The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+46
Blueglow
AngryBudha
apenney
von haulshoven
Raf0419
ignantios
steve15366
steve_napp
ConradK
WhiskeyMike
KY91C2
HwyStar
MetalAnimal
bordonbert
VoodooJeff
Matty_K
nerrad
Phrasemaker
mm408
Renoabbiati
sidsnot
bish0p34
streuth
klauerman
namklak
Beejee
gravydb
Vertofix
Keithf
TnT
rockandroll00
Jugghaid
Dminister
trb
Egads
3dognate
normula1
kdrl35
Davus PG
SweetPete
Kaipirinha
XploZiveToyz
Rullian
barrymclark
yoMuzicMan
treewiz
50 posters

No New Owners?

klauerman
    klauerman

No New Owners? - Page 4 Empty Re: No New Owners?

Post by klauerman Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Congrats TnT!! Glad its working good for you!!

namklak - I think when you buy it the store registers it for you? Can anyone confirm this? Not sure how that would work if you got it from a non-authorized dealer, like on ebay or something....
    streuth
    streuth

Post by streuth Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:46 pm

namklak wrote:Uh, how do I register my amp for warranty in North America, specifically in the USA?

You don't, the warranty has to be supplied by who you bought from. I bought mine from Sweetwater and they have a 3 year warranty (or is it two, can't remember).
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Yes, GC told me they as an authorized dealer give a two year warranty
    bish0p34
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:48 pm

New owner here! The wife bought me one for our anniversary. I got to use it at a gig last night. I couldn't hear the guitar all that well due to the stage layout, but what I heard was great. I'm running it through a Recto 2x12.

I jammed with another band through a Recto 4x12 and it sounded massive, with a nice cut on the top end.

I've got 6 H&K's now. Here's a family pic (with one missing).

No New Owners? - Page 4 1509996_10152856856613759_7219238650220301650_n
    bish0p34
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:51 pm

streuth wrote:
    namklak wrote:Uh, how do I register my amp for warranty in North America, specifically in the USA?

You don't, the warranty has to be supplied by who you bought from. I bought mine from Sweetwater and they have a 3 year warranty (or is it two, can't remember).

According to H&K (via FB...they're great and quick to answer), the US only gets a 2 year warranty through Yorkville.
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:14 am

bish0p34 wrote:New owner here! The wife bought me one for our anniversary. I got to use it at a gig last night. I couldn't hear the guitar all that well due to the stage layout, but what I heard was great. I'm running it through a Recto 2x12.

I jammed with another band through a Recto 4x12 and it sounded massive, with a nice cut on the top end.

I've got 6 H&K's now. Here's a family pic (with one missing).

Nice photo!!!!!

How did you change the LED colors???? I love it!
    bish0p34
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:05 am

I went on eBay and found 12v led light strips. One meter is usually less than five dollars and more than enough. They usually come with leads on just one end. You can easily remove the old lights and splice the 2 pin Molex connector from there onto the new ones. I repair PCs so I have lots of them laying around, and was able to keep my original lights intact. The whole process takes about twenty minutes.
    sidsnot
    sidsnot

Post by sidsnot Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:55 am

I bought a Grandmeister 36 a couple of weeks back and I'm really happy with it.
    I'm very old school when it comes to valve amps and prefer the less is more approach to gig rigs.
    My amp is hooked up to a 2x12 Zilla Fatboy cab loaded with old G12h 30w black back celestions.

There's a couple of niggles that had me scratching my head at gigs, but nothing I couldnt get over.
    The main annoyance was quickly adding a longer atmospheric delay just for one song on the fly and expecting it to go back the saved patch with a very tight short delay, but it didn't much to my bands amusement.
    The amp gets extremely hot, why didn't they put some vents on the lid?
    I'm thinking of buying another lid from H&K and getting some vents milled into the top to improve the airflow.

I swapped out the Chinese valves for some JJ El84's, a JJ 5751 and a couple of old mullards that I had in the drawer and the amp is much warmer now, much less tizzy.
    Does anyone know how to turn off the blue light coz it looks like an advert for The Blue Oyster Club !
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:08 pm

sidsnot wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying another lid from H&K and getting some vents milled into the top to improve the airflow. !
    The lid is theoretically a heat sync.  Okay...  There are reports from users that say they've run this amp for hours, over year(s), and no problems.  I have professionally dealt with solid state (now known as semiconductors) for decades, and heat is the enemy of semiconductor life span.  For practice at home I applied some magnets to these http://www.coolerguys.com/840556095637.html#__utma=89875097.537684326.1422563249.1427737565.1427737574.7&__utmb=89875097.1.10.1427737574&__utmc=89875097&__utmx=-&__utmz=89875097.1427737538.5.3.utmcsr=blu180.mail.live.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmv=89875097.usbtoys&__utmk=224643667  and stick them on the back exhausting heat.
    My gig cab was originally an old combo amp, with vents right under the bottom of where of the GM36 sits.   I have a couple of similar 80mm fans mounted inside the cab pointing up to push heat out of the gm36 - not as effective, but I can put my hand on the amp after a 1 hours set.

