The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+4
SweetPete
bordonbert
Phrasemaker
PaulChina
8 posters

WMI-1 WIRELESS MIDI INTERFACE

Raf0419
    Raf0419

WMI-1 WIRELESS MIDI INTERFACE - Page 2 Empty Re: WMI-1 WIRELESS MIDI INTERFACE

Post by Raf0419 Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:10 pm

Apparently I cant' figure out how to multiquote either...haha

bordonbert wrote: couple of inches above the Canine's Cohones.
    LOL Thanks for that image! I needed a good laugh!

Before emailing H and K last night I had already attempted assigning a static IP within the router to the WMI device. I tried it two ways. First I assigned it a static IP using the last number within the range of my DHCP. Got nothing. Then I assigned it a static IP within the range of my router, but outside of the DHCP range. Still nothing. Both of these were attempted with and without a gateway being assigned.
    With each change I would check the lease list to see if the WMI would show up. Nothing there. And of course I could not Ping the device after each change.

That was when I made the decision to email H and K. I thought one of the above attempts would have worked. If I'm honest, the thing works fine in AP mode, but it would just be nice to keep my iPad connected to the internet while also controlling the amp. It is after all designed to do just this. (Clearly a first world country problem... lol That's why I refuse to let it frustrate me)

On the upside I got a great workout since the device is upstairs and I had to keep coming downstairs to the PC/router tether! bounce
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:46 pm

Advice elsewhere, (can't claim it as original thought), is that it is perfectly feasible to set your WMI up with an address outside of the DHCP range as long as it is on the same subnet. In fact some people say it is preferable. You seem to be pretty tech savvy so apologies if this is a tad insulting but just in case, if your DHCP uses say 128.112.16.0 - 128.112.16.64 then you must use 128.112.16.X for your static address (with X > 64 of course). Keep the first 3 figures of the address the same to stay on the same subnet. If you don't you are effectively defining a second independent network which brings in the idea of Virtual Networks and your router will have to support that concept and be set up correctly to apply it. Otherwise you may need to run twin network adapters, and tablets don't do that as far as I know.

Try setting it up with a correct valid IP based on the above, and with full supporting info, like the Gateway IP, then if it works start removing one bit at a time until you slim it down to only what you want. You could also make sure that any firewall software is told about the range of IP addresses you will need. That may be set up to allow comms between only a restricted IP range and to deny all other IP addresses and a new rule may need to be added for your static address or the existing one may need to be expanded. Sometimes this range may even somehow be less than the full DHCP range and you won't know until DHCP tries to allocate one high up its range, not necessarily a common occurrence.

It's frustrating I know but you may have to prepare yourself to accept that you just may not be able to do this. If that's the case then I reckon it's daft on H&Ks part to set things up this way. When I started out playing with the app I stuck to cabled and made sure to buy a cheap laptop (Chimp brand!) to dedicate to the job. Then I ran into problems with my cheap Chinese MIDI adapter. Then the idea of On The Go cables. Rolling Eyes You won't have that problem at least. You'll get this up and running soon. I know from long experience, network problems like this are a pain until you get it right, sometimes without even knowing why, and then they just evaporate and it works.
    Raf0419
    Raf0419

Post by Raf0419 Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:53 pm

I really appreciate the encouragement, Bordon. Your detailed explanations never fall short and I always seem to learn something from your posts. I didn't explain it well earlier, but I actually did try the subnet approach. Sadly the term subnet was escaping me at the time.

I have pretty much accepted that it may not work, but I enjoy a good puzzle. Truth be told it was getting late last night when I attempted the subnet approach so I'll revisit that approach while I'm thinking more clearly.

My router currently has quite a bit going on. I have another router I may use as a test bed. It would simplify things as I could have everything accessible in a small work space. Of course I could also bring the amp downstairs. Not sure why I didn't think of that last night. By using another router which has a very basic setup and WPS capability I can use WMI simple setup via WPS. After doing so I hope to able to see what the WMI needs with respect to configuration and then apply that to the router I'm want to use.

Your firewall comments are spot on as I didn't consider to evaluate those settings. I'll have to look into that.

I'm optimistic H and K will reply to my email, but from what others have posted I wonder if perhaps a Facebook post would be more efficient. Personally I eschew Facebook so I'll wait a bit before going that route.

I'll post back once I know more.
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:55 am

I'm a new gm40d user, I use the wmi-1 in stand alone mode.

Has anyone encountered issues where the wmi-1 loses signal? The app disconnects and the wmi-1 has a flashing status led? It can right itself and reconnect.

spikey
    spikey

Post by spikey Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:47 pm

There has to be more than one user of this product here. I have a WMI-1 sitting here waiting for mama to arrive so I too, am interested on how you get yours working Raf !
    j200george
    j200george

Post by j200george Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:46 pm

My router is fully up to date (apple time capsule), but think this recommendation on the wmi-1 wifi ssid is to do with the protocol with which the wmi-1 network is generating to allow the app to connect.
    WMI-1 WIRELESS MIDI INTERFACE - Page 2 D5B2381B-A5FA-4577-BE81-447B62EE449A_zpsjwkkyh91
    Anyone else get this? Not sure if this explains my intermittent drop outs where the iPad loses connectivity with the amp.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:27 am