The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Effects Loop

RareForm
    RareForm

Effects Loop Empty Effects Loop

Post by RareForm Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:15 am

Hello all, I am new to the forum, but not new to visiting here and not a new H&K owner. I had a Triamp MKII Alex Lifeson Sig. with matching 4x12 and a Switchblade, and a Tubemeister 36. I now have a Grandmeister 36 and a Grandmeister 40 with matching 2x12 cabs.

I have read some threads on effects loops here and it gets a bit confusing. I am using the Line 6 Helix Floor and the two GMs in stereo through 7CM. All is working pretty good, but having some issues with getting the levels in the loop just right.

In the Helix, you can run an effects loop in the signal path or you can run send/return. What is the difference? Well, one seemingly small one, but amounts to some significance. When you run just a loop, you only take up one of the loops on the Helix. However, you can only program that to be Instrument or Line. You cannot combine both. Therefore, you give up one of your loops on the Helix. With the send return, you have control over each the send and return and therefore can assign each to their respective levels. Also, in running send/return, you take up an extra block in the signal path on the Helix.

Here is my concern: When I use just the effects loop on the Helix, I choose Instrument and get good levels all the way around, EXCEPT when one of the GMs is on the clean channel, heavy strumming can get a clipping indicator on the Helix. I find it inaudible however. When I use the send/return configuration on the Helix I can have the send from the Helix be Instrument level since that plugs in to the GM input. Then, the return on the Helix is set to line which comes from the GM send and the Helix Main Output is set to line which goes to the GM return. In this configuration, I have to adjust levels on the Helix (primarily the Main Output) to around +3db in order for it to sound as close to how the amp sounds raw with no fx loop. This gets no clipping indicator. Down side is I use all of my fx loops in the Helix. But, downside to using just a loop in the Helix and not send/return, is that I have no control of the level designation for that loop other than instrument or line.

I know the GM loop is line level, but has certain values in the gain staging of the send and return. I also know that the power amp section of the GM is voiced for the different channels and not sure if that gets put in to the mix some how, which I do not think the loop is involved in that.

The help I could use is should I just use the loop on the Helix in instrument and maybe adjust the return level coming back into the Helix, or the output level of the Helix to balance things out to make that loop a combo of instrument/line. IF so, what range of db should I be looking at?

Here is the signal path of the Helix: Guitar>Helix In. Helix Send>GM In. GM FX Loop Send> Helix Return. Helix Main Out>GM Return.
    RareForm
    RareForm

Effects Loop Empty Re: Effects Loop

Post by RareForm Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:22 am

Ok. Perhaps no one knows about this issue. Thanks.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:03 pm

I'm afraid I certainly have no experience of the Helix, RareForm, so I can't help. Give it a few days for people to see. You may get a response in a little while.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:43 pm