The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

iRig MIDI 2 help

bruunenator
    bruunenator

iRig MIDI 2 help Empty iRig MIDI 2 help

Post by bruunenator Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:45 pm

I thank you all in advance for your help regarding this issue and feel confident that I can get the help I need here.

My problem is simple and hopefully the solution will be as well, although considering I am new to MIDI, perhaps the issue is the user. I have a GM 40 Deluxe and an iPad 2017, I recently purchased an "IK Multimedia iRig MIDI 2" and using this device I married up the Amp and the iPad, however the device is not communicating with the amp. I made sure the MIDI channel on the amp is set to 1 along with the channel on the iPad app, but still no-go.

Again, I am new to MIDI, so I am asking the following questions out of ignorance. Does "In" go to "In", and "Out" to "Out" when I connect the iRig MIDI 2 to the amp? Should I in someway be using the "thru"? Should I only be using the "In" or the "Out"? Am I dumber than a box of rocks? confused

Hopefully someone here has experience with using this midi device and can confirm that they have it working with their GM 40 Deluxe.

"Is it just me or is there a metal riff always playing your head too?"
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

iRig MIDI 2 help Empty Re: iRig MIDI 2 help

Post by bordonbert Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:10 pm

"Am I dumber than a box of rocks?" - You and me both Bruunenator! geek

The MIDI designations for In and Out seem to be standardised to refer to the unit they are on. So that means that In->Out and Out->In. The 'Thru' ( Mad as in "thru up" presumably) is basically a way of using the Out socket so you can take in a signal from some other device, use it within this unit if it is relevant, and also pass it on to other units down the line. In this way you could use a single controller with different channels allocated to the amp, say 1, and a pedal unit, say 2. You simply daisychain the controller, amp and pedal in a single line with no splitters. The amp will not respond to the controller's commands to the pedal and the pedal will ignore the commands to the amp with the simplest wiring but the messages still get through to the pedal because the amp is passing them on even though it does not need them itself.

Make sure you have the channel set correctly for both In and Out under the MIDI menu. You need to have both Device and Channel set correctly for both Input and Output.

Try using the MIDI monitor in the app to see what is happening. You will find it in Tools -> MIDI Monitor, or use Ctrl+M. Set the Monitor to display Raw Data and both In and Out in the monitor's View menu. You should then be able to see what messages are being passed around when you make changes at the iPad and at the amp.

I'm no MIDI expert, there are people around who know a lot more on this than I do. Hopefully one of them will maybe confirm this and offer more options if it turns out to be something complicated.

Rock On Humble Pie

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:51 am