there were a few more BS200 users? Surely they must be selling better than this makes them look? Mind you, if there are no faults and flaws with them, no one would ever need to find us here. Wink

Rock On Humble Pie
    NickwithaK
    NickwithaK

Post by NickwithaK Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:25 pm

Yes im actually surprised how little attention H&K is getting in North America

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:29 pm