The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Connecting to the Desktop App

ROJ
    ROJ

Connecting to the Desktop App Empty Connecting to the Desktop App

Post by ROJ Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:25 pm

I have the Desktop app on my computer and was wondering how to get my HK40 connected, can I use the WMI-1 to wirelessly connect or how exactly do I connect?

Thank you
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Connecting to the Desktop App Empty Re: Connecting to the Desktop App

Post by bordonbert Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:57 am

Hi ROJ. Using the WM-1 should make this easy though there are other units out there which you could consider which are not so expensive. However, I'm not sure what you mean by the HK40 as I don't recognise that model number. Do you mean a Grandmeister GM40D, or maybe a Tubemeister TM40D. It's important to get this straight before we can help you. Start by confirming which model you are actually dealing with.

Do you actually own a WM-1 at the moment or are you looking to buy one if you get confirmation that it will work?

Rock On Humble Pie
    ROJ
    ROJ

Post by ROJ Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:52 pm

I mean Hughes and Kettner Grand meister deluxe 40
    Yes, I do own a WMI-1

I have the app loaded on my Desktop that runs Windows, not Apple
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:51 pm

That's great.  We know now that you have everything you need and it is really just a question of steps to get them all talking together.  The GM40D is a different beast to the TM40D in its MIDI capabilities as well as the obvious music functions.

On the H&K website it actually says that the WMI-1 is for iPad use, it does not say whether Windows is supported or not supported.  I have to say their website info makes me think that perhaps the WMI-1 is only available for iPad and not for Windows machines, (and I'm no lover of things wireless and all things iPple).  I use the app with my GM36 but always cabled.  I have read posts where the Windows app is being used successfully with other units in place of the WMI-1.  Check out this response  But of course that seems to be cabled and not wireless.

Can anyone out there confirm they use it with the WMI-1 over wireless in a Windows setup?  Or maybe confirm that it is not possible with Windows?

In the meantime, the WMI-1 has 2x In and 1x Out ports.  Make sure that you have them set up as follows:

MWI-1 In -> FSM432 Out
    WMI-1 In -> GM40D Out
    WMI-1 Out -> GM40D In

Now when the WMI-1 is fired up it should set up its own wireless network.  Can you see that in the listing for networks available in Windows?  (I'm not sure how well you know Windows or which version you are running but I'm guessing you can probably find the right area for that.)

EDIT:  Hmm!  On the WMI-1 box it actually says, "Connect your Hughes & Kettner amp wirelessly to your iPad".  No mention of Windows machines, no suggestions it is a universal solution.  I'm a little worried this may not be possible.

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:13 pm

Aha!  This warrants a separate reply as it seems to be the confirmation we were after.  I have just looked into the posts lower down the page for the Black Spirit Windows app set up by Fredo in the comments section.  That's effectively the one we are using here.  Black Spirit app  Lower down someone asks him "Will this app work with Hughes and Kettner WMI-1 wireless MIDI interface, and MacBook?"  He replies, "No the app can only be used with a standard wired MIDI/USB interface like the M-Audio Uno".

That seem to be our answer from the designer's own lips.  It appears that your only option is to get a cabled MIDI interface and use that.  Do NOT buy a cheap Chinese one!  They do not have buffers of a large enough size to cope with the MIDI "Sysex" messages that the H&K amps use.  I know because I made that mistake myself.  You need a decent named model with Sysex capability.

Rock On Humble Pie
    ROJ
    ROJ

Post by ROJ Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:10 pm

I have Studio192 Interface? How would I use this, I do run it into the studio192 because I run redbox, how do I wire from studio192 to computer to make this work?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:26 pm

It looks to me as though you are confusing an audio interface with a MIDI interface. What you need is a unit which will transmit digital MIDI commands to your amp that tell it what changes you want it to make to its setup. The 192 is an audio interface which takes analogue signals such as a microphone or guitar, and converts them into digital signals so they can be processed via other digital software inside your PC. You need a MIDI interface not an audio one.

I don't know the Studio 192 but it appears it has no MIDI capabilities at all. Have a look here, this is a unit which is of the type you need, SubZero 4x4 MIDI Interface I am not recommending that unit in any way, there are many of them which will do the job, some very simple and some very complicated. To just use your GM40D with your Windows laptop you need only the simplest, but it must handle Sysex messages as I said before. Notice that that SubZero unit only has an old type USB connection and 4x In and Out pairs of MIDI connectors and no other audio inputs or outputs. It takes the commands from your PC via the USB port and converts them to travel along a pair of dedicated MIDI lines to the units you are controlling. That is the GM40D in our case though there could be other devices in the chain as well. It does not do anything with the audio signals in any way.

MIDI is only a method for units to talk to each other and swap commands, it is not a way of passing audio signals around or processing them in any way.

Rock On Humble Pie
    ROJ
    ROJ

Post by ROJ Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:26 pm

Thank you very much , I really appreciate your help!
    I will find me a Midi Interface

bordonbert likes this post

gucio
    gucio

Post by gucio Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:48 am

ROJ wrote:I have the Desktop app on my computer and was wondering how to get my HK40 connected,

Thank you

Did you manage to connect ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:38 am