The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+9
ConradK
mmiddei
namklak
normula1
stugotz74
Zybler
Egads
Rullian
HwyStar
13 posters

Buffered volume pedals are where it's at for me!

stugotz74

Buffered volume pedals are where it's at for me! - Page 2 Empty Re: Buffered volume pedals are where it's at for me!

Post by stugotz74 Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:45 am

Nice Dude! YEs iRig came with everything to plug in. even a usb/micro usb to charge iPad
    stugotz74

Buffered volume pedals are where it's at for me! - Page 2 Empty Re: Buffered volume pedals are where it's at for me!

Post by stugotz74 Tue May 19, 2015 10:48 am

I forgot to ask what are the 3 pedals next to GM foot switch?
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Tue May 19, 2015 11:43 am

Well the red pedal is a Boss RC-3 Looper. Except I don’t use it as a looper, in fact that little section of my pedalboard is completely independent of my actual guitar rig (my guitar signal does not go thru it, ever). Instead of using that pedal as a looper, I use it to trigger stored “audio events” that can be heard on my band’s studio recordings. For example, some sort of weird synth sound or special effect. Basically, after we finish recording an album, I decide which sounds are important enough to include in our live shows, and then I request those isolated tracks from our recording engineer, and I copy them onto the pedal. Our keyboardist is also our lead singer AND rhythm guitarist – so, during a live show he’s got his hands full – so I “help out” by triggering certain sounds that I have stored onto the pedal. Not having those sounds would not detract from the live performance, they are subtle, but being able to include them in a live show is pretty cool, and it’s easy for me to do.

The small unit in front is a selector, so that I can call up a specific sound, hands free. The device behind the pedal is a DI which just makes it convenient to connect the output of the pedal to a venue’s stage snake. I’ve been using this little rig for about 4-5 yrs now, it works great. If I were in a coverband, I’d have a ball triggering any necessary little effects, or key intro sounds, etc.

BTW, as of a few days ago, I’m using the PC editor for the Grandmeister! I love it! I got a M-Audio Midisport interface, instead of the iRig, because I decided to just use my existing laptop instead of having to borrow my wife’s or son’s iPad. It’s so cool!!!!
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Tue May 19, 2015 11:59 am

oh nice!!! Does it do the same thing as the iPad app?
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Tue May 19, 2015 12:00 pm

how do you hook it up to PC and GM??
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Tue May 19, 2015 1:00 pm

Yeah it has the same functionality as the iPad app, same look & feel.

The Midisport 1x1: it has 2 midi jacks (in and out), and then a USB jack to connect it to my laptop. So, same idea as the iRig.

I have the Midisport sitting on top of my rig, and then a 16' usb cable going to my workdesk (where my laptop is)... I love being able to sit somewhat far away from the amp and make adjustments... that's WAY better (more accurate) than sitting directly in front of it!
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Tue May 19, 2015 1:04 pm

Cool. I'll have to check that midisport. thanks!
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Wed May 20, 2015 6:44 am

any idea if this would work. A female iPad 30 pin to usb adapter plugged into my iRig MIDI then into pc?
    http://www.is-pc-parts.com/female-30pin-to-male-usb-cable-for-iphone-ipad-p-1826.html
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Wed May 20, 2015 1:06 pm

I guess that should work...

Are you thinking about using a PC instead of an iPad? Or both? Personally I'd rather just use 1 device (an iPad or a PC) to manage the GM.... I don't think I could keep two libraries straight... but that's just me Smile
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Wed May 20, 2015 1:10 pm

I'll stick with my iPad probably. Dont have a laptop. but this would be a nice backup alternative if the iPad is not available....i.e. wife or children have it. Smile
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Wed May 20, 2015 1:18 pm

I initially considered borrowing my wife's or son's ipads for the GM app, but they growled at me when I got near.... So, yeah I'm using my laptop Smile
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Fri May 22, 2015 2:42 pm

now that ive had some time to use this VP. do u find that most of the volume level happens at the end of the sweep? the 6180 has some micro switch that i guess evens it out?
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Sun May 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Yes, by default the pedal's sweep is graduated with more happening in the last half, to give you finer control over the first half. It's a personal preference thing. I haven't ever changed mine but I maybe I will, just for the sake of trying it. Maybe I'll like it!
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Sun May 24, 2015 1:21 pm

How would u change it?
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Sat May 30, 2015 11:17 am

It's supposed to be located on the green circuit board, but I just realized that it is missing my 6181 (25K) pedal... I see the spot where it's supposed to be...

But anyway, I believe the 'down' position is the default position, and if you want more volume action in the first half of the pedal travel, you need to flip the switch to the 'up' position.

Does your pedal have the switch?
    mmiddei
    mmiddei

Post by mmiddei Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm

Hey guys,
    Mike here, I'm new to the forum but playing 40+ yrs. have had many amps over the yrs., Mesa Boogie Triaxis preamp being the favorite to date for it's programmability which I got back in 1989.  I've been waiting a long time for someone to come out with a small programmable all in one head like the GM 36.  Mine will be here on 6/1/2015 along with the FSM-432, I feel like a little kid at Christmas.  This forum is wonderful so thanks to all of you fellow tone heads, awesome.  I've learned a ton about this amp from all your great comments/suggestions!

