The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Remote app not working on new iPad

SweetPete

Remote app not working on new iPad Empty Remote app not working on new iPad

Post by SweetPete Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:46 pm

Hi,

I last used the Remote app a few years ago with my GM36 on the iPad I had at the time and the WMI-1 wifi thingy.  Worked fine.  I just bought a new iPad, running iOS 14.71.  I installed the wifi and Remote app, and although the wifi is working fine, the Remote app doesn't work.  All I see is a message stating "Connecting to amp - please wait..." and it never connects.

I've emailed H&K, but no response.  Anyone else having an issue with the latest iOS?
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Remote app not working on new iPad Empty Re: Remote app not working on new iPad

Post by bordonbert Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:27 am

(38) WMI-1 after iOS 14 update

I'm not sure if this is the same version you would have but have a look at this first.  It seems that there have been a few issues with Apple's OS recently.  Does anything there help?

Oh, just as an aside. It helps if you go to H&K's Faecesbook page and contact them there. They are a bit slow on email support as they spend a lot of time out of the office at shows and presentations and FB is easier to deal with on the move. Search for "Hughes & Kettner Product/Service".

Rock On Humble Pie
    SweetPete

Post by SweetPete Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:45 am

Thanks for the reply. I read the other message thread you referred to, and it provided some insight into a wifi problem with an early version(s) of iOS 14.x. As I mentioned, the wifi connection appears to be working, at least according to the H&K Connect app. I don't do Facebook, but my wife does, so I'll try leaving a message via her account.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:08 am

Which Remote App are you using?  I mean, have you installed it from the latest version or from a previous installer you used last time?  I would guess you have the latest download but just in case, the one you want is the latest version which is for the Black Spirit as well as the GM40D and GM36.  Black Spirit Remote App

Have you set up the channels correctly so they match on both the amp and the app?

H&K Website wrote:Once started the Editor will try to connect to the Amp (don’t forget to setup the “Input” / “Device” and “Output” / “Device” in the “Midi” menu).

Rock On Humble Pie
    SweetPete

Post by SweetPete Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:46 am

I deleted then re-downloaded whatever the latest version of the Grandmeister36 app is on the Apple Store.  Looks like H&K hasn't updated the app in quite some time.  I followed your link and much to my surprise, I wasn't even aware that there exists a 3rd party Win/Mac app that does the same thing.  I'll give that a try on my Mac and see what happens.  Just hope it works with macOS Big Sur Wink

UPDATE: The Mac version of this app, although a bit buggy (doesn't want to remember what amp it's connected to) works just fine. Unless H&K can provide a fix, I'll just dispense with the iPad.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:20 am

Sounds like a good workaround to me.  In fairness to H&K, everything I have found on this problem suggests that it is Apple who have broken the setup with their iOS update.  The app worked, iOS update, now the app does not work, has to be down to the iOS breaking integrity.  There are other apps out there which are having the same problem.  I'm sure it will be fixed at some point in the future with an update of iOS but I'm not sure how much priority they will give this bug if it only affects a handful of third party apps.  I'm afraid Apple just aren't people sensitive like that!

In all our experience here, almost everyone prefers the third party app by Fredo.  It's a great piece of software though the version we all know is the Windoze one of course.  Your Apple setup is not the common or garden one, or maybe it just has less problems so is not reported as much.  I'm sorry to hear it still has that issue you mention.  Good to note that for future users.

Rock On Humble Pie
    SweetPete

Post by SweetPete Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:52 am

Well, guess what?  I got the iPad app working again!  Completely my fault.  I have a TC Electronics G-Major in my FX loop, also connected via MIDI.  While re-wiring my rack recently, I had the Midi OUT of the G-Major going back to the WMI-1.  I'm now using the G-Major MIDI Out/Thru instead and everything is working as it should.  Obviously the MIDI Out was not transmitting the expected information back to the WMI-1 and Grandmeister 36 iPad app.  All good now!  Sorry for having wasted your time Sad.

CONCLUSION: Grandmeister 36 iPad app works with iOS 14.7.1.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:57 am

Hahaha! No waste of time at all. Glad you fixed it for yourself, the solutions tend to stick better that way. Good news that you aren't a genuine sufferer of the initial problem. We can be a little more confident that iOS 14.7.1 is back up and running again. Enjoy your amp doing what it is best at.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:42 am