sidsnot wrote:
    Does anyone know how to turn off the blue light coz it looks like an advert for The Blue Oyster Club !
    I like the blue light - but fortunately I play in a band called My Blue Sky.

and in an act of shameless self promotion, and for a GM36 sample, I'm the guy without the hat with the SG.  This patch is on the Lead channel, gain at about 20-25% (I don't know exactly, I haven't bought the midi cable yet), bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB, neck is a Pearly Gates. I'm using the GM Reverb and Delay.   I'm using a 1x12 cab with a Tonkerlite, with an active power soak I put together, so the GM master is at noon.  The other guitarist is using a MB Mark V combo.  Fortunately I am out of range of anyone on this thread wanting to throw rotten tomatoes...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nq7J1NoeuM&feature=youtu.be
    bish0p34
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:19 pm

sidsnot wrote:I bought a Grandmeister 36 a couple of weeks back and I'm really happy with it.
    I'm very old school when it comes to valve amps and prefer the less is more approach to gig rigs.
    My amp is hooked up to a 2x12 Zilla Fatboy cab loaded with old G12h 30w black back celestions.

There's a couple of niggles that had me scratching my head at gigs, but nothing I couldnt get over.
    The main annoyance was quickly adding a longer atmospheric delay just for one song on the fly and expecting it to go back the saved patch with a very tight short delay, but it didn't much to my bands amusement.
    I'm thinking of buying another lid from H&K and getting some vents milled into the top to improve the airflow.

I swapped out the Chinese valves for some JJ El84's, a JJ 5751 and a couple of old mullards that I had in the drawer and the amp is much warmer now, much less tizzy.

I like keeping a fan near my Meisters, but I have played a few outdoor gigs last summer in 90+ degree heat with no issues at all. They're made to run hot. If you want your lights off, you can just unplug them. Open the side near the input and look into the chassis. You'll see the wires coming down the side from the lights (held in place by some black gunk) being plugged into the main board with a small white Molex clip. Just pull the clip out, and viola! No more lights. This is the inside of my Triamp. It's not exactly the same, but you can see the wires and clip towards the upper left.

No New Owners? - Page 4 10392414_10152640301733759_734429995500165113_n
    bish0p34
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:19 pm

namklak wrote:
    sidsnot wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying another lid from H&K and getting some vents milled into the top to improve the airflow. !
    The lid is theoretically a heat sync.  Okay...  There are reports from users that say they've run this amp for hours, over year(s), and no problems.  I have professionally dealt with solid state (now known as semiconductors) for decades, and heat is the enemy of semiconductor life span.  For practice at home I applied some magnets to these http://www.coolerguys.com/840556095637.html#__utma=89875097.537684326.1422563249.1427737565.1427737574.7&__utmb=89875097.1.10.1427737574&__utmc=89875097&__utmx=-&__utmz=89875097.1427737538.5.3.utmcsr=blu180.mail.live.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/&__utmv=89875097.usbtoys&__utmk=224643667  and stick them on the back exhausting heat.
    My gig cab was originally an old combo amp, with vents right under the bottom of where of the GM36 sits.   I have a couple of similar 80mm fans mounted inside the cab pointing up to push heat out of the gm36 - not as effective, but I can put my hand on the amp after a 1 hours set.

sidsnot wrote:
    I like the blue light - but fortunately I play in a band called My Blue Sky.

and in an act of shameless self promotion, and for a GM36 sample, I'm the guy without the hat with the SG.  This patch is on the Lead channel, gain at about 20-25% (I don't know exactly, I haven't bought the midi cable yet), bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB, neck is a Pearly Gates. I'm using the GM Reverb and Delay.   I'm using a 1x12 cab with a Tonkerlite, with an active power soak I put together, so the GM master is at noon.  The other guitarist is using a MB Mark V combo.  Fortunately I am out of range of anyone on this thread wanting to throw rotten tomatoes...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nq7J1NoeuM&feature=youtu.be

Great tone, and great playing!
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:40 pm

bish0p34 wrote:
    Great tone, and great playing!

Tone is embarrassingly easy with the GM36, and when I have great tone going in my ears, I find it easier to get the notes out. Thanks! The age-old debate says "tone is in the fingers", but I find I play better thru a good amp vs a bad amp.
    sidsnot
    sidsnot

Post by sidsnot Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:35 pm

Cheers for the help guys
    sidsnot
    sidsnot

Post by sidsnot Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:33 am

I like keeping a fan near my Meisters, but I have played a few outdoor gigs last summer in 90+ degree heat with no issues at all. They're made to run hot. If you want your lights off, you can just unplug them. Open the side near the input and look into the chassis. You'll see the wires coming down the side from the lights (held in place by some black gunk) being plugged into the main board with a small white Molex clip. Just pull the clip out, and viola! No more lights. This is the inside of my Triamp. It's not exactly the same, but you can see the wires and clip towards the upper left.

