The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

+46
Blueglow
AngryBudha
apenney
von haulshoven
Raf0419
ignantios
steve15366
steve_napp
ConradK
WhiskeyMike
KY91C2
HwyStar
MetalAnimal
bordonbert
VoodooJeff
Matty_K
nerrad
Phrasemaker
mm408
Renoabbiati
sidsnot
bish0p34
streuth
klauerman
namklak
Beejee
gravydb
Vertofix
Keithf
TnT
rockandroll00
Jugghaid
Dminister
trb
Egads
3dognate
normula1
kdrl35
Davus PG
SweetPete
Kaipirinha
XploZiveToyz
Rullian
barrymclark
yoMuzicMan
treewiz
50 posters

No New Owners?

Egads
    Egads

No New Owners? - Page 2 Empty Re: No New Owners?

Post by Egads Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:45 am

gravydb wrote:Thanks E! I see in your avatar you are a fellow PRS lover? Nice!

I've only had my GM for about a week, so I'm still very much on the learning curve. The actual interface is a piece of cake of course, but it's the exp pedal behavior that is getting the best of me! Ha! I'll update my progress on the volume pedal thread. I have a Yamaha FC-7 inbound, as well as a Moog EP-3. The Moog has a knob on the side that controls the maximum range, so I'm holding onto hope that it might solve the problem? We shall see...

And I will probably do the same as you eventually, add a on/off footswitch for the boost. I like that idea. What kind do you use?

I have never been one to hang out in forums, but the current PRS forum is a great community, with lots of great info and people. I'm online over there several times a week. It's definitely a problem with the GAS creation, though.

This GM forum that HwyStar started is young, but growing. Everyone here is positive and helpful, which is nice as we all struggle to learn everything we can about these amps!

I've got one of the smaller single button Mesa switches for the Boost on/off. It's basically this with a slightly different graphic:
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/Rectoverb_25/p7lsm_img_1/fullsize/rectoverb25-footswitch-lg.jpg

I have a Source Audio controller that has two separate inputs and a range control. I was very excited at the thought of controlling two different functions with it. Unfortunately, it didn't work well with the GM. I could control the full range of the volume knob...in about three degrees of motion on the controller (with about 45 degrees of total range on the controller). Basically, it was 0-20 degress = no change, 21-24 degrees = zero to full and back down to zero, 35-45 = no change.

At least the Yamaha's range of motion covers the range of the knob (except, mine is never truly silent). With gain, there is also the issue of hearing the signal move through the resistor grid associated with the knob.

gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:23 am

HwyStar wrote:Hi there GravydB!

It's a small world.  My wife and I used to own a house on Gun Club Road in Bethlehem/Nazareth about four years ago.  We loved living in Bethlehem.  Great town.

Welcome to the forum.  It has only been around for a few months. That's why you just found it.
    Thanks man! We're originally from the Philly burbs but my wife and I moved to the Lehigh Valley about 14 yrs ago and we love it.

Egads wrote:
    gravydb wrote:Thanks E! I see in your avatar you are a fellow PRS lover? Nice!

I've only had my GM for about a week, so I'm still very much on the learning curve. The actual interface is a piece of cake of course, but it's the exp pedal behavior that is getting the best of me! Ha! I'll update my progress on the volume pedal thread. I have a Yamaha FC-7 inbound, as well as a Moog EP-3. The Moog has a knob on the side that controls the maximum range, so I'm holding onto hope that it might solve the problem? We shall see...

And I will probably do the same as you eventually, add a on/off footswitch for the boost. I like that idea. What kind do you use?

I have never been one to hang out in forums, but the current PRS forum is a great community, with lots of great info and people. I'm online over there several times a week. It's definitely a problem with the GAS creation, though.

This GM forum that HwyStar started is young, but growing. Everyone here is positive and helpful, which is nice as we all struggle to learn everything we can about these amps!

