The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Factory Settings Spreadsheet to match PDF

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Factory Settings Spreadsheet to match PDF Empty Factory Settings Spreadsheet to match PDF

Post by bordonbert Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:52 pm

God my head aches!  I've just spent a lot of time with the Default Factory Settings document taking them all off into a format where they are readable and editable.  I've had to do this by eye and hand, one voice at a time.  There is no way to automate this process with software as far as I can see.  The pdf is comprised of pics of each setting rather than as placed text on a pictorial background which I could maybe have parsed out of the page source.

There are some observations!

1. In switch settings "O" represents On, "X" represents Off.
    2. H&K show FX Loop status even though it is always off.
    3. For some reason voice 40 is just plain not there!  It jumps from 39-10C straight to 41-11A.
      [  Exclamation  EDIT: Thanks to Fatjac I have now added Voice 40 in as it should be, Country Boy 2, so you have them all. ]
    4. H&K list whether the Noise Gate is on or off but give no idea as to the setting on the rear panel control.

I'm sure there will be errors as my eyes were boggling by the time I had finished. cyclops There is nothing that jumps out at me but if anyone finds anything incorrect let me know.  I'm not sure but it looks as though I can't upload the .xlsx file onto this site direct.  If I'm wrong about that let me know and I'll get it here for anyone to access.  Here is a link to it:

DOWNLOAD FACTORY SETTINGS SPREADSHEET

It is on Dropbox so it looks a bit weird!!!  Just click on the [...] button top right and choose download.

I'm off for an Ouzo and a sit in the sun!   I deserve it!   sunny

Last edited by bordonbert on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    ConradK

Factory Settings Spreadsheet to match PDF Empty Re: Factory Settings Spreadsheet to match PDF

Post by ConradK Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Hey thanks for doing this much appreciated seeing how each sound has been constructed
    Fatjac

Factory Settings Spreadsheet to match PDF Empty Re: Factory Settings Spreadsheet to match PDF

Post by Fatjac Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:43 am

Thanks. That's really good!

I can also add my own presets to the sheet now too.
    Fatjac

Post by Fatjac Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:45 am

I have preset 40 as "Country Boy 2" by Thomas Blug...

The least I can do for you is to give you the numbers!

So L to R starting with Presence:

100, 100, x, 0, 100, 100, 62, 100, x, clean, o, 30, x, 42, 29, 256, 234, 98,0, trem, 36, 10, d
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:15 am

That's great Fatjac. Thanks for the support there. I've added it to the online spreadsheet and uploaded a new copy. Could you just check that it shows up when you reference it yourself? Much appreciated.
    Fatjac

Post by Fatjac Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:23 am

No probs. Yes it's all there and checked as correct!

Well done again.

I'm gonna be posting on the speaker thread soon as I think my Vintage 30's are WAY too harsh so I'm looking for alternatives. So have a look there later and give me some help please!

Gary
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:42 am

You'll find all the answers you need there FJ. Phrasemaker is a good guy to look out for with the speaker thing. He's done a fair bit of swapping out and can give some good advice.
    Fatjac

Post by Fatjac Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi Bordonbert,

I have just been trying to use your spreadsheet in order to add some of my own presets. However whilst most of it is ok it starts to lose it a bit at the FX & Delay settings. The FX column is shown as off for every preset which cannot be true.

Next there is no column for the Delay button shown on the GM36 APP but then the first 2 columns, Level & Feedback look ok.

The next 2 though, Time & BPM seem all over the place. I seem to have different numbers for the Time with the minimum being 51 & the maximum 1360. These equate to 1176 in the BPM column & 44.

Please don't take this as a criticism! Merely an observation.

I'd be interested to hear what numbers you have on your iPad APP on those columns.

Regards

Gary

Last edited by Fatjac on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:12 am

Hi Gary, don't worry it's no problem, if there is something wrong in there we want to get it put right.

Yes the FX is correct being off for all. Remember these are the original Factory Settings and they can't know what you might have in the loop. They are all off as default and need to be edited if you want to include your own pedals to these voices.

