The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

GM Deluxe 40 Midi Question

AbelSoto
    AbelSoto

GM Deluxe 40 Midi Question Empty GM Deluxe 40 Midi Question

Post by AbelSoto Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Hello everyone

I've been a lurker for some time, but finally decided to join.

I recently replaced my TM36 with a GM Deluxe 40 and I want to be able to use it at is fullest with the iPad app, but I don't really want to buy the expensive wireless adapter, so I'm looking for alternatives.

I currently have this Midi to USB Cable:

GM Deluxe 40 Midi Question 2018-010

I was considering to buy a USB Female to Lightning Adapter to use in conjunction with the Midi to USB cable. Will I be able to get communication between the amp and the iPad in order to use the app this way?

GM Deluxe 40 Midi Question 2018-011

Or would I be better off with something like the iConnectMidi1?

GM Deluxe 40 Midi Question 2018-012

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by abel.soto on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

GM Deluxe 40 Midi Question Empty Re: GM Deluxe 40 Midi Question

Post by bordonbert Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:20 am

Hi Abel, good to see you taking part at last. Welcome to the forum.

The top Chinese one won't work!  I started with one of those too with the thought that it could be very basic as there was no real requirement for anything complex or highbrow.  I was wrong.  The control apps use a part of MIDI called Sysex transfer.  This is short for "System Exclusive" and means that the usual data packets are replaced with specific ones tailored to the needs of the specific system the programmer is writing them into.  This leads to longer data blocks than is normal and that means you need larger data buffers in the hardware.  Those Chinese types are fine for absolute bog standard MIDI data but don't have the large buffers needed for ours.

I'll let someone else advise about the iPad interface as I'm not an iFan myself and don't have first hand iDiocy experience ( Wink ) but I reckon the iConnectMidi1 should be fine.  This is from a review on Amazon I just found, it seems to confirm what we need to know:
    Amazon Review wrote:Bought to upgrade the firmware on a Mooer Ocean Machine after the first interface I got fell over every time it was used. This worked perfectly, first time. Cheaper interfaces can't cope with SysEx dumps, but this one can.

Rock On Humble Pie
    AbelSoto
    AbelSoto

Post by AbelSoto Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 am

Hey! thanks a lot for your answer. I bought the iMidiConnect a couple of days ago since I found one new at a good price on eBay. I'm glad I went that path since buying the adapter for the cheap USB/Midi cable would have been a waste of money.

Regards

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:18 pm