The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hughes & Kettner User Forum

The Unofficial guitar amp and cabinets forum for users of Hughes and Kettner products. We are not affiliated with Hughes and Kettner!!

2 posters

Can you do a firmware update on a black spirit 200 head

Fellaini4Life
    Fellaini4Life

Can you do a firmware update on a black spirit 200 head Empty Can you do a firmware update on a black spirit 200 head

Post by Fellaini4Life Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:49 pm

Hi. I bougt a black spirit 200 head some time ago and I haven't really had time to test it properly until recently. I remember seeing talk about updating the firmware on it to fix a pop-noise when you switch channels and some other stuff. However, I can't find how to do it anywhere. Only comments about updating it and if I remember correctly when Ola tested it out in a video he might've said something about a firmware update as well. When I search it online I can see instructions on the floorboard model, but I'd imagine that doesn't work with just the head.

I can't do it from the app and I can't find any files online from H&K for this. After a bit of trying to look for some answers I'm not really sure if I remember something wrong or just understood something incorrecty that you even can update the firmware at all. I'd appreciate any answers/help. Thanks in advance.
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Can you do a firmware update on a black spirit 200 head Empty Re: Can you do a firmware update on a black spirit 200 head

Post by bordonbert Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:59 pm

Hi Fellaini.  You've got me with that one!  I'm not a BS200 user and have never had the chance to play with one I'm afraid.  Like you I can't find any reference to updating the BS200 Head's firmware anywhere.  It isn't in the manual, it isn't in the control app, it isn't on the H&K site, and it doesn't seem to be posted on any other sites.  I've contacted H&K Support through their Facebook page asking them if this is possible.  If they respond I'll pass it on of course.

You may have come across this which is from an old query.  H&K have responded once on a very similar issue.  They said,

H&K Support wrote:"Technically, yes - all this stuff can be updated. And it's only really relevant for the GrandMeisters. But it's unlikely to ever be necessary, and if it is, it'll be a challenge because it's something we'd probably have to do from here!"

That was before the BS200 came out and I would assume that it would be included in this statement.  It is from lower down this thread, Behavior of amp when not connected to the iPad app That said, the GM36 and GM40D heads can't be updated.  The BS200 is a different amp design completely in the analogue area but I wouldn't be surprised to find that a piece of design functionality like that would pretty much be a common theme across their heads so it may well be included in that non-functionality.  What I'm trying to say is, don't hold your breath expecting to find a solution to your problem, it certainly isn't an obvious one if it exists at all.

I'll keep you up to date.

Rock On Humble Pie
    Fellaini4Life
    Fellaini4Life

Can you do a firmware update on a black spirit 200 head Empty Re: Can you do a firmware update on a black spirit 200 head

Post by Fellaini4Life Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:59 am

Hey man. Thanks for asking around for me. I tried contacting H&K about it through their website, but they never responded to me, so i put it on the back burner for some time. Now that I play more again I thought I might as well look into it once more. I first asked about this on Reddit and got redirected here. I heard if you don't know, no one will Very Happy. Appreciate all the help and info!
    bordonbert
    bordonbert

Post by bordonbert Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:53 am

Hahaha! I came across that Reddit post - and the advice. It made me blush! Embarassed I think he gives me too much credit. The only thing I try to keep is an open mind to evidence based argument. I love to find I'm wrong in something I thought I understood, assuming it is genuinely proven by fact and not internet myth, as it means I am learning and going forwards myself. I always take the engineering road as that is what this whole field is really about. You can't buck the Physics! (Unless you have a pair of golden bat ears and an imagination to match.)

Yes, H&K are not good at email responses. They are much more reliable responding to queries on their Facebook page, worth remembering for the future. They have changed the format of the page so your questions are now private messages. Originally they were in plain sight for everyone to read and that meant they almost had to respond but now they can get away with not responding so promptly. They told me that their support team is also responsible for trade shows and seminars. That means they spend quite a lot of time on the road and they reckon FB is easier to access and deal with. I'm not so sure of where the email problem lies myself but they are pretty good at giving honest information. Their tech team is always open to assisting openly in my experience.

I will keep you up to date with any response from them.

Rock On Humble Pie

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:46 pm