You're quite right, in the App the Delay indicator acts as though it is switchable. I'm not sure why it shows a Delay Button, I don't have one! I wonder if this is meant to be just a convenience Delay indicator? If the Delay Level is set to 0 it is effectively off and if it is above that it is On. Do you have an On/Off switch for your Delay?

And I don't know what is happening with the Time and BPM, the values displayed in mine seem to be fine. Do you mean that the spreadsheet has downloaded with those figures displayed in it or do you mean that's what happens when you try to enter them? My own original was intended as a reference for the Factory Settings only. It may be that I have some sort of restrictions or formulae in the cells outside of the original data block. I'll check that out on the reference copy here and get back to you.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:56 am

Ok, I've revisited the spreadsheet to explore Gary's points and to tidy up and add a lot of data entry validation and it looks like we have problems!  Not with the spreadsheet as far as I can see, but with the format of the data in the first place.

There is a very basic clash in that the original Factory Default Settings from H&K are in the range 0-100, presumably %, and the app works (mostly) in 0-255 which are internal values.  So the values entered are not transferable from one to the other without conversion!!!!

Also there are app oddities that I hadn't noticed before.

The Delay Time is a control but BPM is only an indicator whose displayed value is set by Time, it is not editable.  Why it needs to be able to click into it and enter new values manually is not clear.  It may simply be that that is an aspect which can't be turned off programatically.  It looks like the minimum value of Delay Time is 80ms which relates to a BPM maximum value of 750, I can't confirm this or find out what the maximum Time value is at the moment.

All rotary controls in the app are in the 0-255 range except Modulation rate which is 0-63, no doubt due to the internal workings of the GM.

While the Reverb and Delay sections seem to have a switch there in the top left, it is only an indicator, although a clickable one like the Delay BPM.  Where does that relate to any real control on the GM?  I think the idea must be to have them light up when the value of their Level control is above 0.

I'm working on it.  If anyone can offer any data which helps clarify things it would be appreciated.  I'll convert these to app settings and repost the spreadsheet as soon as I can get it done.  "I am just going outside and may be some time."
    Fatjac

Post by Fatjac Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:07 am

Hi BB,

I see that you have posted again but I was just replying to your first post so let me continue with that and then I'll look at the points in your second one.

FX selected off. I agree, I edited the post and got that wrong.

Delay On/Off button. There are also ones for Reverb & Modulation. These are not on the Amp. IMHO they are there to allow you to set up these effects and then use midi control to switch them on & off without having to use eg the delay level to switch the delay on & off. So I use my FCB1010 with 5 switches to control Reverb, Loop, Delay, Modulation & Boost.

I see that you have now noticed anomaly with the delay time/ BPM values.

Fatjac

Post by Fatjac Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:22 am

bordonbert wrote:Ok, I've revisited the spreadsheet to explore Gary's points and to tidy up and add a lot of data entry validation and it looks like we have problems!  Not with the spreadsheet as far as I can see, but with the format of the data in the first place."

Agreed.

bordonbert wrote:There is a very basic clash in that the original Factory Default Settings from H&K are in the range 0-100, presumably %, and the app works (mostly) in 0-255 which are internal values.  So the values entered are not transferable from one to the other without conversion!!!!"

Exactly!

bordonbert wrote:Also there are app oddities that I hadn't noticed before.

The Delay Time is a control but BPM is only an indicator whose displayed value is set by Time, it is not editable.  Why it needs to be able to click into it and enter new values manually is not clear.  It may simply be that that is an aspect which can't be turned off programatically.  It looks like the minimum value of Delay Time is 80ms which relates to a BPM maximum value of 750, I can't confirm this or find out what the maximum Time value is at the moment."

Are you sure that the BPM is not editable? I can set the BPM by clicking into this box & the delay time changes accordingly, as it should. Surely this allows you to set the BPM directly if you know it rather than calculate the delay time.

Setting the delay time to the minimum, 51 on my APP, gives 1176 BPM. This correct (actually 51.02 seconds)

Setting the maximum, 1360, gives 44 BPM. Also correct (actually 1363.64! but who would notice that difference?)

bordonbert wrote:All rotary controls in the app are in the 0-255 range except Modulation rate which is 0-63, no doubt due to the internal workings of the GM."

