The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

MIDI hard vs soft controllers

yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

MIDI hard vs soft controllers Empty MIDI hard vs soft controllers

Post by yoMuzicMan Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:03 am

In the MIDI implementation chart for the GMD40, what is the difference between "Volume (soft)" controller #7 and "Volume (hard)" controller #57? I have the same question for the "Gain" controllers, but I assume it will be the same answer.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

MIDI hard vs soft controllers Empty Re: MIDI hard vs soft controllers

Post by bordonbert Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:45 am

This is from info re the Black Spirit 200.  I had to search to find it in order to make sure my own ideas were correct.  This applies to the BS200 Floorboard setup but I am sure it also applies to the FSM432 controller too, and probably any other MIDI controller will have the functionality to add pedals and assign them to do this.

Sweetwater re BS200 wrote:Connect expression pedal or footswitch

Expression pedals and single button footswitches connect to the Control 1 and 2 jacks. You must assign a controller change number (CC#) to each Controller jack in order for it to control a specific function. Consider connecting a single TRS footswitch to Controller 1 assigning a Boost (CC#64) so it turns the Boost on and off.

You can even connect an expression pedal to Control 2 and assign it to soft or hard Volume/Gain. The soft functions are relative to your volume, meaning “all the way up” on your expression pedal is the maximum volume saved to the preset. Hard functions ignore your preset gain and volume levels. Soft functions are preferred for consistent volume while changing presets.

There we have it.  Soft means "within the range 0 to a maximum set by the Volume or Gain control".  Hard means "within the range 0 to the maximum the amp can supply ignoring the Volume or Gain setting".  Does that make sense?

Rock On Humble Pie
    yoMuzicMan
    yoMuzicMan

Post by yoMuzicMan Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:50 pm

Yes, thank you!

bordonbert likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:54 am