I've got one of the smaller single button Mesa switches for the Boost on/off. It's basically this with a slightly different graphic:
    I have a Source Audio controller that has two separate inputs and a range control. I was very excited at the thought of controlling two different functions with it. Unfortunately, it didn't work well with the GM. I could control the full range of the volume knob...in about three degrees of motion on the controller (with about 45 degrees of total range on the controller). Basically, it was 0-20 degress = no change, 21-24 degrees = zero to full and back down to zero, 35-45 = no change.

At least the Yamaha's range of motion covers the range of the knob (except, mine is never truly silent). With gain, there is also the issue of hearing the signal move through the resistor grid associated with the knob.

I frequent the PRS forums too! (the "unofficial" one: prsforums.com). Is that the one you visit? Or do you go to the official one?

The more I read about exp pedals and the GM, the more disheartened I become! If I can't get the pedal to behave the way I want it to, I'm gonna have a big decision on my hands... because in order to keep the GM36 I'll have to get a regular volume pedal which will throw a surprisingly big wrench into how I prefer to have my gear set up. Or.... the other option is to ditch the GM and get the TM36, keeping my G-System... but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
    Egads
    Egads

Post by Egads Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:35 am

I've spent a little time that one, but not a ton. I do hang out in the official forum (prsguitars.com/forum). There's a lot of overlap between the two.

I, too, was hoping to do away with my effects setup (all pedals, in my case), but have found I'm not going to be able to do that. I'll put together a little board with a volume/wah combo, a tuner, a Jetter Jetdrive, the boost footswitch, and the DI for the piezo output. The good news is that if the amp goes down, I can get through any gig with that little board.

I will say this: I like the tone stack of the GM way more than I did the TM. There was a sterility to the TM that I just couldn't get over. The GM has more feel and harmonic content to my ears.
    trb

Post by trb Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:41 am

hi all
    new GM36 owner here.
    Great amp ! I had some other amp: an 15W Wem, a Fender clean 40W, a Diezel Einstein head with 1*12 and 2*12 cabs (see my posts for cabs & tubes). I have too an Axe Fx2.

I'm very pleased with the tone quality, dynamic and versatility of the 4 channels.
    Just have to find the right cab to fit the amp quality...
    AN dvery pleaded to find a forum of GM36 users: hope it will live for a long time !
     cheers 
    kdrl35

Post by kdrl35 Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm a proud owner of the gm36 . Got mine when they first hit canada . Still in love with it. Had the tm18 but the gm took my eye.
    Egads
    Egads

Post by Egads Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Welcome trb and kdrl35. Great to have new people joining the conversation.

It looks like the Tubemeister to GM is a common path. I never spent too much time with the TM (only played the 5 once and the 18 a couple times). I just never jived with them. They didn't seem to have any sparkle. Now that I've played the GM for a few months and through a bunch of cabs, I realize I was probably unfair to the TM series. The controls are very interactive and cover such a huge range that trying to dial in a sound I liked in fifteen minutes was naive.

kdrl35, what cab(s) and speaker(s) are you running? I am really shocked at the amp's sensitivity to cabs/speakers. No matter the amount of tweaking, I would have never bought the amp had I only heard it through some combinations. Through others, it easily competes with much higher priced, less feature rich amps.
    kdrl35

Post by kdrl35 Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Egads wrote:Welcome trb and kdrl35. Great to have new people joining the conversation.

It looks like the Tubemeister to GM is a common path. I never spent too much time with the TM (only played the 5 once and the 18 a couple times). I just never jived with them. They didn't seem to have any sparkle. Now that I've played the GM for a few months and through a bunch of cabs, I realize I was probably unfair to the TM series. The controls are very interactive and cover such a huge range that trying to dial in a sound I liked in fifteen minutes was naive.

kdrl35, what cab(s) and speaker(s) are you running? I am really shocked at the amp's sensitivity to cabs/speakers. No matter the amount of tweaking, I would have never bought the amp had I only heard it through some combinations. Through others, it easily competes with much higher priced, less feature rich amps.

I'm using two cabinets and 5 guitars lol. Prs mostly

A Saxon (custom made solid birch) 212 with Eminenece Texas heat and swamp thang .

