The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+46
Blueglow
AngryBudha
apenney
von haulshoven
Raf0419
ignantios
steve15366
steve_napp
ConradK
WhiskeyMike
KY91C2
HwyStar
MetalAnimal
bordonbert
VoodooJeff
Matty_K
nerrad
Phrasemaker
mm408
Renoabbiati
sidsnot
bish0p34
streuth
klauerman
namklak
Beejee
gravydb
Vertofix
Keithf
TnT
rockandroll00
Jugghaid
Dminister
trb
Egads
3dognate
normula1
kdrl35
Davus PG
SweetPete
Kaipirinha
XploZiveToyz
Rullian
barrymclark
yoMuzicMan
treewiz
50 posters

No New Owners?

namklak
    namklak

No New Owners? - Page 8 Empty Re: No New Owners?

Post by namklak Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:51 am

I modeled for years.  I bought a gutted empty Vox combo as a cab and put in a solid state power amp (Crate PowerBlock) and an Eminence Tonker, and modeled with a GNX-3000.  I left the Vox logo on the the cab.  I played mainly with a singer/songwriter, and people would often tell me my Vox sounded great.  One multi-band gig we did, the guitarist from the next band comes up, tells my my Vox sounded great, looked down and saw the GNX-3000, says "oh" and turned around and walked away. Bwahahahaha bitch!  I loved that system - simple, very reliable, sounded great.  All bands I was in with that system, I was the only lead guitarist.

That being said, I now play (over 3 years now) in a dual lead Allman Brothers Tribute band.  The other guitarist has a real tube amp (MB 5-25).  Did our first gig, listened to a recording, and his amp's dynamic response made my system sound like a toy - and it wasn't subtle.  Some trial and error, ended up with the gm36.  Over a year now, and everybody is happy, including me.    And I'm still turning knobs.  Lately I've been hitting the Clean channel (gain on 10 aka 255) with a tube screamer/EQ/etc, and really digging it.  Very dynamic. I've done probably 30 gigs now with the gm36, and so far my tube amp breakdown fears haven't reared its ugly head (knock on every wood surface I can find).

Okay, well we did a big blues festival at Grand Lake CO and the power source was a generator. None of my digital gear worked (crate powerblock, hd500x, line6 wireless). Grabbed a friend's real tube screamer and plugged straight into the gm - and it worked! My digitally controlled tube amp worked when everything else didn't. Thank you H&K!

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:49 am