The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

GM36 Remote App disconnects while running in background.

dps2

GM36 Remote App disconnects while running in background. Empty GM36 Remote App disconnects while running in background.

Post by dps2 Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:08 pm

I have a question regarding the GM36 Remote App. (BTW – It is an awesome system)

I have the iPad connected to the Grandmeister36 using the iRig midi interface as shown in the video (hughes-and-kettner.com/new-grandmeister-36-ipad-app)

One of the ways that I like to practice is by connecting the iPad to a stereo and play along with mp3 backing tracks. I have experienced a problem switching between the mp3 player (or any other app on the iPad) and gm36 remote on the iPad. While GM36 Remote runs in the background and the mp3 player is in foreground, the GM36 Remote disconnects from the amplifier after about one minute. The only way that I have found to re-establish connection with the amp is to unplug the iRig midi interface and then plug it back in. NOTE: If I switch back to GM36 in less than one minute, it does NOT disconnect from the amplifier.

Is there a way to maintain the GM36 remote connection to the amplifier while in background mode? Or, is there at least a cleaner method of re-establishing connection without unplugging (re-seating) the iRig midi interface?

I think that the ability to freely switch between apps on the iPad would be helpful for others that want to multi-task the iPad for song lyrics, or any other use.
    dps2

GM36 Remote App disconnects while running in background. Empty Re: GM36 Remote App disconnects while running in background.

Post by dps2 Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Acting on a tip from H&K I tried several settings in the iRig midi recorder app without success.  However, I download "SampleTank Free". That app has a setting switch called "Background Audio" which maintains the iRig connection while the app is in background mode. This also keeps the connection for GM36 Remote alive while in background. Yahoo! We got fun now!

I submitted a support ticket with IK-Multimedia to find out if there is some other preferred method of maintaining the iRig connection while GM36 Remote is in background.  I will post any addition information which I receive from IK-Multimedia support in this forum.
    dps2

GM36 Remote App disconnects while running in background. Empty Response from IK Multimedia

Post by dps2 Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:35 am

Support at IK Multimedia says :
    "At the moment we do not have any recommendations on using the GM36 remote with iRig MIDI. The sound loss between the app and your iPad may have something to do with the app being used.
    For any questions on optimizing for the GM36 app, please contact the app developers."

What do you think H&K?  Could there be GM36 Remote app V1.0.2 with a setting to keep the app active in background.  Maybe IK Multimedia can supply you with the necessary code snippet.
    Egads
    Egads

GM36 Remote App disconnects while running in background. Empty Re: GM36 Remote App disconnects while running in background.

Post by Egads Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:57 pm

That's cool. I'll check out the app. I have the same problem switching between song/set lists and the GM app. Glad to hear about a possible fix.
    dps2

Post by dps2 Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi Egads,

I am sure that the work-around will work for you.  I am using IOS 7.12 on an iPad 2.  Instructions follow:

1.  Install "Sampletank Free" on your iPad
    2.  Start Sampletank and go to Menu and then Settings - make sure that setting switch called "Background Audio" is set to "ON".
    3.  No third step required :-)

You should be good to go.  Just remember to start Sampletank before GM36 Remote.  You can use iPad gestures or double tap the home button to switch between apps.  I have been able to leave GM36 in the background for hours and it instantly reconnects when I switch back.

If for any reason this work-around does not work for you then I would be interested to know.

I am trying to encourage H&K to modify GM36 code to support background mode for exactly the reason that you mention.  I believe that many H&K Grandmeister customers would also benefit from the ability to multi-task with GM36 Remote and it would enhance an already GREAT product.  If you agree, please let H&K know.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:35 pm