The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Heavy distortion

stugotz74

Heavy distortion Empty Heavy distortion

Post by stugotz74 Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:02 am

Hi all,

Is it possible to get a real heavy distortion i.e. metallica (and justice for all album)?

i cant seem to get a real nice chunky distortion

If I cant, I have a Boss metal zone. would the best placement of this between guitar and amp via front input or in FX loop with my volume pedal. Thanks in advance!
    gravydb
    gravydb

Heavy distortion Empty Re: Heavy distortion

Post by gravydb Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:37 pm

No luck with the Ultra channel?

The best place for that pedal will be between the gtr and amp, not in the fx loop.
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:46 pm

the ultra is good but i couldn't get the right combination. Just not chunky enough. I'll keep playing with it. maybe I've missed something.

Is it better to have the patch volume levels high and the main volume knob low, or vice versa? does it even matter?

Yes the metal zone in between the guitar and amp is awesome!!

I have so many other equalization settings on the pedal
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:59 pm

Definitely experiment with the master vs volume knobs. Up until recently I was keeping at volume knob at noon and then the master would end up at 8 o'clock for home practice... But thanks to some advice I got on this forum, I experimented with reducing the volume and increasing that master, and I'm not done tweaking, but I believe I perceive an improvement in tone.
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Sweet. It's an endless rabbit hole!!
    I know there was talk of a forum or something for us to upload and share patches. Any new info?
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:49 am

Jeff Waters from Annihilator has been using the GM lately, so he has some secret sauce. I use the Utlra for a smooth crunch Soldano - I kind of get the feeling you aren't going to get there without a pedal in front of the amp.
    I use a Line6 HD500X in front of this amp - I get about 1/2 my tones by having the HD either boost, or model a Tube Screamer. I've also tried a real TS in front of this amp - that combo is killer. For instance, take the Crunch channel and turn the gain up to 255 (10), then put a TS with hardly any gain but plenty of level in front, take a guitar with a Pearly Gates in the neck, and Rev Billy pours out the speaker. The combo of a little semiconductor distortion and GM tube saturation works well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:07 pm