The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Triamp mk3 and expression pedals?

Helias86
    Helias86

Triamp mk3 and expression pedals? Empty Triamp mk3 and expression pedals?

Post by Helias86 Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:45 pm

SO, I play in a band called Crimson Eye. it's some doom/Stoner metal sort of stuff, pretty goovy but heavy. And I was thinking... it would be cool to have the blue led lights on my Triamp mk3 be red, instead of blue. I read I need to use an expression pedal, and access some midi sub menus or something like that, but I am not sure what sort of pedal I would need in order to do this, nor how to use it. PLEASE HELP!!
    Cina
    Cina

Triamp mk3 and expression pedals? Empty Re: Triamp mk3 and expression pedals?

Post by Cina Mon May 01, 2017 11:54 am

Okay, the secret to this is that it's a pain in the ass but possible.

You need a MIDI device that can send CC's to the amp. An expression pedal could be one way to achieve that. I used my DAW/MIDI Keyboard Controller to fiddle with it.

CC 88 is Panel Brightness, as indicated in the user manual. It's the only panel control in the manual, by the way.

CC 87 is Saturation, or Alpha Channel, I believe. Not quite sure on that. If you set it to 127 you're good.

CC 86 is Hue. 127 = Purple, 1 = Red, with the rainbow in between.

You get a pretty nice Teal around 72, Green about 62, a Gold about 30, Orange at 15, and Blood-Red at 1.

So what you need to do is send MIDI CC 87 to 127, MIDI CC 86 to 1, (both easily achievable with a pedal as all the way down and all the way up, though easier with an editor so you don't have to mess with reassigning), and then MIDI CC88 or the knob on the back of the head to set the brightness.

Here's the kicker: the brightness will persist when you turn the amp off and back on. The Hue and Saturation are reset to default to H&K's chosen blue every time. So every time you turn it on, you have to set it Red again if you want it always red. Or build a box, contrive some way to always be able to send those CC's. I made a little program on my DAW that does it for me when I start it up. Been thinking of making a little battery powered circuit for live shows.
    Kryho
    Kryho

Post by Kryho Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:27 am

Does it concern only mk3, or Mk2 too?
    watersnake
    watersnake

Post by watersnake Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:25 pm

It's for MK3 only, because it's equipped with a RGB LED strip.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:25 pm