A marshall 1960A 412 with celestion g-175 .

I play a lot of metal and today I used my marshall cabinet formthemfirst time with the gm. Really liked the gm through it. I need versatitility though because I like to play some jazz , blues and a little hard rock.
    Egads
    Egads

Post by Egads Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Cool cabs. I wished I played big enough venues to justify a 4x12 (and someone to haul it). I haven't gigged with even a 2x12 in years. Too much weight and stage volume for my 42 year-old ears. Smile

What PRS are you using? My main gigging guitars are an SC HB II, a 513, and a P22 as a backup to the SC HB II.
    kdrl35

Post by kdrl35 Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Egads wrote:Cool cabs. I wished I played big enough venues to justify a 4x12 (and someone to haul it). I haven't gigged with even a 2x12 in years. Too much weight and stage volume for my 42 year-old ears. Smile

What PRS are you using? My main gigging guitars are an SC HB II, a 513, and a P22 as a backup to the SC HB II.

I'm 42 too lol

Have a DGT, custom 24 10 top, S2 custom 24 with emg James hetfeild pu and a prs se clint Lowrey . I also have an ibanez sir70fd but that's on the chopping block lol

Egads , I do believe you're on the prs forums too lol
    Egads
    Egads

Post by Egads Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:51 pm

I love the DGT. It's a rocking guitar.

Yep, I am Egads on that forum. What's yours?
    kdrl35

Post by kdrl35 Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:14 pm

Sleary over at prs
    Egads
    Egads

Post by Egads Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:58 pm

Small world.  Laughing 
    kdrl35

Post by kdrl35 Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:19 am

It is lol
    trb

Post by trb Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:23 am

Hi Edags

Thanks.
    I'm an old 49 rocker ...but always take great pleasure with all these guitar toys !

Really pleased after almost 2 weeks of practice, still of course on the learing curve. I do appreciate the full range usability on all knobs. We can get so much tones from that GM. A great amp and a great buy for me, as my AxeFX is. I'm play through the GM with 4 guitars: LP (Agile 3100), start with active PUs (Lag Jet 1000), a ES335 like (Hagstrom viking deluxe), an SG (Custom 77). On all these guitars I swapped the electronics and PUs for very good ones and have great sounds out there.
    Just need some news fingers !
    kdrl35

Post by kdrl35 Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:08 pm

I've had my gm36 since April and I'm still learning. I don't look at other amps much anymore. Yes I'm guilty of checking out a prs archon but the gm serves me extremely well. Only one tiny thing bugs me about it.....more speaker choices on the back instead of only one jack.
    Egads
    Egads

Post by Egads Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:19 pm

kdrl35 wrote:I've had my gm36 since April and I'm still learning. I don't look at other amps much anymore. Yes I'm guilty of checking out a prs archon but the gm serves me extremely well. Only one tiny thing bugs me about it.....more speaker choices on the back instead of only one jack.

I hear you! An option for 4 Ohms would be good, too. I have several cabs at 8 Ohms, but I'd have to rewire one to have a series out to stack two together.

The Archon is really tempting, isn't it? I've sworn off 50-100 watts amps, so I'm a little safe from temptation right now. I did see a green tolex/green fascia Archon and cab at the factory a month or so ago. So cool. It would go so well with my Jade SC HB II.  cheers 
    normula1

No New Owners? - Page 2 Empty Got mine last Saturday

Post by normula1 Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:43 am

Got my GM36 last Saturday with the TM212 which sounded much better than the 112, plus I really missed not having a 2*12 Smile

I love the flexibility and the tones esp. the crunch channel which is fantastic and cleans up nicely by reducing the volume on my guitar. I'm not sure about the lead channel yet.

One small annoyance, and I can see why they did it this way, the on-board FX are post FX loop, which is a real bummer when running my ditto looper. Quite often I loop a rhythm part on the ditto and noodle over the top of it.
    It's not a deal breaker as I'll be keeping my TC GMajor running for FX as I much prefer the tone.
    gravydb
    gravydb

Post by gravydb Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:55 am

normula1 wrote:Got my GM36 last Saturday with the TM212 which sounded much better than the 112, plus I really missed not having a 2*12 Smile

I love the flexibility and the tones esp. the crunch channel which is fantastic and cleans up nicely by reducing the volume on my guitar. I'm not sure about the lead channel yet.

