The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

3 posters

USB Midi adapters to use

GuitargutsMD
    GuitargutsMD

USB Midi adapters to use Empty USB Midi adapters to use

Post by GuitargutsMD Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:36 pm

Can any one tell me if they are using a USB to Midi Adapter with the GM40D and if so, which ones work with the desktop software?
    I just got the GM40D on Friday afternoon, along with the WMI-1 and FSM432MKIII. I've got the ipad app running and I"m fresh out of the gate newbie with
    all this. For decades my amp set up was straight forward. Guitar, to Analog pedals, to Mesa Rectifiers. Trying to downsize my setup for live use and saw
    Dave and Devin from DTP using these and they sounded amazing. That's what made me jump in.

Cheers!
    USB Midi adapters to use Gm40d-10
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

USB Midi adapters to use Empty Re: USB Midi adapters to use

Post by bordonbert Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:07 pm

Most USB/MIDI devices will work with the exception of anything cheap and cheerful from China.  The key thing is to check that the device supports SYSEX data transfer.  This stands for System Exclusive and shows that the particular software which is driving the setup needs to swap larger chunks of data in one fell swoop than the usual MIDI standard dictates.  The hardware devices must have buffers large enough to hold that much data while it is processed internally.  Those cheap Chinese interfaces do not have enough buffer memory to cope with our needs, most decent types which specify they are SYSEX compliant do.

I would suggest that you pick out a device or two in your price range and ask back in this thread if they will be ok.  The guys in the know, (I'm just an engineering type who knows some of the background theory rather than the models themselves), will let you know if they will work, and you might even find someone who actually uses one of them.

I use the MIDI side of a Lexicon Lambda audio interface myself, and I do have a cheap Chinese interface which I bought when I thought it would do the job and couldn't believe the price could be that good! Very Happy

Rock On Humble Pie
    Hendock
    Hendock

Post by Hendock Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 am

I've got his one and it works well:

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Midisport-Portable-Interface-connection/dp/B00007JRBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1508135087&sr=1-1&keywords=M-Audio+USB+Uno

But the solution with the WMI-1 and the iPad should do, doesn't it? Why using another application?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 am

Absolutely missed that one Hendock, you're completely right. (My only defence is that it was really late night early hours stuff. Sleep ) If you have the WM-1 set up correctly at the amp end then you just connect to the network it creates wirelessly on the iPad. Are you not able to do that GGMD or did you just not completely understand the job the WM-1 does.

I have to admit I'm not really a wireless fan and I have never used a WM-1 but I can tell you there are cheaper viable alternatives which anyone considering this could look into and compare before paying H&K prices.

Rock On Humble Pie
    GuitargutsMD
    GuitargutsMD

Post by GuitargutsMD Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:00 pm

Hendock wrote:I've got his one and it works well:

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Midisport-Portable-Interface-connection/dp/B00007JRBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1508135087&sr=1-1&keywords=M-Audio+USB+Uno

But the solution with the WMI-1 and the iPad should do, doesn't it? Why using another application?

It's not that it doesn't work. But even on it's own I've had some issues with it losing it's own connection.
    Set it up at home, went to the band room. Turned it all on and it didn't know how to connect. Plus I'd like to spend more time tweaking tone on my computer to it, rather than always running the iPad. It's a little latent at times on response.

Also is there a master guide to all the midi functions?

As well as how does one go about downloading or finding others libraries or sharing you're own via the iPad app?
    Like I'm looking for a Gilmore lead tone that bigger sounding or an classic April Wine tone etc... I want to add them to my created library to use them in my live gigs.

Thanks all for the help.
    Very Happy
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 am

GuitargutsMD wrote:But even on it's own I've had some issues with it losing it's own connection.
    Hence my own lack of faith in anything wireless.  You can't beat a well looked after cable for simplicity and reliability.

I thought all of the MIDI functions were described in the Users Manual for the amp.  Is section 8.3 "MIDI implementation chart / controller list" not what you mean?

1 Modulation Intensity
    4 Delay Time, 128 steps, 51 ms to 1360 ms
    7 Volume (soft)
    9 Mute On-Off. On status remains active until the amp channel is changed, the volume parameter is changed or the amp is re-started.
    12 Mod-FX Type
    20 Gain (soft)
    21 Bass
    22 Mid
    23 Treble
    24 Resonance
    25 Presence
    26 Modulation Speed (always for the active modulation effect)
    27 Delay Feedback
    28 Delay Volume
    29 Reverb Volume
    30 Power Soak Switching (5 sectors)
    31 Channel Switching (4 sectors)
    52 Mod-FX On-Off
    53 Delay On-Off
    54 Reverb On-Off
    55 FX-Loop On-Off
    56 Gain (hard)
    57 Volume (hard)
    63 Noise Gate On-Off
    64 Boost On-Off

Oh, and for cheapness too. Wink

Rock On Humble Pie
    Hendock
    Hendock

Post by Hendock Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:13 am

GuitargutsMD wrote:
    Like I'm looking for a Gilmore lead tone that bigger sounding or an classic April Wine tone etc... I want to add them to my created library to use them in my live gigs.
    Maybe you'll find one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tww2kXxTIY
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:32 am

Wow Hendock, that's a great link, probably the best audition of the GM40 I have seen so far!

Bear in mind he's using the Redbox out into the PA so the speaker choice problem a lot of us fight with is non-existent. And it won't suit everyone's taste of course, a fairly high proportion of us are more high gain players who have so much to praise in the GM40.

Forgive me but I'm going to post this in the forum under it's own thread. I'll give you credit of course.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Hendock
    Hendock

Post by Hendock Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:30 am

bordonbert wrote:Forgive me but I'm going to post this in the forum under it's own thread.  I'll give you credit of course.
    That's okay!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:28 pm