The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

Looper Setup

Benny
    Benny

Looper Setup Empty Looper Setup

Post by Benny Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:26 am

I bought a Boss RC 500, not sure where to plug it into the GM40. Do I connect it through the FX Loop or Guitar - Looper - Amp. Apologies for the stupid question, I had a very basic Cube AMP with a Ditto and used to connect it Guitar-Looper-Amp.
    I don't have other Pedals, with the exception Polytuner connected to Line Out. I also have the FSM-432 (not sure this has a bearing on my question). I want to be able to use the GM40's effects. Any help would be appreciated.

bordonbert
    bordonbert

Looper Setup Empty Re: Looper Setup

Post by bordonbert Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:14 pm

Hi Benny.

Assuming that the GM40D has the same basic layout as the GM36 which has been proven to be pretty much so so far, I think the answer is that, where it comes down to just the general principle of the internal effects, then it makes no difference.  The internal effects are applied after the Amp Loop so they would be applied to both your live playing and your recorded loop whether you work [Guitar] -> [Looper] -> [Amp Input] or [Amp Loop Send] -> [Looper] -> [Amp Loop Return].

If you put the looper in the Amp Effects Loop then the recorded signal will be altered by the preamp at recording time.  Later it will be added into the signal in the same state as when it was recorded and it then goes on down the signal path without any further alteration by the preamp at all other than Resonance and Presence which are applied after the Modulation effects but before the Reverb.  This way you can record the loop with the amp in one setup and playback with the amp with a totally different voicing without that being imposed on the loop too.  If the looper is before the amp you will record a pure guitar signal then pass that into the preamp for processing along with the later live guitar both in their raw guitar form.  Both will then be altered by the amp preamp settings together and hence in exactly the same way.

My own background kind of makes me lean towards believing the "in the loop" solution will turn out better from the point of view of flexibility but hey, I have been known to be wrong before.  As to the difference in tonal quality this choice might make you hear, I think that one is a case of try it and see.  I know these things make for very partisan discussions.  I have absolutely no preference as I am not a heavy effects type of player.  I have used the internal effects in my GM36 of course but they are just occasional oddities to me and I'm not at all precious about having to have the latest hot pedal to accurately simulate the Abbey Road Studios 1950s analogue plate reverb.  I just turn on the internal one and I'm happy.  Taking my unfussy uninformed nature into account you can guess I wouldn't know which may sound better to you or why.  Others may have good reasons for believing one to be better than the other, I'm sure they can quote benefits for both in specific situations.  Bet you there will definitely be people who will conflictingly prefer each one over the other.

One tip!  Read this post I put in.  It is very relevant to your current question.  Understanding and using the H&K input buffer  If you hit the amp front end too hard with your looper signal you will be effectively putting it through a Tubescreamer type of pedal without even realising.  Both looper and live guitar together might sound very rough.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Benny
    Benny

Post by Benny Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:07 am

Bordenbart, thank you for taking the time to answer another one of my questions. I like you do not use many pedals. Looper, Tuner and Expression. I'll do as you suggest and experiment with connectivity through the FX Loop and straight in - I'll report back... The article on the Buffer is interesting and useful to know (some of it went over my Head)! Again thank you.

bordonbert likes this post

Robsco
    Robsco

Post by Robsco Sat May 08, 2021 7:42 am

I added my Ditto looper in the effects loop, and use the footswitch in stompbox mode, so I can record Clean, then play over the top using Crunch, or Lead, etc.

I don't use any modulation, so this setup works for me, since that gets added to both the loop, and your lead playing.

I don't think you can really use the presets with the looper, sensibly, for that reason.

bordonbert likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:49 pm