The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

GM36 Store switch LED lights without being touched and amp goes quiet.

GtrPat
    GtrPat

GM36 Store switch LED lights without being touched and amp goes quiet. Empty GM36 Store switch LED lights without being touched and amp goes quiet.

Post by GtrPat Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:29 pm

I love this amp. Twice today my GM36 "Store" LED came on without being touched and the amp went quiet. Pushing switches and making adjustments had no impact on this condition. shutting the amp off and on brought it back to life. I use this amp frequently for shows and am concerned that I may be headed for reliability issue.

The amp also has recently been shutting the output off and lighting the speaker kill switch once or twice per show. Pressing the speaker kill switch does not bring the audio back. Again shutting the amp off and on restores operation. It did this about a year ago and I replaced the EL84s. It worked fine for quite a while before starting to do this again. So I replaced the EL84s yesterday (Apex matched quad) and now when testing it before our next show this "Store" LED issue pops up.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any thoughts on a cause or what this indicates? And more importantly is there a solution that I might perform myself? I know which end of the soldering iron not to grab.

Thanks,
    Pat
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

GM36 Store switch LED lights without being touched and amp goes quiet. Empty Re: GM36 Store switch LED lights without being touched and amp goes quiet.

Post by bordonbert Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:21 pm

If you have sets of preset patches that you have set up make sure to save them then perform a factory reset. Do you use either the official iPad app or Fredo's unofficial Windows/Android one to talk to the amp via a MIDI interface? If not how many presets do you use for your stage work?

This could be a few things but it may be just a software glitch due to corruption of the software in the amp. That does happen from time to time and it isn't necessarily from a hardware fault which would then repeat once it is sorted out. Once you perform a reset it picks up all of its software settings from scratch and the amp is back in brand new condition as regards the internal programming.

Beware, you will lose any presets you have created though during the process so do make sure to save them to file first using the app or at least take a written copy of them if there are not too many.

Rock On Humble Pie
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

GM36 Store switch LED lights without being touched and amp goes quiet. Empty Re: GM36 Store switch LED lights without being touched and amp goes quiet.

Post by bordonbert Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:24 pm

If anyone needs to take hard copies of their amp patches this may be useful: GM36 Settings Template

Rock On Humble Pie
    GtrPat
    GtrPat

GM36 Store switch LED lights without being touched and amp goes quiet. Empty Thanks

Post by GtrPat Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:27 am

Thanks for the quick replies! I will try this.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:35 am