The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

4 posters

FX an Power Soak behaviour

AWieneke

FX an Power Soak behaviour Empty FX an Power Soak behaviour

Post by AWieneke Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:28 am

Hi,

I like the GandMeister a lot, but there are two things where I'm in doubt if that's ok.

a) Ext FX Loop.
    You need to store the status of the ext. FX loop with every single preset. That would just be just annoying, as long as the loop would work without a device attached to the jacks. But if the loop is on and there is no device attached to the jacks the amp remains silent. Is that the intended behaviour?

b) Power soak and speaker off
    This as well needs to be stored with every single preset. I mean what is that for? I play in a tiny club an what to just reduce the amps volume for just that gig. Then I need to store lets say 20 additional presets just with the power soak set to Off, or 5W, really??

Andreas
    namklak
    namklak

FX an Power Soak behaviour Empty Re: FX an Power Soak behaviour

Post by namklak Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:20 pm

I use the power soak live per preset for two things (neither are using the actual power soak):
    1) Many of my non-lead patches are at 18W
    2) most of my lead patches are at 36W - I like lots of head room so I can use pick dynamics...
    3) One lead patch is at 18W, saturate the heck out of the whole amp by matching the 36W volume with just two tubes.

Note I am using an external active power soak, so I have the Master up half way, which for the tubes I'm using seems to saturate nicely.  Likely most are not doing this, so many would consider using the 1W and 5W modes so that the Master can be cranked while achieving low volumes.

I've seen yt vids of guys getting pretty nice lead tones on the 5W mode...
    Egads
    Egads

Post by Egads Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:05 pm

I haven't used the loop, so I cannot comment on that.

For the power settings, yes that is associated to the patch. As mentioned above, this allows you have different output power based on the patch--i.e. 36 watts for cleans, 18 watts (or less) for dirty.

I saved a series of patches at 18 watts and at 36 watts. You could do the same for 5 watts or silent. I appreciate how well the master volume works on this amp, and haven't used the 5 watt setting at all.
    normula1

Post by normula1 Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:12 am

The loop setting works the same on my amp and has fooled me several times when my processor is powered off Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 pm