The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Noob question

fenderfly
    fenderfly

Noob question Empty Noob question

Post by fenderfly Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Just received a GMD today and have a question? What are the odds of getting a good tone from a powered speaker or frfr through the red box di? I am new here so be kind!
    Madtone
    Madtone

Noob question Empty Re: Noob question

Post by Madtone Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:00 pm

Very good odds indeed. I went from a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2x12mini stack to a Line 6 powercab about a year ago. A lot easier to cart about and a more flexible solution. It allows you to crank the master volume up and drive the power tubes getting that rich overdriven power stage sound while controlling the output volume on the powercab. You still get the “amp in the room” experience, but won’t annoy the neighbours. Another benefit of the powercab is that you have a choice of simulated speakers at your disposal so if you’re worried about how to tame high end/treble, no problem change to a different speaker without having to physically change speakers. I would say that when using frfr option on the powercab, (with the speaker emulations engaged on the red box DI) the resulting sound for me, is not as good. Can’t comment on how this would be with a stand alone frfr speaker such as headrush or alto etc.
    Also in a live setting, you can use the powercab to monitor your guitar at a reasonable level on stage, whilst sending the output directly to FOH via the XLR out.
    For me this gives the tone and sounds I’m looking for and has totally changed my setup. From what I’ve seen, there doesn’t appear to be many that have taken advantage of this feature on H&K amps and using it in this way.
    It works for me but of course, as ever, ymmv 😃

fenderfly likes this post

fenderfly
    fenderfly

Post by fenderfly Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:03 pm

Thank you Madtone!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:24 am