The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

5 posters

jcm800 sounds ??

coachz
    coachz

jcm800 sounds ?? - Page 2 Empty Re: jcm800 sounds ??

Post by coachz Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:02 am

bordonbert wrote:Are you saying that, if Steve Vai was playing a no-name Strat direct through a no-name amp and cab you would not like his sound?  For me, at the end of the day the guitarists I love sound incredible no matter what their setup is when I hear them.  It may be slightly different to what I am used to but that is of no consequence.  Yes, they would choose great gear and make sure to get the sound they want in general, but that doesn't mean I am not thrilled at what I hear when I see them with run of the mill kit.  I've seen someone I suspect you may like, Guthrie Govan, get up and jam in a local pub with borrowed gear and he is still amazing, with the ability to coax astounding tone out of that unfamiliar gear.  That's a great guitarist with the tone in his fingers.

I want and expect the direct sound of one or more guitar 4x12 cabinets to be hitting me in the face. To me, that is the definition for Rock and Roll.

In fact Al Dimeola has that problem. His sound comes from the PA and not from stage amps. While his tone was great, I'm sitting up front and his sound is coming from the side PA speakers. It emotionally detached me from his guitar playing and I ended up walking to the back of the hall to hear the guitar sync up with the performance I was seeing.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:07 am

Coachz wrote:When track order changes, it's always fun re-ordering the patches in the unit.
    I don't get that Coachz!  If track order changes you just reorder the names of the numbers on your list, you keep the same patch numbers and don't need to touch the FSM432 to reprogram at all.

Surely your list

TrackTitleBank, Patch
    Trk 1Hotel California4, AB
    Trk 2Tender Surrender7, ABC
    just becomes

TrackTitleBank, Patch

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:14 am

I'm definitely on the same page with the impact thing. I was always one of the lean on the stage guys when I was following the likes of Humble Pie many years back. If it don't flutter your hair it 'aint really there. But that to me isn't a tonal issue involving things like valve choice. I agree, it's a cabinet issue and I'm with you in using a 4x12, (late 1960s 1960a with G12M Greenbacks, if you get the sense of that.)

I wouldn't say it was the definition of rock and roll for me either. Going to see someone from the balcony of the Albert Hall is just as great an experience as seeing them from the edge of the stage in a standing club for me. It's a different experience but just as valid though it presses different buttons.

Rock On Humble Pie
    coachz
    coachz

Post by coachz Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:15 am

bordonbert wrote:
    Coachz wrote:When track order changes, it's always fun re-ordering the patches in the unit.
    I don't get that Coachz!  If track order changes you just reorder the names of the numbers on your list, you keep the same patch numbers and don't need to touch the FSM432 to reprogram at all.

Surely your list

TrackTitleBank, Patch
    just becomes

TrackTitleBank, Patch

I prefer to increment sequentially through the song patches. Use each bank of 4 patches for a song and bank up for the next song. Tap dancing is not my forte. :-)
    coachz
    coachz

Post by coachz Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:17 am

Two minutes ago I realized what a true scientist I am. I ate some grapes my wife gave me and they had a perfume flavor. I asked my wife if she had lotion on her hands when she washed them and she said yeah, a little. She showed me her hands and I promptly licked them. Yup same taste ! Mystery solved. Definitely surprised her.
    coachz
    coachz

Post by coachz Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:18 am

bordonbert wrote:I'm definitely on the same page with the impact thing.  I was always one of the lean on the stage guys when I was following the likes of Humble Pie many years back.  If it don't flutter your hair it 'aint really there.  But that to me isn't a tonal issue involving things like valve choice.  I agree, it's a cabinet issue and I'm with you in using a 4x12, (late 1960s 1960a with G12M Greenbacks, if you get the sense of that.)

I wouldn't say it was the definition of rock and roll for me either.  Going to see someone from the balcony of the Albert Hall is just as great an experience as seeing them from the edge of the stage in a standing club for me.  It's a different experience but just as valid though it presses different buttons.

exactly.
    spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:53 pm

coachz wrote:
    spikey wrote:
    coachz wrote:Seems like a waste of money, since the helix already has all the fx and amp models, not to mention adding the complexity of managing presets on two units.

It's only a waste if I used "your" money. For me and my money, it was very "very" well spent. And with that Bogner pedal listed above, it does a Marshall Plexi pretty well too! See I don't do metal and was skeptical about how this would sound esp. with Helix in the loop. It worked like a charm. With Helix added I can use my choice of a wah, compression, EQ where needed, up to 4 FX loops, etc etc... YMMV but I'm as Happy as can be with my set up, the best blues rock and rock&roll tones I've heard in a while. And since I running into Helix 1st I can use the foot controller for both, I can just change patches and be right back into using Helix for the Fenders and AC-30s. Best of both worlds for me! Oh, and if yer still worried my finances just send me some EB 9-42 Slinkys and a few guitar pics  cheers

ha ha.  Do you use patches on both the helix and the GM40 ?    Do you play live because I"m wondering how you manage the presets.  Do you have both the footswitch to the GM40 too ?    Thanks for any ideas.   It just seemed redundant so I appreciate the explanation.   You might like to try the EB cobalts too if you have not.  My hero Steve Vai is a fan.  

I used to do the 3:am Denny's "the nuts are out" breakfast after tear down, but I'm just a wee bit too old for that now... affraid

So I just play in my moddest studio now and enjoy all of the options available to us Musicians these days. But, you can play da "Gary Moore Rock/Blues" with the GM-40. Dont let um tell ya otherwise Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:55 am