One small annoyance, and I can see why they did it this way, the on-board FX are post FX loop, which is a real bummer when running my ditto looper. Quite often I loop a rhythm part on the ditto and noodle over the top of it.
    It's not a deal breaker as I'll be keeping my TC GMajor running for FX as I much prefer the tone.
    I'm a 2x12 guy myself. My first foray into the world of H&K was a couple yrs ago with a TM18 and a TM112 cab. It sounded really good, but I prefer the complexity of multiple spkrs. While I was waiting for them to release the TM212, I snagged a CC212 at a great price and I'm really happy with it. And then a couple months ago I upgraded the TM18 to a GM36, and now I'm REALLY happy Smile

I hear ya about the FX loop location... there are pros/cons either way... it happens to work out great for me because I have a volume pedal in the loop (so that it only affects volume, not volume and gain)... and since the loop is before the built-in fx, the VP doesn't cut off the fx tails (delay repeats, reverb).

Good luck and have fun with the new rig!
    trb

Post by trb Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:00 am

nw with my tube changes I love the tone through the 2*12 (TTcab Eminence Wizard & Gov) and 1*12 (Palmer Eminence C.Rex).
    I play with the band with the 1*12 and that's great.

No pb for me about the fx loop position as I use the built in FX (quiet good, no complain) with band, and at home the MXR 108& Carbon copy in the  loop.
    kdrl35

Post by kdrl35 Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:07 am

I like either a 2x12 or use my 4x12 ,either way I love the amp. I'm actually thinking about a tube swap just to see how much more I'd like it. The effects are great and I like having minimal pedals around. All I have on the floor now is my fml32 , wah pedal, polytune tuner and line 6 g50 wireless system.

When I had the tm18 , I had a pedal board lol
    kdrl35

Post by kdrl35 Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:14 pm

I took care of my cabinet problem. I ordered a mesa boogie parallel box today. I have two 16 ohms cabs and the box will run both off the gm36 . Under a $100 too so do able.
    3dognate

Post by 3dognate Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:36 am

I've had my GM for a couple of months and love it.
    streuth
    streuth

Post by streuth Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:15 pm

New owner. I just got the GM36 and foot pedal. I also own the Tubemeister 18 1x10 combo (bought 8 months ago). I got the 18 because I was going to Taiwan for 6 months and wanted something really portable to take on buses and subway. I love the 18, it has a really nice clean and a beautiful overdrive. So when I got back I bought the 36 (but keeping the 18). I've had the GM for two days and really diggin it. The one thing about the 18 is it doesn't have enough head room on the clean channel (play blues mostly) so the 36 gives me all the head I should need plus all the other amazing features.

I also have a boogie TA-30 which I also love but probably have to sell to pay for the GM (which says a lot about how the GM sounds, I've been AB'ing them, especially to compare the voxish channel on the TA-30 with the GM's clean channel).

Anyway just thought I say hi to all my fellow grandmeister and tubemesiter owners.

Cheers
    streuth
    streuth

Post by streuth Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:17 pm

Forgot to mention I bought the H&K 1x12 cab as well. Going to compare through that and boogie speaker today.
    treewiz
    treewiz

No New Owners? - Page 2 Empty Lov'n Mine!

Post by treewiz Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:25 pm

I have had mine since April 3rd 2014 and have rehearsed and gigged with it and this is a really great amp with so many needed features. Between my Ax-Fx II, Mustang III V2; I am not really interested in any other gear (other than a Friedman BE100 which I can't afford) that I desire. Well perhaps another, I thought about a Boss GT100 or a Line 6 HD500x for controlling the Grandmeister via midi and putting it over the top with extra effects and pre-amps.

Last edited by treewiz on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more imfo)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:06 am