The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Cable to connect iPad to GM40

lextune
    lextune

Cable to connect iPad to GM40 Empty Cable to connect iPad to GM40

Post by lextune Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:04 am

Hi all, first post here. I got the GM40, and the MIDI foot switch, about a week ago; both of which I am loving.

My wife has an iPad that she barely uses, so I thought I would check out the GM40 app, (I have no interest in doing it wirelessly), what kind of cable will I need to connect the Ipad to the amp?
    lextune
    lextune

Cable to connect iPad to GM40 Empty Re: Cable to connect iPad to GM40

Post by lextune Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:23 am

Please forgive my ignorance, but after searching this forum a little more I am now wondering if it is even possible to have the FSM and iPad app both connected and working simultaneously.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:24 am

Yes it is possible.  You just connect the FSM432 to the GM40D by the supplied cable and the iPad to the amp by the other standard MIDI cables.  This is old info but have a look here:  H&K Connection VIdeo   If you go to the third graphic down, the video on hooking up the iPad app, you will see it in action.  You need a MIDI interface which will work with your iPad.  The vid uses the iRig MIDI but there will be others suitable for use with the iPad.  Once you have it set up right the amp is controllable from both devices and visual reporting of changes made on one will be transferred to the other.

iPad -> USB iRig MIDI

iRig In -> FSM432 MIDI In
    iRig Out -> GM40D MIDI Out/Thru

FSM432 MIDI Out -> GM40D MIDI In

The cables to hook up your iPad to the amp and foot pedal unit are standard 5pin MIDI cables.  Make sure to get the correct Male/Female terminations for your MIDI interface.  Usually these require male connectors on the cable as the iRig MIDI does but there used to be a few rogue ones which needed an "extension" type cable with male one end and female the other.  The GM40D and the FSM432 both require male plugs on their cables and the connection between them will of course need the supplied custom 7pin.  The extra pins are because it is powered from the amp so they are beyond what normal MIDI requires.

I'm not a GM40D user, I have a GM36, but I have used it in this configuration with a Windoze laptop and interface and there is no change to MIDI with the GM40D.  If someone could just confirm that they use it and my connections are correct I would appreciate it.  In fact the only things you can't see in that video are the amp connections at its rear.  These should be pretty much self explanatory and as I have shown.

Any MIDI interface you use MUST be compatible with MIDI SYSEX data transfer.  This allows for larger than MIDI defined data blocks which the app relies on.  Cheap Chinese interfaces are great for standard tasks but will not work with this app.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Lextune. I hope this helps.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 pm