No New Owners? - Page 4 10392414_10152640301733759_734429995500165113_n
    Thanks for the info, the connector that supplies the led power gives me an idea... 
    I could kill two birds with one stone if there's enough space inside. 
    Once I disconnect the blue LEDs, i could run a small fan off that power connector to exhaust the heat away from the valves 
    Perhaps using magnets to hold it in place temporarily to test proof of concept before making it a permanent
    bish0p34
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:40 am

That might be tough. They're pretty tight in there. You have to run the cables outside to mount it on the chassis. I'm supposed to have someone coming over today to change their lights. If he shows up, I'll take some pics of the inside.

Edit...
    No New Owners? - Page 4 11102640_10152896591393759_4810245428072500320_n
    Renoabbiati

No New Owners? - Page 4 Empty New GM owner

Post by Renoabbiati Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:54 pm

Hi guys. I just bought a Grandmeister with 2 H&K 1x12 cabs. I've been playing a Boogie for years, but the band I play in now covers new pop, old pop, country, disco, 80's rock, and the list goes on. With playing that many different genres of music, I needed something more versatile then my Boogie and a couple of pedals. Is the amp as amazing sounding and as easy to use as it seems?

Thanks for your help,
    Randy
    bish0p34
    bish0p34

Post by bish0p34 Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:17 pm

The short version...yes.

The long version...yes, absolutely.

The only hard thing about using the amp is that I forget to hit the FX editing button all the time wile I'm editing presets and adjust the wrong setting. That's the hardest thing about this amp to use. The sounds are amazing, and top quality. This has become my go to amp, and is worth much more than it costs.
    Keithf

No New Owners? - Page 4 Empty hmm

Post by Keithf Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:47 am

so here's the issue,
    I bought a grandmeister a few months ago, then sold it,
    now regretting selling so I need to find a used one at reasonable money for sale in the uk.
    Can you get in touch if you have one .
    ta
    Keith
    mm408
    mm408

Post by mm408 Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:54 pm

Just bought mine 3 weeks ago, had a Tubemeister 18 and that experience was solid so I went for more flexibility with the Grandmeister. Excellent so far wonderful clean (with higher gain settings), very versatile with the Crunch and Lead settings. Only use the Ultra for background distortion as low volumes. Works well for that. Have the iPad app which is working well to get the presets tweaked and renamed.

Loving it!
    Phrasemaker
    Phrasemaker

No New Owners? - Page 4 Empty New owner

Post by Phrasemaker Sun May 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi Folks,

Just bought one after researching it for a while. I've had it just over a week and am pleased with it. If were not the fact that I play a few different guitars the four channels once set would probably cover most of what I need tone-wise. That's why I bought it, so as to just plug in a guitar and connect a cabinet and have what I need. Having already owned two Tubemeisters for a couple of years I have faith in the products, hence this purchase. I'm going to invest in the foot switch so I can set up a number of channels for my regular guitars and that'll pretty much do. I will at some point get it hooked up to an Android device but that's not urgent for now. I have been reading here for a few days and would like to offer thanks for some great tips I've already taken on board. I'll jump right in when I have something to contribute or need advice.

All the best

Tim
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Wed May 27, 2015 10:23 am

Welcome Tim! With 128 memory locations, you should have enough for many guitars. Also, don't hesitate to use a tube screamer or overdrive on the front if your GM36.
    Phrasemaker
    Phrasemaker

Post by Phrasemaker Wed May 27, 2015 4:03 pm

namKlack, thanks for the welcome, appreciated. I'll certainly have a go with a tube screamer at the weekend. I'll get the foot-switch next week and get some presets done for various instruments, yes I think 128 should about cover it. I've been a little preoccupied with the amp for a couple of days having plugged in my seven string with actives, can't wait to get in the studio with that combination. I play a whole range of genres mostly my own stuff, the tones using the seven string with low down power chords and few hammered on additional notes is something else through the lead and ultra channels. Many thanks...
    nerrad
    nerrad

No New Owners? - Page 4 Empty GM36 with Marshall

Post by nerrad Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Newbie to site.
    Recently nabbed a GM36 with the foot pedal for $959 used... they had it labeled as a Tube Meister at gc.
    GREAT sounding amp! Surprised too that the Marshall 2x12 with the seventy 80s sound so good, better with the band than at home. At home it was too much mids and almost took the cab back but took it to see what it would do live and it is a keeper! When I recover from the bleeding I might change out the speakers but for now I'm happy!
    Cheers!
    namklak
    namklak

Post by namklak Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:30 am

Rarely when playing leads in a rock band do you have "too much mids". I play in a dual lead band, and I always think my partners tone is too bright, until I hear the gig recordings... he cut through better - then I tweaked.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:03 am

^ What he said! (Phew, it's not just me). Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:52 pm