The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

FSM 432 MKIII

Viajero2
    Viajero2

FSM 432 MKIII Empty FSM 432 MKIII

Post by Viajero2 Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:15 am

I bought a Grandmeister 36.  I'm 73 and I hate to admit it but I'm having trouble programming it. I want the 'Boost' button on my
     FMS 432 MKIII controller to boost the sound on whatever channel I'm on so I can go from rhythm to lead. But when I click the button
     it changes to another preset channel instead of boosting the sound
    .  How do I make it work as a boost?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

FSM 432 MKIII Empty Re: FSM 432 MKIII

Post by bordonbert Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:12 am

Hi Viajero, don't be at all embarassed about the problem, I'm no MIDI expert either.  Although I can understand how the guts work that side of things just goes over my head.  I have done exactly what you are talking about though, and it should be easy to sort out when we're not communicating through a PDF.

I think we had better make it clear first that the switch marked Boost on the FSM432 only acts as a boost switch when the controller is in "Stompbox Mode".  When the controller is in Preset mode this switch is needed to select the bank of preset patches you want to change to so it can't be used for Boost.  There is a small switch on the back of the unit to flip between these two modes.  In Stompbox mode, the switches [ A ], [ B ], [ C ] and [ D ] select the GM36 channels and their individually remembered (not stored) control settings direct rather than full preset patches stored in the amp.  As there is no need to have [ Bank Up ] and [ Bank Down ] switches in Stompbox mode, these can then be reused to switch the Modulation effects and the Boost, and the [ Tap ] button can switch the Delay effects.

I think all you may need to do is to select Stompbox mode on the back of the FSM432. Try that and let me know if it sorted your problem. If not and I have the wrong end of the stick and you want to control the Boost with its own switch in Preset mode, there is a way but it requires an external switch box (very cheap as it's generic, you don't need a H&K unit!) and a bit more programming of the FSM432.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Viajero2
    Viajero2

FSM 432 MKIII Empty More trouble with my Grandmeister 36

Post by Viajero2 Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I did find the stompbox switch and when I changed it the boost button responded as you said
    it would. But then I decided to reset the amp to factory presets as it was preowned and I decided to try the manufacturers settings. I
    followed the instructions, hold down the 'store' and 'fx access' buttons simultaneously and powered the amp on. Now I have absolutely
    no sound what-so-ever. I hope you can bail me out of this one.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Have you checked on the back that you don't have it set to silent late night mode on the power soak?  You need any setting other than the button mearest the speaker socket.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Viajero2
    Viajero2

FSM 432 MKIII Empty No sound on my Grandmeister.

Post by Viajero2 Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:10 pm

You bailed me out again. I'm beginning to think an old geezer like me should get an amp with four knobs and maybe reverb. This
    Grandmeister is probably too much for me. Anyway, I can't thank you enough for helping me out.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:25 pm

That's no problem at all. Like you I'm getting a bit long in the tooth at 65 and, I will admit, this is a very intimidating amp when you first get it and start trying to use it. It's a steep learning curve coming to terms with everything that it can do. Persevere! It will only take you a few sessions to be up to speed with how the basics work and that will be enough to start enjoying it massively.
    And there will still be oodles of additional stuff waiting for you to discover as you go along.

I came from a basic knobs and switches background then was entice into using a Vox Valvetronix AD120VT which was my first foray into MIDI type control. I spent a long time finding out what that lovely beast can do. From that I learned the principles and the H&K was a natural step. I tried a TM36 first with limited control and I loved it so went for the GM. I still have the others though space and wife are trying to prise us apart.

I promise you the MIDI control is an absolute dream and becomes very natural to use once you just get it. Though there are aspects like knobs that are shared between two functions and which don't necessarily point where they are set until you move them which are counter intuitive but so obvious when the penny drops. We're always here to talk you through anything that goes awry. And it really is a pleasure to help each other.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:43 am