On my APP ALL rotary controls are 0-100 except delaly with the settings being 51-1360.

bordonbert wrote:While the Reverb and Delay sections seem to have a switch there in the top left, it is only an indicator, although a clickable one like the Delay BPM.  Where does that relate to any real control on the GM?  I think the idea must be to have them light up when the value of their Level control is above 0."

bordonbert wrote:I'm working on it.  If anyone can offer any data which helps clarify things it would be appreciated.  I'll convert these to app settings and repost the spreadsheet as soon as I can get it done.  "I am just going outside and may be some time."

We'll get there eventually!

Gary
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:28 am

I agree with your idea on the missing buttons Gary.  It is a confusing way of displaying it though.  I would maybe have set it so that the other linked controls are reset to 0 when the button is turned off and the values are stored in the background and reset when the button is turned on.

I have noticed a number of display oddities now.  In the original HG&K graphic list every one of the BPM is either 0 or 44 no matter what the Time setting is at.  This is nonsense of course.  If I knew the minimum and maximum Time settings possible I could convert the whole shebang and give the correct BPM display values too.  You would assume it to start at 0ms but, in the app, when the control is set to 0 the time below it shows 80ms.

I'm extending the spreadsheet to 128 voices and putting in restrictions to the range of entries where it is applicable.

I think when I get this finished I'm going to post it as a PDF of the Factory Settings for reference and an Excel spreadsheet with them entered but editable to set up your own.

It isn't going to be quick sorting this lot out.  And I thought it was a simple spreadsheet.

Just got your post as I tried to post mine.

Interested to hear your BPM box works as it should. Are you using the iPad version or Android or Windows? I've got the Windows version here and it seems to have the issue. I'll check on my li'l Android tablet when I can. (I'm strictly a non-i ndividual!)
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:32 am

Ah! Reread and picked up on "51 on my APP, gives 1176 BPM" and "1360, gives 44 BPM". Thanks for that, I should be able to sort it out from there.

The final values will show a difference of +-1 in some settings. As a proportion of 255 that's easily close enough. It's a factor of Excel's rounding functionality versus whatever H&K did to the original data to get their %ages.
    Fatjac

Post by Fatjac Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:45 am

bordonbert wrote:I agree with your idea on the missing buttons Gary.  It is a confusing way of displaying it though.  I would maybe have set it so that the other linked controls are reset to 0 when the button is turned off and the values are stored in the background and reset when the button is turned on.

Sorry but no. I disagree. It's down to the way that midi works. Rather than send a value message you send a specific on off message that controls the required effect. That way your programmed settings remain and you just switch the function on & off.

bordonbert wrote:I have noticed a number of display oddities now.  In the original HG&K graphic list every one of the BPM is either 0 or 44 no matter what the Time setting is at.  This is nonsense of course.  

Yes I agree. Which is where my problems started and why I posted !

bordonbert wrote:If I knew the minimum and maximum Time settings possible I could convert the whole shebang and give the correct BPM display values too.  You would assume it to start at 0ms but, in the app, when the control is set to 0 the time below it shows 80ms.

You have them now!

bordonbert wrote:I'm extending the spreadsheet to 128 voices and putting in restrictions to the range of entries where it is applicable.

I think when I get this finished I'm going to post it as a PDF of the Factory Settings for reference and an Excel spreadsheet with them entered but editable to set up your own.

It isn't going to be quick sorting this lot out.  And I thought it was a simple spreadsheet.

No worries, thanks for doing it all & listening to some feedback!

bordonbert wrote:Just got your post as I tried to post mine.

Interested to hear your BPM box works as it should.  Are you using the iPad version or Android or Windows?  I've got the Windows version here and it seems to have the issue.  I'll check on my li'l Android tablet when I can.  (I'm strictly a non-i ndividual!)

iPad!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:47 pm

I've made a start with the spreadsheet and data.  Here is a PDF of the settings as posted by H&K but corrected to match the 0-255 app settings rather than H&K's 0-100.

