The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

Tubemeister 18 V1 and V2

Mike
    Mike

Tubemeister 18 V1 and V2 Empty Tubemeister 18 V1 and V2

Post by Mike Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:47 am

Hello, I have read the manual for tubemeister and searched through many forums but I did not found a definitive answer. Which of preamp tubes position is V1 and which V2? In most cases it is the one closer to jack input, but I saw opinions online that it is the other way around in this amp. Thanks in advance!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Tubemeister 18 V1 and V2 Empty Re: Tubemeister 18 V1 and V2

Post by bordonbert Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:06 am

Hi Mike.  In your TM18 Vi is the valve on the left as you look at the front of the amp.  This is definite.  I have checked against a pic of the PCB which has the labels silk screened on.  TM18 PCB  You can clearly see H&K's T1 (or V1 as we would think of it) is labelled at the opposite end to the mains and standby switches.  That is the first valve in the chain.  That should sort out your problem.

EDIT: THIS IS INCORRECT SEE THE POSTS BELOW FOR EXPLANATION.

Last edited by bordonbert on Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rock On Humble Pie
    Mike
    Mike

Post by Mike Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:23 pm

Thank you very much, that clears thing up. Smile
    watersnake
    watersnake

Post by watersnake Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:10 pm

Hello,
    @bordonbert: would you please double-check your statement "... V1 is the valve on the left as you look at the front of the amp ..."

Looking at the attached picture of the TM18 Head - I am pretty sure, that V1 (T1) is not on the left of the amp as you look at the front of it.

The attached picture in your posting shows the Tubemeisters downside - with the front panel on the work bench, bottom cover is removed.

In my opinion V1 is on the right side of the amp looking to the front of the amp, near the input jack.
    The mains and standby switches are on the left.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:16 pm

GREAT CATCH WATERSNAKE.  You're absolutely right.  I didn't take into account the PCB is upside down in the amp when it's set up to play.

My apologies Mike, The V1 valve will be on the RIGHT of the amp when looking from the front with the amp the correct way up.  I was right when I said at the opposite end to the mains and standby switches and as Watersnake says it's nearest the input jack. (If only they had used a valve screen can this would have been obvious.)

That's the value of making full posts and giving the background detail there.  Everything needs to be double checked by someone else and that makes it easy.  (That's an engineering peer review for you!)  I do have my moments.  Thanks again Watersnake, you saved the day.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Mike
    Mike

Post by Mike Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:00 am

No worries, I was looking at this picture and noticed its upside down. By some stroke of luck I understood your response the right way but this correction will surely help others Smile .

bordonbert and FretBurner like this post

FretBurner
    FretBurner

Post by FretBurner Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:45 am

I guess, for any case without schematic, V1 should be the only one protected with the metal cylinder, metal jacket, the nearest one to the input.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:34 pm

That was the assumption Fretburner.  I  often write these responses late at night and I am sometimes a bit dozey.  Sometimes more dozey than even normal.  I think the thing that threw me was the fact that the amp is standing on its face not on its back.  And of course, the TM18 comes without any valve with a screening can on it.  Here is the publicity pic of it from H&K's own site.
    Attachments
    Tubemeister 18 V1 and V2 AttachmentH&K_TM18.jpg
    You don't have permission to download attachments.
    (42 Kb) Downloaded 4 times

Rock On Humble Pie
    FretBurner
    FretBurner

Post by FretBurner Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:10 pm

Ha!! mine is Tm36 and one is screened, I thought all of the versions have it Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:08 am