The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Cab for TubeMeister 20

Dangercow
    Dangercow

Cab for TubeMeister 20 Empty Cab for TubeMeister 20

Post by Dangercow Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:43 pm

I am new to guitar, and am looking to get a 2x12 cab for my TM20; does anyone have experience with a TubeMeister into the Orange 2x12 with Celestion V30's?

I'm leaning towards the Orange strictly for aesthetic reasons, but am concerned that it may not be the best match for a H&K head?  I heard that the H&K Celestion V30's may be voiced for their own head tone?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Cab for TubeMeister 20 Empty Re: Cab for TubeMeister 20

Post by bordonbert Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:40 am

Hi Dangercow.

Yes, H&K have confirmed to me that the V30 that they use is specially voiced for them by Celestion so how close it is to a stock version is really anybody's guess.  And the design of their own 2x12 is a bit of a mystery.  It seems to be vented with no real need for it.  That said, it is one of the best sounding cabs to use with H&K gear in my opinion.  I have used my GM36 with V30s and my own feeling on that combo is that I wouldn't put them in the same room together.  The V30 emphasised the GM36's top end edge and turned it to shrillness and gave it a nasally quality which I didn't like at all.  And the tone controls proved to have very little ability to dial any of that out.  That said, I play 60s/70s classic rock and the GM36 is not good for that genre anyway, so someone playing more modern stuff may very well like the edge that the V30 gives.  We have had people say that they personally liked the combination.  If you are a high gain player then it may suit, if you are an oldie like me it probably won't.

I now use a pair of modern 16ohm G12M Greenbacks or a pair of late 1960s 16ohm G12Hs which are both much more laid back and less in your face.  I have an old 60s Marshall 4x12 which I have divided internally into two 2x12s, (completely reversible), and have fitted a new handle with switching built in so I can run it with options.  I can set it up as either of the 2x12 pairs at 8ohm, all 4 series/parallel at 16ohm, or all 4 in parallel at 4ohm.  To be honest, there's not too much between these options other than power handling and loudness.  The tone is pretty much the same barring break up levels no matter what I choose.  I'm really not into tonal cork sniffing as I'm only interested in playing with other musicians in a live band situation  (...but others are toneoisseurs and may swear it is night and day!)

Rock On Humble Pie
    Dangercow
    Dangercow

Post by Dangercow Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks a ton for the reply, I really appreciate that.  

Sooo, you personally would avoid the Orange in favour of the H&K 2x12? I am familiar with the Greenbacks, and think them to be an interesting option some day.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:33 am

I wouldn't avoid the Orange DC but I wouldn't lay out any cash without seriously auditioning it. And that would mean outside of a shop situation if I can. I would want to be sure that I'm not getting any of that strident top end that I am wary of. How often have you heard of people trying out gear in a shop and loving what they hear, then buying it but when they get it home finding it is a letdown? There's a reason for that.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Dangercow
    Dangercow

Post by Dangercow Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:47 am

Ya I was thinking of that just yesterday as I was playing guitar in my long and narrow "man-cave" - how much different any speaker would sound in an airy music store?

Unfortunately I live in northern Canada where music stores are few and far between, hence my questions. On top of that I don't personally know any guitar players, so gear isn't around me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:12 am