Factory Settings PDF

The conversions were done in Excel so the rounding functionality may mean a discrepancy of 1 in a few cases, (Excel is pretty thick like that). That really should be irrelevant in the real world. The BPM settings are strange to my eyes! There are a lot of 44s in there! I don't think they have bothered to link Time and BPM in any meaningful way unless I'm missing something about this.

I'm working on the spreadsheet itself at the moment so personal settings can be put in there. I want to include functionality to link things like Delay Time with BPM, so you can change either and the other updates to reflect it. You can't do this with simple formulae, (circular references). This means using VBA so Macros will have to be enabled to allow the calculations to take place. I have that process working at the moment so it shouldn't be too long.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:16 pm

Ok, so I need a little bit of feedback here to know which is the best way forward.

In the spreadsheet, are we talking about entering the value of Delay Time in millisecs or the position of the knob 0-255? It is entirely feasible to add a column for each and link them all. My own feeling is that as it represents what the amp control will be set to and there is no display of delay time on the amp only the rotational position of the knob, we should enter this as a position 0-255. It will then be converted and displayed as true BPM in the BPM column, (rounded to the nearest whole number of course).

In the reverse direction, entering BPM as is in its column would convert and display as Delay Time Knob position 0-255.

Does that seem logical or is there a better way to set this up?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:31 am

Ok, I'm a bit further down the line now.  The corrected version is in the link at the bottom of this post.  The spreadsheet is meant for setting up your own voices but I have it ready loaded with the original settings, (or very close approximations), as a starting point.  It's locked down but not password protected so feel free to fiddle and make changes to suit your own preferences.

The first point is that it is now in two parts.  You can work in either amp units, (0-255), or H&K units, (0-100).  There are two sheets on tabs in the bottom left and each one is for a specific approach.  Each one also has a secondary area where it converts to the other automatically.  You should only be able to insert settings into the first in each worksheet, the second is only for display.  Also bear in mind that conversion from one to the other may involve a unit or so rounding error.  Every step in the 100 setup means an increase of 2.5 units in the 255 setup so there is inevitably overlap and numbers you can't reach.  1 or maybe 2 units in 100 or 255 doesn't mean much in terms of setting a rotary knob so I don't really see this as significant in the larger scheme of things.

I've gone ahead and included both of the scenarios I mentioned above.  I have added in another column so we now have Delay:  Time, Rotation, BPM.  You can add in an entry to any of those 3 columns and the other 2 should automatically update to reflect that entry when you leave the cell.  You can also clear the cells and leave them empty.  It uses Visual Basic to do this in the background so beware of making too many changes to things.  You may also find your system warns you about enabling macros for the spreadsheet.  If you don't like that, that area just won't work  There is also a fair bit of entry authentication going on too and it is possible that aspects like that may conflict with the VBA.  If they do please let me know and I'll look into it.  For anyone who feels they want to play with the code you can find it in the Developer area of Excel.

As I said, the spreadsheet has a version for 0-255 levels.  There is an odd exception in Modulation Rate which only goes from 0-63.  This still relates to a full rotation of the control and I'm not sure how the oddity will pan out in practice.  It could be changed if we can come up with a better way of expressing it.

I have used the original H&K pictorial version of the factory settings as my reference.  Most of the time the differences between the H&K and the Windows GM36 app which I am using are only a couple of points and are no doubt due to rounding errors at various stages of conversion.  I haven't noticed anything wildly off yet but if you find anything once again let me know.

I won't edit it into the first post yet as a replacement until it has been looked over by others and we are sure it works for setting up your own voices as it should.  Remember, it's not a robust finished bit of programming, it's a quick useful tool which may have flaws, so be forgiving.   Wink

Settings Spreadsheet Corrected

EDIT: I should have pointed out that you will need to download it to get it to work. Dropbox takes you to a display of the sheet. Use the [...] button top right and choose Download. It may specifically need Excel to run locally, I'm not sure if programmes like Open Office will cope with the VBA.
    NZ_Nick

Post by NZ_Nick Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:38 pm

These spreadsheets are great BB. Thanks.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:47 am

Glad to hear they are proving useful. Don't forget to let me know if you find any glaring errors, it was an eye boggling task so it wouldn't surprise me if you did.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm