The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Drastic Volume changes from one preset to another ?

Ddancers
    Ddancers

Drastic Volume changes from one preset to another ? Empty Drastic Volume changes from one preset to another ?

Post by Ddancers Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 am

Just Got GrandMeister 40 Deluxe

(GM40deluxe) I find when switching the presets the output volume can go from low volume to a
    terrible super loud volume especially when changing to lead and ultra presets.
    On some banks the difference can blast you to the point I worry about my speaker.
    This is with master volume 10% setting. Maybe it just my unit but would be nice to hear this is normal.`

Thanks Ahead for any feedback.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Drastic Volume changes from one preset to another ? Empty Re: Drastic Volume changes from one preset to another ?

Post by bordonbert Tue May 11, 2021 11:51 am

It sounds like it is normal.  There are 2 volume controls in the chain.  The Master Volume is intended to be just that, an overall level control which acts on all presets.  The MV setting is not saved with presets.  This is deliberate as its job is to set the overall level to the conditions around while you are playing.  The "Volume" control IS saved with individual presets and its job is to balance each preset against the others for volume.  This may be what you are missing.

My advice is to turn the MV to a low setting and set up 2 voices, one based on Clean and the other on Lead or Ultra.  Bear in mind that the settings you make are remembered separately for each channel and reapplied when you switch so no need to save as presets.  Play with only the "Volume" control to set the level for each separately so they are both in balance.  Then see how the MV lifts the level for both equally.  If you were to save these as presets then the "Volume" level applied is saved as part of each one individually.  Don't worry if some are quite low in Volume setting, that's fine, the balance is the thing.

Also bear in mind that the setting of the Power Soak is remembered individually too. So that is another way of balancing them, save each with a different PS setting, higher power for the quieter clean voices and low power for the more animal ones.

It's a clever if simple way of setting things up on H&K's part.  It's surprising how many people do not seem to get the idea.  Give it a go and see if it helps your situation.

Rock On Humble Pie

Ddancers likes this post

Ddancers
    Ddancers

Drastic Volume changes from one preset to another ? Empty Re: Drastic Volume changes from one preset to another ?

Post by Ddancers Tue May 11, 2021 1:24 pm

Thanks I'm finding out it's an expected occurrence. I just didn't expect it with this amp. I had a line 6 amp did same thing at least with this amp I can adjust the presets.
    When your reviewing the presets and hit one that has it volume max out Plus Boost it can be a bit unnerving. Thanks Again...

bordonbert likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 9:23 pm