Questions:
    If I'm understanding correctly this amp does not allow us to set min/max for expression pedal controls, it's 0 - dime'd only, is this correct?  Even for Gain or Delay volumes, etc?  If so that's a serious over-site by H&K as every other piece of MIDI gear I've used allows min/max on expression pedals.

I also have an HD500X and as I understand can be used as a MIDI controller for the GM, Line 6 support says you can set min/max for the 2 expression pedals with it so I'm hoping this works and I can return the FSM-432.

Is anyone using a Roland FC-300 to control the GM?  I have one of those as well but it's a pain to program, just wondering if anyone has had success with this controller for the GM?

Thanks so much guys,
    Mike Cool
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Sat May 30, 2015 2:17 pm

Mine does not have the switch. The250k does
    stugotz74

Post by stugotz74 Sat May 30, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that anything made by Roland is not compatible
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:28 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread Smile I lost track of it and didn't see that last few comments till now.

Mike, I think you probably got your answer already, but yeah none of us have been able to get an expression pedal to behave like a conventional volume pedal, for the reasons you stated - the exp pedal wants to control 0-100% of the amp volume - there's not a way to set max volume, unfortunately. I've resorted to using a regular volume pedal in the amp's fx loop.

And on that note... I had been using an Ernie Ball 25K (6181) which seemed fine at first, really nice feel and well made, but the more I used it, the more I realized I didn't care for its taper. Like stugotz74 commented, there's very little volume increase in the first half of the sweep, and then there's a lot of increase in the last half of the sweep. It's a personal preference thing I'm sure, but I don't like it. So I started looking around and I learned about 'audio taper' vs 'linear taper' etc... and I realized I would probably prefer 'linear taper' over 'audio taper' because linear has an even sweep. I shopped and decided on a Boss FV-500L (low impedance), it arrived a couple days ago. So far so good, the taper is definitely better (IMO) than the EB. If you don't have any buffers or active signals prior to your VP then you'll want the FV-500H (high impedance) model. Another contender for me was the Boss FV-30L which is the tiny version (for those with limited space on their boards) but I prefer the large throw of the FV-500, it feels more like a EB.
    normula1

Post by normula1 Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:09 am

You can get it to work IF you have a compliant MIDI controller that will let you set the maximum value for an expression pedal per patch AND you work out what value you need that to be for a given patch and set the expression pedal max value to match.

It is a fudge though and of course as soon as you tweak the preset on the GM36, you need to edit the expression pedal too.

I use a Behringher FCB1010 with the LG-FCB board fitted and can do the above, but in reality what I normally do is have a TC GMajor in the loop and use the volume control in that Smile.

mmiddei
    mmiddei

Post by mmiddei Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:57 pm

Seems that we've all got the volume pedal issue worked out in our own unique ways...

I'm using the volume function of the Line 6 HD500X in the GM loop with 4CM which does allow min/max settings for volume pedal.  All GM MIDI control done with FSM-432, I have the Yamaha FC7 (which is a tank) into control 1 increasing/decreasing gain on GM patch's, and control 2 has an on/off switch to kick in the GM Boost.  This setup has been working great just a pain to carry everything...

Line 6 is releasing the new Helix floorboard which may be able to replace my HD500X and the FSM-432.  I'm hoping to get everything out of one box!
    VoodooJeff
    VoodooJeff

Post by VoodooJeff Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:39 pm

I`ve got the CC controller on my FCB1010 controlling volume and it works exactly how I need it to, just like an inline controller.

Incidentally, I`ve now got a Morley Active Volume pedal for sale. $55 shipped WITH a Morley power supply.

If you want it hit me at voodoojeff@sixstringvoodoo.com
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:53 pm

Mmiddei, it's interesting you don't do midi control with the HD500x. I never tried to get the HD500X expression pedal to control settings on the GM36, but I do use it as a straight volume pedal into the input of the GM36, and the GM36 is very level sensitive - works great.
    I have the HD500x in ABCD mode, so I can add a tube screamer etc to any patch. I don't use 4CM, as the effects in the GM36 are good enough for the southern rock I play. The HD500x does midi control, and input effects
    mmiddei
    mmiddei

Post by mmiddei Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:33 am

Hey Namklak,
    I think you misunderstood, the HD500x expression pedal is not controlling the GM36, it is only doing effects in the loop of the GM36. One of those effects is the Volume pedal in the HD500x, running 4CM allows me to set min/max for HD's volume pedal in the GM loop... That's one of the reasons I'm using 4CM instead of just going into the front of the GM.

I would use the HD as a MIDI controller too but since it can't do Tap Tempo on the GM I'm stuck using the FSM-432 for TT and also to change patches on the GM. I also have a Yamaha FC7 exp. pedal into control 1 of the FSM-432 set to increase the gain on GM patches which works great, especially on the Lead and Ultra channels, allows me to go from a crunch tone to full blown dime'd lead tone just moving the pedal.

Anyway, hope that clears things up...
    Have a great one brother!
    mmiddei
    mmiddei

Post by mmiddei Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:38 am

Oh, I forgot to ask Namklak, you said you use the HD500X for MIDI control, how are you setting the delay tempo on your GM patches?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am